Compare Breakdown Cover Car Breakdown Discussion

Options
1235710

Comments

  • muddlemand
    Options
    I have the same renewal offer with AutoAid and the last time i used them, they took ages - initially told me within an hour but it was nearer three, then the breakdown guy said he'd only been called out 15 minutes earlier.

    So I'm looking on CompareBreakdownCover.co.uk, hoping to use the 17.5% discount code via MSE. Lots of prices better than £60, including Eversure's Platinum policy at £32.10! But the link doesn't work. The website itself (eversure.com/breakdown/) isn't down, but my quote there is £43.31.

    They have no phone line, only a contact form, where it says "We always aim to answer all queries within two working days. If you have not heard from us after two working days, please contact us on the second working day.".

    I'm going to buy now at £43, as I need my policy to begin on Monday and today's Friday, but will use the contact form in the hope that they honour the £32 quote (ie refund the difference), as that's a legit quote and it's hardly this customer's fault that the link's badly coded. I'll update here with how well they respond.

    I've printed both quote pages to PDF so I have proof of what they said!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I received Autoaid's renewal quote this year £59.99 up from £43.31, as did jonathontaylor999 above. A 38.5% increase after several years, and having never claimed. As every single quote via the MSE compare thingy is less than this, I can't see how MSE can continue to punt Autoaid.

    Can you tell me where I can get platinum cover for a couple with 5 vehicles for less money?
  • muddlemand
    Options
    Immediate update! Once on the buying page, there is the option of live chat, so I did that. I have to say service was excellent compared with many online chat experiences I've had. She insisted they can't refund after purchase but wanted the link that hadn't worked, saying the problem was with MSE website.

    I don't know how it would have ended up (I'd probably have gone with the £43 and lived with it, as it's still better than the rest for better cover than most) - but while we were chatting I tried the Buy Now link again and it worked. So I have bought.

    She still wanted the link that had failed, for their developers to check it out, so I hope that means customer service is good generally.

    A bit more interesting than expected , and it took longer, but I'm happy now and it hasn't left a bad taste in the mouth after all.
  • muddlemand
    Options
    muddlemand wrote: »
    Immediate update! Once on the buying page, there is the option of live chat, so I did that. I have to say service was excellent compared with many online chat experiences I've had.
    To be fair, it's normal to get better service when buying or considering it, than after a company has "caught" the prey, ahem, customer - but let's hope it's a good sign if I do ever need to call them out.
  • muddlemand
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Can you tell me where I can get platinum cover for a couple with 5 vehicles for less money?
    You'd have to do the research yourself, it all depends on the vehicle and exactly what cover you want etc etc. (eg I added home start or mine would have been even cheaper.) I noticed you can add both drivers to the same policy as long you live together but I can't shop around for you. :)
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Can you tell me where I can get platinum cover for a couple with 5 vehicles for less money?
    Not sure how this Autoaid platinum compares in terms of features, but you can get unlimited vehicles cover for a couple with the Breakdown cover bundled in the Nationwide FlexPlus account (if joint). It's double the price, so not really worth it for the breakdown cover alone but if you need even one of the other 2 insurances it's well worth it. If you need all tree it's a complete no-brainer. For that price/quality there is no competition
  • muddlemand
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    Not sure how this Autoaid platinum compares in terms of features, but you can get unlimited vehicles cover for a couple with the Breakdown cover bundled in the Nationwide FlexPlus account (if joint). It's double the price, so not really worth it for the breakdown cover alone but if you need even one of the other 2 insurances it's well worth it. If you need all tree it's a complete no-brainer. For that price/quality there is no competition
    The Platinum isn't AutoAid, it's Eversure (who are CBC). - just for clarity.

    I think AutoAid just do one level of cover, if i remember right.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    muddlemand wrote: »
    You'd have to do the research yourself, it all depends on the vehicle and exactly what cover you want etc etc. (eg I added home start or mine would have been even cheaper.) I noticed you can add both drivers to the same policy as long you live together but I can't shop around for you. :)


    I am not expecting anyone to shop around for me.
    I was making a point about the coverage.
    It may still be an exellent deal for many people and thats why MSE show it.
    Just because its not best for everyone doesn't mean they should not mention it.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    Not sure how this Autoaid platinum compares in terms of features, but you can get unlimited vehicles cover for a couple with the Breakdown cover bundled in the Nationwide FlexPlus account (if joint). It's double the price, so not really worth it for the breakdown cover alone but if you need even one of the other 2 insurances it's well worth it. If you need all tree it's a complete no-brainer. For that price/quality there is no competition


    Thanks for the tip.
    Whenever I've compared the bank accounts don't work well for me (I do scuba diving so don't take standard travel cover).
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    muddlemand wrote: »
    The Platinum isn't AutoAid, it's Eversure (who are CBC). - just for clarity.

    I think AutoAid just do one level of cover, if i remember right.


    Autoaid (last time I checked) cover repair, at home, recovery and onward travel.
    This has been referred to by MSE for a long time as "platinum".


    Some people may want more basic cover of course.


    Is there a "platinum" one thats cheaper in general?
    I'm not expecting anyone to shop around for my specific circs but trying to get to the bottom of why some people feel it's not a good product, when it's platinum for a couple for multiple vehicles.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards