Hugh's War on Waste

edited 4 March 2016 at 11:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
603 replies 71.5K views

Replies

• greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MTSM - the private sector don't make people redundant unless they have to. It's too expensive. They manage people out.

You may have worked in the public sector, but I'm not sure you understand how the private sector works. There has always been much less job security and much less flexibility in the private sector. Many people chose to work in the public sector for precisely those reasons - more likelihood of a 'job for life' at a time when they no longer existed in the private sector, better workplace benefits including more family-friendly and flexible working policies as well as pensions.

Many of the very expensive public-sector pension schemes are now being reformed, as well as many of the other policies - but I know many of those who have moved from the public to private sectors have found the transition very difficult (or in some cases impossible due to lack of transferable skills). I suspect there are plenty on MSE who have made the change and can comment on the pros and cons.
  • edited 16 November 2015 at 5:32PM
    VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 November 2015 at 5:32PM
    greenbee wrote: »
    MTSM - the private sector don't make people redundant unless they have to. It's too expensive. They manage people out.

You may have worked in the public sector, but I'm not sure you understand how the private sector works. There has always been much less job security and much less flexibility in the private sector. Many people chose to work in the public sector for precisely those reasons - more likelihood of a 'job for life' at a time when they no longer existed in the private sector, better workplace benefits including more family-friendly and flexible working policies as well as pensions.

Many of the very expensive public-sector pension schemes are now being reformed, as well as many of the other policies - but I know many of those who have moved from the public to private sectors have found the transition very difficult (or in some cases impossible due to lack of transferable skills). I suspect there are plenty on MSE who have made the change and can comment on the pros and cons.
    I've worked in both....and can say the private sector has been a complete eye-opener to me. I don't buy the "impossible" argument, I actually think the main thing that stops integration into the private sector is shift of mindset to a culture based on a different premise, ie a drive for profit rather than the greater good. If people don't succeed in the private sector, it's because they don't want to.

Having said that, I overheard receptionists at my local surgery bemoaning a colleague taking holiday. Quote: "It will just be the three of us against the rest of the world". If you start with an adversarial approach, you're in the wrong job (even as a private sector employee delivering a public sector service).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • edited 16 November 2015 at 6:19PM
    fuddlefuddle Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 November 2015 at 6:19PM
    Unpaid carers save the UK economy £87 billion a year.

2/3 of the care packages that I had on my books were social service packages. 1/3 of the packages were funded by pensions. I live in an area that is quite modestly affluent. It's also worth mentioning that there are care companies out there that charge social services the full cost as they are committed to paying their carers a decent wage. Social services have to pay this price because of a lack of carers.

The strain on the service is apparent already. At least at the moment some people have enough in their pension to contribute...

Also to add that in the private sector you can't just make unwanted people redundant. Redundancy laws are actually quite protective of employees and businesses have to jump through hoops in order to cover their responsibilities to the employee. Redundancy only comes lawfully if there is absolutely no other alternative to offer.
  • Rainy-DaysRainy-Days Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Arguments for and against. I initally worked in the private sector in manufacturing and it was only when I went for voluntary redundancy (my mum was terminally ill at that time) that I then was able to get a resettlement package in which they paid my tuition fees as well as a grant towards my books. I was lucky I was on Final Salary very very few companies offer that now.

The thing is going from private into public sector was a massive eye opener. Things in the public sector work at a different pace and in some cases the wanton waste of public money is frankly staggering. To such an extent that had it been private then the firm would have gone bust decades ago. If I had done it the opposite way then quite honestly I would have never been able to cope with the transition.

The main driver for really good change came from allot of small and medium charities who had a very pro-active can do approach to issues and problem solving. The worst was having to deal with LA's and especially Social Workers who frankly could not give a damn and put up every argument possible to try and negate their duties upon it. Add to that I have met some utterly bone idle useless lazy ones, who quite frankly were hanging around the backs of the dustbins when the common sense was being handed out.
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • fuddlefuddle Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh that's not fair. Social work is utterly, utterly exhausting. You have to be talented to be a success and those that go for the position either sink or swim. I would not do that job for toffee.

I have had my fair share of wall banging with dealing with social workers but they are a cog in a large team who have a lot of teams to work with. We all have to take responsibility and liaise for the good of the individual we work for.

Anyway. This is way off topic for waste. :( I'm shushed :)
  • edited 16 November 2015 at 7:45PM
    Rainy-DaysRainy-Days Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 16 November 2015 at 7:45PM
    Being at the 'coal-face' Fuddle you really see peoples true metal.

Sadly many of them have been found seriously wanting. Too many serious failings running down the years has shown the public - and those that work with SW that there are some (not all) that really are not fit for the job. The worst ones tend to be those who have gone from school, had a gap year in Guatamala (or whereever) done Uni and then walked straight into a job at the LA. Zero life experience and as we are constantly being told when things go really damn well wrong:-

"Lessons have been learned".

Well no they haven't because we kept seeing the same patterns being repeated over and again and Room 101's extra large rug kept getting rolled out to sweep the rubbish up underneath it! The good ones however, carried a very heavy workload!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • mumpsmumps Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    I am retired but worked roughly half my life in public sector and half in private sector. I didn't find it that much of a change. The thing I do think has changed is that back in the 70s I was always being told I was a fool for working in the public sector because I could make so much more in the private sector, at MTSM says part of the "package" was the promise of our pension. By sometimes in the 90s I was working in the private sector and was being told I was a fool as public sector jobs were more secure, better pensions etc. I don't know if I just know alot of contrary people, if I am just always in the wrong place at the wrong time or if things had really changed. I think it is the last but don't quote me on that.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • GigervampGigervamp Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to say that I'm enjoying the way the conversation in this thread meanders. :)
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    13K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Just want to say that I'm enjoying the way the conversation in this thread meanders. :)
    :D Me, too.

Just damned annoyed that my gold plated local government pension is gonna be £24 a week in nearly 20 years' time. Gold-plating ain't what it used to be, is it?

Seriously, I'm often left boggle-eyed and envious about the stories pals working for FTSE 100 companies tell me about the perks and junketing they get. I've never junketed or perked anywhere in my life although I once was allowed to have a promotional hand towel left by a rep from a previous employment. I still have it, you know.:rotfl:

A line manager once told us that our Christmas perk was that we got to keep our jobs. Having once been made redundant on Christmas week, I was satisfied with that.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • GigervampGigervamp Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, my husband's LA pension will also be a paltry amount. Not enough to live on now, let alone when he retires in 25 years.

It's only the top brass who get the golden handshakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals