Hugh's War on Waste

Comments

• WOW just caught up with episode 2, it was very clear to me that Morrisons were not interested in changing their policies. It will be very interesting to see what comes out of the follow up programme next year especially with the householders, we all know how we can pick something up with enthusiasm for it to dwindle and revert back to our old ways.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    WOW just caught up with episode 2, it was very clear to me that Morrisons were not interested in changing their policies. It will be very interesting to see what comes out of the follow up programme next year especially with the householders, we all know how we can pick something up with enthusiasm for it to dwindle and revert back to our old ways.
    :( Yeah, I thought that they showed themselves in a very poor light, offering up going-over courgettes labelled as class 2 alongside class 1 at the same price. Oooh, and people bought the fresher ones? There's a surprise.

It's the level of proof you'd expect of an experiment conducted by 9 year old. I'd like to have seen them offer curvy courgettes or other veg, at a very slight discount but of absolutely equal freshness, say 2p a kilo off, and sit back for a month and see what happens.

I took a glut of oddly-shaped and very overlarge courgettes (bordering on marrows) into my office this summer on a few occasions. They had been harvested early that same morning. I was giving them away but some colleagues felt they wanted to give me a little token of their appreciation. People kept raving about them and coming back to tell me how nice they were and what they'd made with them.

Golly, some of those courgettes were over a foot long, most of them weren't at all symetrical and some curved like bananas, all had a yellowish stripe on the dark green rind where they'd lain on the ground. Not one jack of them would have passed into a supermarket and they were all very good stuff.

Perhaps the secret would be to get more people growing their own and understanding that veg don't come stamped from a mold, they come in all shapes and sizes, and that's no reflection on quality.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    edited 17 November 2015 at 8:25AM
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :( Yeah, I thought that they showed themselves in a very poor light, offering up going-over courgettes labelled as class 2 alongside class 1 at the same price. Oooh, and people bought the fresher ones? There's a surprise.

It's the level of proof you'd expect of an experiment conducted by 9 year old. I'd like to have seen them offer curvy courgettes or other veg, at a very slight discount but of absolutely equal freshness, say 2p a kilo off, and sit back for a month and see what happens.
    The guy in the one store that tried this 'experiment' should be sacked or at the very least disciplined for treating customers with contempt.

To put 2 trays of courgettes of obviously vastly different quality with the lesser quality marked as 'ugly' but both priced the same was no 'experiment' at all.
    I couldn't believe he said to HFW - "the better quality ones are selling more than the others". No !!!! sherlock! smiley-rolleyes010.gif
    Maybe if you'd used your one brain cell and priced them at half the price of the better quality, your 'experiment' might have produced different results.

Either the guy was incredibly stupid and couldn't understand HFW's point or he thought he was very clever and believed all Morrisons customers were stupid.

Either way, Morrisons would never get a penny from me ever again.
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Makes me really mad seeing those pictures! How difficult would it have been to ring up the local Domestic Violence Co-Ordinator and enquire if any of these bikes could be donated to children who are currently spending their first Christmas in a Refuge?

They could have marked the underneath of the bike frame with maybe something like TD for Tesco Donated, which means it cannot be returned for cash value if they were bothered about it getting returned etc!

Those bikes at the very most would have maybe a puncture or a few scratches on them; any parts missing could have been replaced easily. A child in Refuge (and I have worked with many) would be utterly elated to get something like that!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Rainy-Days wrote: »
    Makes me really mad seeing those pictures! How difficult would it have been to ring up the local Domestic Violence Co-Ordinator and enquire if any of these bikes could be donated to children who are currently spending their first Christmas in a Refuge?

They could have marked the underneath of the bike frame with maybe something like TD for Tesco Donated, which means it cannot be returned for cash value if they were bothered about it getting returned etc!

Those bikes at the very most would have maybe a puncture or a few scratches on them; any parts missing could have been replaced easily. A child in Refuge (and I have worked with many) would be utterly elated to get something like that!

From the article:
    A Tesco spokesman said: ‘Our Stretford store chose to dispose of a number of three-year-old, ex-display bikes that had parts missing and could not be reduced to clear or offered to colleagues.
    ‘In future, we will ensure any similar items are first offered to local charities, as we do with a large range of products.’
    Tesco said the decision was made at store level and does not apply as a policy regionally or nationally. It said it was a genuine mistake not to offer the bikes to local charities and groups first.

It's patently obvious that what these companies put on their websites about helping homeless charities etc is just so much rubbish (see what I did there? ;)).

Maybe policies are being set at a strategic level but it sure as hell isn't feeding back down to the soldiers on the ground.

What a shocking waste!

If Tesco had used the excuse that they couldn't donate the bikes because of Health & Safety issues, it might just have sat a little better with people - if that was the truth of course.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'd be interested in hearing how Morrison's year-on-year trade fares in the Oct-Dec 15 quarter - roll on 2016!

But let's not lose sight of the big picture, the true panto baddie is Mr T's.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Rainy-Days wrote: »

They claim they're ex-display bikes with parts missing. How on earth can they lose parts if they're just on display. Some of them are still in their boxes so definitely couldn't have any parts missing. I'm sure a children's home could have used them.
  • How hard would it be for the manager of that store to have found contact details for Men in Sheds (ie the mens group that refurbishes garden tools) and ask if they might have any leads on who could revamp those bikes?

The local Transition Town group would, very likely, have an idea also of who might be able to do so.

A quick wander into a local bike shop and chat with any assistant there of the "bike enthusiast" variety might also yield results.

One way or another I believe it would probably have been possible to find someone with the knowhow/access to spare parts/etc to refurb these bikes.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I'd be interested in hearing how Morrison's year-on-year trade fares in the Oct-Dec 15 quarter - roll on 2016!

But let's not lose sight of the big picture, the true panto baddie is Mr T's.

Can any of the supermarkets be trusted? It seems as if there is a "new" story every week implicating one or other so is it a case of choosing the "least worst"? But then again, I remember back in the 60s being told that market traders used to display their best, freshest fruit & veg. at the front of the stall but served you from the back where stuff wasn't so good. So I do like the self-service aspect of supermarkets - the thing is I don't buy more than I need and don't chuck it out unnecessarily.

I received my local government pension this year from employment back in the 70s - the grand sum of £11.71 a month! Still hasn't brought my income up to the tax threshold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure