Alternatives to staying in the middle of San Fran

Options

Comments

• User3890
    User3890 Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2015 at 4:28PM
    Options
    I booked Cow Hollow and Lombard Motor Inn - they are similar it seems in price and quality. I haven't decided which to cancel yet. Got around £85 per night all inclusive via expedia.
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    We stayed here and really liked it and the location.

http://www.sfmayflowerhotel.com

Personally, I think you need to be actually in San Francisco. You will find it a hassle and time consuming to travel in and out.

You don't need a car in San Francisco, in fact it's a positive hindrance because of the traffic, the nature of the roads, and the high price of parking. We started our trip with 5 nights in San Francisco, then picked up a car which we dropped back at the airport when we left
  • dazanteney4
    Options
    We have no choice about the car as its slap bang in the middle of the holiday.
    I've checked the cow hollow and I'll check the second when I get home.
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    Cow Hollow and the Lombard Motor Inn are probably your best options if you will have a car. They are a bit further out but I think they both have car parks. There is good public transport in San Francisco. The Mayflower does have a car park but its first come first served, not bookable, and the entrance is very tight.

Have you looked at the San Francisco forum on TripAdvisor? There's lots of very good information.
  • gracie10
    gracie10 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We dropped our car off and picked another one up when we left as it was in the middle of our holiday to. No problem doing that, saved paying about 30 usd a day.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    dazanteney4, do you know about BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit)?
    BART home page: https://www.bart.gov
    List of BART stations and system map: https://www.bart.gov/stations
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • codo
    codo Posts: 358 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote here for Cow Hollow Motor Inn. We stayed there in August and loved the location, lovely neighbourhood with lots of restaurants and shops. Half hour walk to Fishermans Wharf or no. 30 bus from round the corner. Free parking as well.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    codo wrote: »
    Another vote here for Cow Hollow Motor Inn. We stayed there in August and loved the location, lovely neighbourhood with lots of restaurants and shops. Half hour walk to Fishermans Wharf or no. 30 bus from round the corner. Free parking as well.

You do know that FW is a Tourist trap and a dump that is best avoided in San Fran?

Loads more places to go :cool:
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    blindman wrote: »
    You do know that FW is a Tourist trap and a dump that is best avoided in San Fran?

Loads more places to go :cool:

You don't have to pay anything to go there...especially if you live nearby. I enjoyed seal watching from the pier. No charge. It was just a part of our bicycle ride.
  • dazanteney4
    Options
    I did find a holiday inn in berekly which is only a couple of hundred metres from the train station, was about £100 plus $8 train ticket. This might be an option?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure