Alternatives to staying in the middle of San Fran

Options
dazanteney4
dazanteney4 Posts: 200 Forumite
Hi Everyone,

Me and my partner are looking to stay in/around San Fran for 3 nights (sun 5th - weds 8th june), when checking the hotel prices in SF they are extremely expensive.
Does anyone have any recommendations for places just outside of SF? We did find a place called half moon bay which is a 45minute drive according to google maps.
We hoped to pay no more than £120 a night but its a nice hotel i can stretch to £130. 3-4star pref.
Thanks!

Darren

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much is this hotel Holiday Inn San Francisco-Golden Gateway for your stay?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    An alternative would be to look at guest houses or inns in the city. You should be find something nice for your budget, and be in the middle of a really great city.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Don't you have months in your world? June perhaps?

Link
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look at SFO airport hotels, which can be a lot easier on the wallet.
    Also (& I'll whisper it quietly, so avoid offending the San Fran lovers), consider staying in Oakland, rather than San Fran - its going back a while, but Mrs Cat & I much preferred Oakland to San Fran.
  • dazanteney4
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    How much is this hotel Holiday Inn San Francisco-Golden Gateway for your stay?

The prices for this aren't available on thier website or hotels.com yet :-(
  • dazanteney4
    Options
    Have a look at SFO airport hotels, which can be a lot easier on the wallet.
    Also (& I'll whisper it quietly, so avoid offending the San Fran lovers), consider staying in Oakland, rather than San Fran - its going back a while, but Mrs Cat & I much preferred Oakland to San Fran.

I was always under the impression that Oakland was a dump?? Do you have anywhere you would recommend?
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2015 at 8:22AM
    Options
    I was always under the impression that Oakland was a dump?? Do you have anywhere you would recommend?

I'm sorry Daz, it was a while ago and I can't recall where we stayed.
    I can recall us having a brew in a nice coffee shop, after going around USS Hornet
    and the conversation was along the lines of "you know what, I thought that Oakland was going to be a dump, but its alright" -- it doesn't help you much, but its may be a thought.
    Alternatively, we thought that San Francisco was a huge "care in the community" project that had gone badly wrong. Many, many , odd, strange, peculier and 'alternative lifestyle' people.

Its not a place I'd look to return to.
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Options
    Try Lombard Street for cheaper hotels in San Fran - we stayed in the Cow Hollow Motor Inn for around £100 per night in August, and it has free parking. There are a few hotels around there that will be similar.

Lombard Street is a really good location - public transport links are good and you can walk to Chinatown or Fisherman's Wharf in about 20 minutes. There are lots of hotels around Union Square but they tend to be expensive and right on the edge of the some of the rougher districts.

We really liked San Francisco - it's a city you can walk around or get buses etc as opposed to having to drive. We only went to the baseball in Oakland, but it looked fine!
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2015 at 11:06AM
    Options
    The prices for this aren't available on thier website or hotels.com yet :-(

Looks like its full for those dates.

Have you tried Priceline?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,222 Forumite
    Options
    I suggest that if you consider out of town hotels you look at public transport maps and choose somewhere convenient for a Bart or Caltrain station so you can easily get into the centre. Oakland already suggested is on Bart lines. Trains and buses are very good and cheap.

Sausalito would be a lovely place to stay and get the ferry in - probably not a cheap place for accommodation though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure