PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Please

Options

Comments

• boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys

I had lots of tomatoes in a veggie box delievered a few weeks back. Ive still got a good dozen I think, is there any way I can use lots? I was thinking maybe of peeling and cooking them and then freezing for use later in casseroles-would this work?

Im using tinned tomatoes so much, I dont seem to have much use for fresh ones lately.

Any ideas welcome!!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I made a lovely pasta dish using fresh tomatoes. It's in Gingham's Summer meal planner. Hang on while I find the link............

.........here 'tis - post 68.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • jannyannie
    jannyannie Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    When I have a glut of toms I either cook them up, taking the skins off first by soaking them for 5 mins in boiling water. Add some onion, garlic and herbs and you have a base for all sorts of things. This can then be frozen. Also you can make tomatoe chutney. Yum! Yum!:j
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    oooh I love tomato chutney, is it easy to make? how long can it be stored for?

If you have a recipe I would love it!!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi boo,

There's a thread on using up fresh tomatoes that should give you lots of ideas so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • samtheman_2
    Options
    Have got 6 tomatoes from my dads garden. What do I do with em? - I don't like salad - otherwise anything goes!
  • saveaholic68
    Options
    I make my own pizzas. You can get the base mix from the supermarket - it costs about 60p and you get enough for 2 bases. I then make the sauce using 6 tomatoes and an onion.
    Dice the onion, and soften in a little oil. Then skin the tomatoes (by immersing in boiling water), chop up small, and add to the pan with the onion and some herbs, until it reduces to make a sauce. Note though, it won't go smooth it will stay a bit 'chunky'. Then put on the pizza base and add topping of your choice.
  • roger_c
    roger_c Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My friend made an amazing tomato pie/bake thing, think she said it was by Ainsley Harriot! Wish I had the recipe!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Take a look at this older thread - lots of ideas there - TOOOOO many tomatoes.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • curlywurlygirly
    Options
    And no ideas of what to go with them, other then the usual boring standby of making and freezing tomato sauce....

Any ideas?

TIA!
    Is it payday yet?:rolleyes:

Comping since August and won: Tickets to the ideal home show, My Little Pony Playset, a naughty prize, £5 cash, Hot Fuzz goody bag, Carbon Monoxide Detector, Tickets to Good Food Show, Photo print from London editions:j

:T Thanks to all posters!:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport