PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

TOOOOO Many Tomatoes, Help Please

Options

Comments

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you said you have onion. Do you have bacon, peppers and potato? If so dice the potatoes and boil them for a few minutes then place on a baking tray in a hot oven and let them roast. Meanwhile in a wok (or frying pan), cook the bacon, then add the onion (sliced into bite sized pieces), the peppers (cut small), some pepper then the tomatoes (chopped small) and keep it moving. Once the potatoes are ready serve the tomatoes and bacon on the plate topped with the cubed roast potato.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hot Tomato Crumble

750g tomatoes
    45g butter
    2 chopped spring onions
    250g breadcrumbs
    sugar, salt and pepper, to taste

Skin tomatoes and slice thickly. Grease an ovenproof dish with some of the butter and place a layer of tomato slaces with some of the spring onions and breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper. Repeat until ingredients are used up and dot the final layer of breadcrumbs with the remaining butter. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 190C, 370F, Gas 5.

Exact amounts/type of bread crumbs etc are not important

From: A Glut of Tomatoes and Salad Vegetables by Ann Carr
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dh is really funny with his pasta and it has to be proper sauce :rolleyes:
    Suppose I could always do something like chili con carne?? :confused:

what do you mean it has to be a proper sauce? roasting tomatoes with garlic & olive oil- that IS proper- isnt it?

roast them for pasta sauce/ curry base/ spag bol/ chilli
    sliced tomatoes on a pizzza?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • elliot's_mum
    Options
    How about tomatoes, with chopped courgettes, cooked in butter in the saucepan. When its all bubbled nicely together and the courgette is soft, stir in some grated cheese. Yum yum with pasta.....
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For something completely different how about bruschetta? Chop toms up really small, finely dice some onion and add it in with a dollop of good olive oil, salt and pepper. Let sit till the juices come out a bit. Toast some thick bread (preferably italian, eg ciabatta, focaccia etc) rub with garlic and put toms on top including juice which will sink into the bread. Very yummy.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dh is really funny with his pasta and it has to be proper sauce :rolleyes:
    Suppose I could always do something like chili con carne?? :confused:

To an Italian, a simple "ragu" of tomato, onion, garlic and basil IS the proper sauce for pasta!
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • poppyjay
    poppyjay Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    will not let husband shop again he has brought loads of cherry tomatoes(must have been cheap) have no idea what to do with them any ideas thanks
  • jovichick123
    jovichick123 Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mmmm cherry tomatoes, I'd be tempted to make bruschetta, Delia's recipe is yummy http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/bruschetta-with-tomato-and-basil,1427,RC.html (sorry for long link!)

You could also use some for a pasta dish with a light dressing and maybe Feta cheese?

Am sure someone else will be along with more ideas soon!

Sarah xx
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Puree them and keep for soup later on - I make butternut squash and tomato or red pepper and tomato- just make up own recipes
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport