Abuse...whilst shopping

Options

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ab1982 wrote: »
    I thought that was kind of the point of an anonymous internet forum, someone posts a statement then others give their opinion which by its nature will probably be judgemental.

Blingaling86 said that he/she is 29 doesn’t use any walking aids and actively seeks to fight anyone who questions their right to park in a disabled bay. It seems to me that based on the last point that if you’re happy enough to fight people in a car park its odds on that you are well enough to walk across it too.

I’m sure there is more to it than that though.

It could be this kind of statement that leads to people questioning others right to use disabled parking spaces. For the record I have never and wouldn’t query anyone for parking in a disabled bay.

I agree with the above. When able bodied people see endless disabled parking spaces and those who do not seem to need a blue badge, it causes problems for people who genuinely need it. I am not saying that the poster is one of these people. But it is the minority of people who do not really need a blue badge that cause the ill feeling to the genuinely disabled. Just because you are entitled to use something, does not mean you have to use it when you don't need to.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As the rules seem to be pretty stringent when it comes to obtaining a BB I highly doubt the owners are not entitled to use it 100% of the time, it's the people who use someone's BB entitlement who are the problem.
    At lot of disabled and able bodied people need to remember not everyone is disabled on the outside and many illnesses fluctuate so someone 'bouncing' around getting out of the car may well drag their feet back to the car.
  • preciousillusions
    preciousillusions Posts: 543 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2015 at 2:49PM
    Options
    That's disgusting. I am so sorry. As someone who has a disability that isn't physically evident it really angers and upsets me when people make judgements such as this. It's completely ignorant and I really hope you are okay now OP and that lady feels proud of herself for being completely out of line and awful to you.

Eta: Oh wow, I see some of those judgemental people are in this thread too. :angry:
  • Bingaling86
    Options
    Haha, I do love it when people take 'spoiling for a fight' and run with it (ironically, speaking). I meant, a verbal fight, not physical.

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type III - Hypermobility type. I also have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. I wear orthotics in my shoes, wear wrist and finger splints, have back spasms 2-3 times a day, have severe myopia, IBS, depression, am on extremely strong painkillers and can't walk or stand for very long before I feel faint.

But I'm 29 and don't use a wheelchair, so of course, I couldn't possibly need a disabled badge.

OPEN YOUR MINDS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    As the rules seem to be pretty stringent when it comes to obtaining a BB I highly doubt the owners are not entitled to use it 100% of the time, it's the people who use someone's BB entitlement who are the problem.
    At lot of disabled and able bodied people need to remember not everyone is disabled on the outside and many illnesses fluctuate so someone 'bouncing' around getting out of the car may well drag their feet back to the car.

Exactly. My husband may be able to walk from the second rank of the car park to the door and get to the bread aisle, but after he has stood in the queue to pay, he will be right on the edge of his energy to get back to the car and will have to sit a while before setting off.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • ab1982
    ab1982 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    Haha, I do love it when people take 'spoiling for a fight' and run with it (ironically, speaking). I meant, a verbal fight, not physical.

I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type III - Hypermobility type. I also have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. I wear orthotics in my shoes, wear wrist and finger splints, have back spasms 2-3 times a day, have severe myopia, IBS, depression, am on extremely strong painkillers and can't walk or stand for very long before I feel faint.

But I'm 29 and don't use a wheelchair, so of course, I couldn't possibly need a disabled badge.

OPEN YOUR MINDS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

If you dont mean it dont say it then.
  • Bingaling86
    Options
    I did mean it, hence why I said it. A fight can be verbal or physical, but I didn't realise I had to be so specific (in a disability forum, of all places) that I was obligated to differentiate between the two. I incorrectly assumed people would know the difference. I was wrong.
  • ab1982
    Options
    I did mean it, hence why I said it. A fight can be verbal or physical, but I didn't realise I had to be so specific (in a disability forum, of all places) that I was obligated to differentiate between the two. I incorrectly assumed people would know the difference. I was wrong.

Don’t worry you are not obligated to do anything you just seemed to be upset that somebody would question how a disability would enable you to have a fight but not walk across a car park but I understand what you mean.

Good luck with your disabilities and hope you don’t get too many funny looks at car parks, I reckon you should get yourself a walking aid to t**t anybody who questions you with it.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tell anyone who accuses me of abusing my badge to !!!! off, don't have time to deal with ignorant losers.
  • ab1982
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I tell anyone who accuses me of abusing my badge to !!!! off, don't have time to deal with ignorant losers.

Thats considered a compliment in Glasgow isnt it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure