5p bag charge - your views

edited 2 October 2015 at 11:59AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
769 replies 123.9K views

Replies

• LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do shop assistants personally get fined if they fail to charge for a 5p bag or just the employer/company?
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    LeeUK wrote: »
    Do shop assistants personally get fined if they fail to charge for a 5p bag or just the employer/company?
    Think it's the employer. Though the employer may want to do disciplinary on them.
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    prowla wrote: »
    I keep forgetting to bring my bags.
    Zandoni wrote: »
    Me too.....

you've had over a month now to get used to it, have you short time memory loss?

Oh, and you don't 'bring' a bag, you 'take' a bag with you,,,,,if you remember.
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• Sharon87Sharon87 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get the 5p charge on plastic bags, but it's encouraging other companies who don't need to charge for bags charge for them.

I went into Costa, bought a hot panini, I wanted a bag as it was hot in my hand. They are paper bags and they wanted 5p for one! Yet Primark don't charge for their paper bags, Eat doesn't either, so why do Costa?

I do hate when I forget to bring a plastic bag, it happened today, so I fit as much as I can into one bag.
  • YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sick and tired of people saying they still forget to bring their bags.

How hard is it to fold a bag for life into a small pouch and stick it in your coat or handbag? I have five bags in my coat and handbag

Which company do you work for? Asking just so that 1) I don't upset you or your colleagues if I ever happen to forget my bags and 2) to make sure I spend my money somewhere else.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    you've had over a month now to get used to it, have you short time memory loss?

Oh, and you don't 'bring' a bag, you 'take' a bag with you,,,,,if you remember.

I have a terrible short term memory. I'm constantly forgetting where I've put my keys or my phone. I often go out and forget to take things I need.

I often forget to take a shopping bag when I leave home. I often reach a shop and realise I forgot to bring a bag.

(You take the bag from home. You bring it to the shop.)
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just before the change my friend bought all the 3p bags he could from aldi in order to sell to ocado (who give 5p for any bag returned, even from other supermeerkats). Giving Monet to charity might actually stimulate the economy as the poor are quick to spend what they get. Btw sainsbugs isn't yet directly giving it to charity
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just before the change my friend bought all the 3p bags he could from aldi in order to sell to ocado (who give 5p for any bag returned, even from other supermeerkats). Giving Monet to charity might actually stimulate the economy as the poor are quick to spend what they get. Btw sainsbugs isn't yet directly giving it to charity

Well a Monet is pretty generous ;)
  • edited 11 November 2015 at 8:34PM
    frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 November 2015 at 8:34PM
    Hi,
    Nick_C wrote: »
    (You take the bag from home. You bring it to the shop.)

yes, of course, you can take a bag from home, but when you get to the checkout you don't say to the cashier,'I've bringed my own bag you
    would say I've brought my own bag, or no thanks, I have a bag.
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

yes, of course, you can take a bag from home, but when you get to the checkout you don't sat to the cashier,'I've bringed my own bag you
    would say I've brought my own bag, or no thanks, I have a bag.
    The correct phrase is "I've brung it.".
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support