NOW OPEN: the MSE Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. This time we'd like your questions on TRAVEL & HOLIDAY DEALS. Post by Wed and deals expert MSE Oli will answer as many as he can.

NST: October: Letting go of the love of stuff.

edited 28 September 2015 at 10:37AM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
512 replies 32.8K views

Replies

• Hi! I'd like to join please :D I plan to do 20 SFD days, 3 in a row and I want to de clutter at least a bin bag this month! Exciting! :p
    I am officially debt free! Debt paid: £18,600 Current Savings: Pot 1 £300 //// Pot 2 (premium bonds) £3,800 :T:j
  • misstaramisstara Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Fmess wrote: »
    miss tara i'll join you on the no chocolate :) I eat far too much of it!

Thanks for joining me Fmess OH nearly choked on his tea laughing when I told him I was going to give up chocolate for the month.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £1502.86 (49.4% paid). Emergency fund - £838.07/£1000 (83.8% saved). Car fund - £836.47/£1000 (83.6% saved). Flat deposit - £6197.15/£15000 (41.3% saved).
  • Hi all, sorry for my loooong absence towards the end of last month's challenge. It's a combination of nothing significant to report to too much happening, I had no time to check in. I aim to do much better this month.
    I used to consider myself a bargain hunter, buying things in bulk and "in case I need these someday" but that mentality has led us to sink so deep into debt. Having learned the hard way from my/our mistake I'd like to think I am now not into things anymore, I tend to ask myself so many questions before purchasing anything. I hope to stay that way even though or even more so now that I've just recently become debt-free. That is why I love this month's challenge. Thanks dolly.

We got paid last Thursday and OH have sat down to write next month's budget. The savings (Cash ISA) have already been transferred and the emergency fund is now at just under £1000. Groceries, petrol, allowances, hairdressing, dinner monies are to be taken out of the bank account tomorrow and placed in allocated envelopes. (We tried other systems but for my family, the cash envelope system is still the best for keeping track of expenses and living within your means). we have given £40 to 2 charities last weekend, and have £60 left for birthdays/Good Samaritan funds this month. I will try to have one meat free and tech free day a week. And of course last but not the least, I will try to achieve 12 NSD's this month, hopefully make three NSD's in a row.
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."
    LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
    Trying to replenish 3-6 mos EF
  • FmessFmess Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know how to add the thread to your subscription page on this new style MSE? I'm on my phone and cannot find it anywhere :(
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • misstaramisstara Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Fmess wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to add the thread to your subscription page on this new style MSE? I'm on my phone and cannot find it anywhere :(

No but hoping someone else does as I'm also on my phone and can't see it.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £1502.86 (49.4% paid). Emergency fund - £838.07/£1000 (83.8% saved). Car fund - £836.47/£1000 (83.6% saved). Flat deposit - £6197.15/£15000 (41.3% saved).
  • Please add me to the challenge :D
    Letting Go NST #17
    NSD 1/15; LTW 0/9; budget £0/£250; food £5.20/£120; steps 0/31
    Make £10 per day in Oct: £30/£310

Mortgage: £214,702.15
  • Please sign me up dolly
  • cybertortoisecybertortoise Forumite
    261 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would like to join please. I promise to actually stick around this time!
    Last month I fell off the wagon, dropped the ball and any other euphemisms that generally mean failure :o this month I am determined to stick to my plans and I really need to sort Christmas out sooner rather than later which so far has been every year! I would like to aim for the 12 SFD's, hoping to get more though.
    Restarted my journey toward financial stability on 1st September 2021 - I will succeed!Total debt - £38570.75 @ 31.08.21 Current debt - £29876.97 @ 13.11.2022Paid to date: £8693.78Aim to pay off: 12% - current 12.98%DFD: December 2029 May 2029 July 2029 April 2029 March 2029
  • stewbystewby Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I would like to join please. I promise to actually stick around this time!
    Last month I fell off the wagon, dropped the ball and any other euphemisms that generally mean failure :o this month I am determined to stick to my plans and I really need to sort Christmas out sooner rather than later which so far has been every year! I would like to aim for the 12 SFD's, hoping to get more though.

No-one fails in this group (as far as I can remember), life just gets in the way sometimes.
    Any experience provides a lesson to be learned or a better way of managing a difficult situation. The trick is to remain positive (which is easier said than done).
    :)

Anyways... a day early I know but have scoured some threads and discovered the catalyst for my LBM was getting ready to turn 30.
    :eek:

Basically, I joined the mortgage boards as I had decided to try and get rid of my mortgage. When I explained why I could only pay a small amount (due to my debt), they very kindly sent me in the direction of the debt free forum where I have hung out ever since.
    :o

My main motivation is my Dad. He is amazing.
    My Dad has spent his whole life working hard and saving to make life easier for my Mum (so she didn't have to work) and my brother and I (so we never really did without).
    An example of this is the story of my parents sometimes going without a treat (normally a bottle of cider) just so that my brother got a 'matchbox' car every week.
    He has worked hard and paid off the mortgage early (in his 50s), bought his parent's house (paid it off too) and has now retired at the age of 60.

My dad is a complete inspiration to me and I want to make him proud. This is what caused my light bulb moment and this is what made me decide to sort out my finances.
    So here I am... with (hopefully) three months to go until my debt is gone and I can start focussing on saving for the wedding and paying off a bit of my mortgage.

A bit long-winded but hopefully that maybe explains my LBM... maybe.
    :undecided
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • andrarandrar Forumite
    272 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Please can I sign up for the challenge? I used to do these every month, I last did one well over a year ago when NSK did them. I'm assuming she's off on her adventures now that she saved up so hard for!

I'm going for 15 NSDs, I'm already a vegetarian so instead of a meat free day I challenge myself to stop food waste and try and use all the food I have in my cupboards this month, even if that means weird and wonderful meals!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum