Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Red Onion Chutney and Marmalade Recipes - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Red Onion Chutney and Marmalade Recipes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
53 replies 46.9K views

Replies

• squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're welcome :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • made 9 jars yesterday. chopped 9 pounds of onions. i stink!!!!
  • lollyfinlollyfin Forumite
    299 posts
    is the onion marmalade something you can eat straight away or is it better to leave it to mature for a while?
    sorry if thats a daft question...im clueless about this stuff but love eating it so im gonna learn!
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ive merged this with a similar thread to keep the recipes and links together

zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• I have this sack of onions OH brought back from one of the other farms... I have now filled the freezer.

So I thought I would try some onion marmalde..

These are the ingredients..

1kg onions
    5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    100g brown sugar
    2 tablespoons oil

Now I dont have any red wine vinegar..... I do however, have red wine :beer: and malt vinegar...

Can I just use the malt vinegar? Do I have to sacrifice my red wine?

Thanks in advance
    Women who suffer from Domestic Violence are not victims.... They are survivors....

There are many strong women out there... Dont just admire them... BE ONE OF THEM ;)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • meritatenmeritaten
    24.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the vinegar is there to provide acetic acid - red wine vinegar would be perfect - but, I am sure a good malt vinegar would substitute. I would add a good splash of red wine as well! If I had any.........or if I had white wine vinegar would use that - but as I normally keep in cider vinegar - I would use that!
  • You could just use the malt vinegar but the flavour might be altered a little. A lot of chutneys use malt vinegar anyway so it should be allright.

I have just recieved my winter sack of onions. I had one last winter and kept it in the gargare with a blanket wrapped around it and the onions lasted all winter. That way I did not need to freeze or preserve them but carried on using them as normal.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • Thanks to both of you. Well I 'experimented'

I made some with a splash of red wine and malt vinegar and I made some with a splash of worcester sauce and malt vinegar, and I ran out of sugar so used honey instead lol.

Result.... yummy :-) ... think hot dog onions :-)

I'll get another sack next week so will have to think of something else to do with them ....

Oh and I had a few left in the pan which wouldnt fill a jar so I mixed them with a little flour and made DD(5) some onion bhajis which she demolished :-)
    Women who suffer from Domestic Violence are not victims.... They are survivors....

There are many strong women out there... Dont just admire them... BE ONE OF THEM ;)
  • With next weeks sack, try French onion soup, it's delicious. Only trouble is (for me) because you have to slice the onions, so they are in rings, it makes me cry buckets! Normally I do all my onions in the food processor to try and cut down the crying, but this recipe has to be done by hand.

Mind you, I am particularly wimpy when it comes to onions, I cry when slicing a spring onion!
  • Thanks Seabright, I made that and we have just finished it today in OH flask. Got a veg soup on now with some barley in it :-)