PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Red Onion Chutney and Marmalade Recipes

Options

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ET03 wrote: »
    4 lge or 6 med red onions
    100g butter
    2 tbs dark brown sugar

put in heavy pan with tight lid and cook on lowest possible heat for 30 mins, take off heat and leave to cool

Ok, going to make this as I liked the simplicity of the cooking involved. Now was going to spice it up a bit, add some garlic, a pinch of chilli, couple tbspns of olive oil. I have rum or beer - could/should i add either of those?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• zippychick
    Options
    i made this and it isnt very good? Just like buttery onions. You can see the butter now it's set - very offputting.

Knew, i took the shortcut, it didnt work!

• minimooch
    minimooch Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Hi There
    Dont have a chutney recipe but have a fab onion marmalade one which is great with meat, cheeses & most veggie dishes. In fact I made a batch today as it never lasts long in our house!! Makes about x4 1lb jars.

1.25kg onions
    3 tbsp salt
    1kg sugar
    500mls red wine vinegar
    2tsp caraway seeds

Chop onions cover wih salt leave for an hour

Rinse & dry

Add sugar, vinegar & seeds into saucepan, boil for 5mins then add onions. Cook for a couple of hours on a low heat until the mix becomes thick, onion translucent & brown. Can't go wrong.
    Put in sterilized jars.

Yum
    Rachelle

Do people think this would work using 450 mls cider vinegar + 50 mls malt as I don't have red wine vinegar but I do have a nearly full bottle of the cigar vinegar that needs using.

Thanks
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    i made this and it isnt very good? Just like buttery onions. You can see the butter now it's set - very offputting.

The recipe I use for red onion marmalade, has butter, sugar, red wine, and red wine vinegar added.
    It is very tasty.
    But I agree, the butter set, in the jars is very off putting to the final product.
    I wondered, if using veg oil/olive oil would solve the problem ?
    I will try it next time I make it... but I have a few jars to get through first :)
  • zippychick
    Options
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    The recipe I use for red onion marmalade, has butter, sugar, red wine, and red wine vinegar added.
    It is very tasty.
    But I agree, the butter set, in the jars is very off putting to the final product.
    I wondered, if using veg oil/olive oil would solve the problem ?
    I will try it next time I make it... but I have a few jars to get through first :)
    it was gross! I left it in the jars for months, and now it is still as gross as when i first made it!:o

• nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2010 at 3:18PM
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    it was gross! I left it in the jars for months, and now it is still as gross as when i first made it!:o

Oh no :(
    It is so annoying making something like that, and it doesnt taste how you want it to. I made a beetroot and orange chutney, which was ok, but deffo not what I was expecting.

I can dig out my recipe for red onion marmalade if you want to try that ?
    It is lovely :) Even if I do say so myself :D

Edit... To add link, as I have previously posted in the preservers thread :D
  • MrsFraggle
    MrsFraggle Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    First time I made it, I followed on on BBC good food which had butter in it. It was ok but you could see the butter running through it.
    Last time however I made this one

http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Make-Caramelised-Onion-Chutney.htm

and its yummy :D
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I was wondering if this sounds like a good receipe for red onion chutney as I dont seem to have all of the ingredients for any of the receipes on here!

red onions
    tin chopped toms
    red wine
    vinegar from pickled onions
    brown sugar

also would i just be able to bung it all in the slow cooker all day for it to thicken?

thanks
  • jetgallyw
    Options
    i have made myself a huge vat of caramelised red onion chutney using red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. I have ended up with a very vinegarry tasting runny chutney!! How do i make it thicker and sweeter and less vinegarry? Shall i add more sugar and reduce down? Any tips or advice will be appreciated - seems to be a shame to waste it all!!
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, I think I'd add some more sugar and then reduce it some more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure