Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Red Onion Chutney and Marmalade Recipes - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Red Onion Chutney and Marmalade Recipes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
53 replies 46.9K views

Replies

• adelightadelight Forumite
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ET03 wrote: »
    4 lge or 6 med red onions
    100g butter
    2 tbs dark brown sugar

put in heavy pan with tight lid and cook on lowest possible heat for 30 mins, take off heat and leave to cool

I did this today but with 50g butter and 6tbsp of malt vinegar as it looked like it needed more liquid. It's delicious :)
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • i have the book!!!! i really do have the book!!! but can i find???

had a mad couple of weeks with lots of grandchildren staying over and having trouble finding a few things now i am trying to get straight again, including my pam corbin preserves book.

didnt know i wouldnt find it until AFTER i have bought the onions.

does anyone have a link or can give me the recipe please.

thanks all.
  • edited 11 August 2011 at 5:43PM
    caitybabescaitybabes Forumite
    442 posts
    edited 11 August 2011 at 5:43PM
    A quick google returned the recipe at the link below :) enjoy!

http://blueskyandbunting.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html
  • a thousand thanks for such a quick response.xx
  • lollyfinlollyfin Forumite
    299 posts
    That recipe sounds lovely, love onion marmalade. I was wondering could i use empty jars from supermarket chutney (sterilised first) as i noticed a lot of things say they must have vinegar proof lids to save me going out and buying jars and lids, cos i have never made jams or chutneys before and dont want to spend a lot of money if im not going to be very good at it
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • GetRealBabeGetRealBabe Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    lollyfin wrote: »
    That recipe sounds lovely, love onion marmalade. I was wondering could i use empty jars from supermarket chutney (sterilised first) as i noticed a lot of things say they must have vinegar proof lids to save me going out and buying jars and lids, cos i have never made jams or chutneys before and dont want to spend a lot of money if im not going to be very good at it

Hi

Yes. So far I've made jam and mincemeat and used supermarket jars. I reckon they'd be ok for onion marmalade.

Agree, it sounds lovely. I'm gonna halve the recipe and have a go:)
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

• Yep, I always use supermarket jars too. Also, I find a paper muffin case is a very good size to put between your jar and lid, rather than having to cut greaseproof paper :)
  • GetRealBabeGetRealBabe Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    caitybabes wrote: »
    Yep, I always use supermarket jars too. Also, I find a paper muffin case is a very good size to put between your jar and lid, rather than having to cut greaseproof paper :)

Hi

The muffin cases are a good idea but I've got a roll of useless Waitrose greaseproof paper to use up.
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

• squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caitybabes wrote: »
    A quick google returned this recipe :) enjoy!

Onion Marmalade

Makes 5 x 225g jars

etc...

Hiya,

Please do not copy & paste whole recipes - we risk infringing the copyright of others.

Please edit your post to be brief and include a link to the original:-

http://blueskyandbunting.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html

Forum_Team wrote:

forum_faqs_small_bubble.gifWhat are the rules on copyright?

We ask forum users not to copy long text from other publications/websites as it may breach their copyright. If you want to let people know about something you saw or read elsewhere please use short quotes and state where you got them from, preferably by giving a link to the article.

In terms of our copyright, you can post things you've posted here, on other sites, but not posts by other forum users.

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Oops, sorry about that, have edited to take out the recipe and put just the link in. Thanks for letting me know Squeaky :) will do just links in future.