Mortgage free by 2021?!

Options

Comments

• debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Glad the move over went well - but how frustrating re the internet.. hope the rental stress gets sorted soon!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2017 at 11:45AM
    Options
    Well, I wish I had a happy update, but no such luck. Estate agents are being completely ridiculous and misinterpreting the very basic elements of the AST, which baffles me as this is their full-time job so you would think they would at least know how it works. We're trying to find a solicitor so we can both smack the estate agents around a bit for being so dumb, and avoid paying their bogus charges. We're also investigating the option to sell the house now as a BTL...largely depends on how big a hit in price we'd take selling the house to an investor vs privately, but on the plus side it should appeal to an investor as it's got multiple income streams between the tenants and the solar panels (albeit a much smaller income stream on the latter :p).

I'm sure it will all work out in the end, but it's stressing me out big time, especially as I'm the household CFO/organiser so it's down to me to e-mail/call people, coordinate things, etc. DH is happy to research stuff online and give his input on things, and I'm sure if he had to he would do calls/e-mails, but he's likely to put it off so long that I may as well do it and get it done.

Moving is also up in the air...our things were originally promised within 3 weeks which would have been last week. They now say that our things will arrive to Dublin next week sometime and to us the week after. I've e-mailed asking about the option of a partial refund due to the delivery timeframe being more like 6 weeks rather than 3. Not getting my hopes up, but nothing ventured, nothing gained! (I suppose in the meantime I can enjoy the illusion of a minimalist lifestyle now that we've de-cluttered loads of the landlords' things out of the house and are left with the basics + our computers.

Work is improving a bit...project finally launched and hasn't immediately turned into a dumpster fire, so we might actually have a couple of weeks to catch our breath. My coworker and I both plan to take a week off sometime in September, as we've accrued loads of time off in lieu and are both exhausted. We'll see what changes longer term work-wise so that we don't end up in this sort of situation again, otherwise I may have to job hunt for my sanity. (This project launch has been the worst one I've ever been in, which says something, and I've promised myself that I'm not staying around for the next project launch if it's going to be remotely similar to this one.)

We should finally get a bank account tomorrow or Monday...fingers crossed! Would not have guessed that it would take a full month to get a bank account. (Granted, we probably could have walked in to any high street bank and gotten an account a couple of weeks ago, but most accounts have regular charges so we wanted to go for one that would be fee-free. :money:)
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Sounds like a bit of a nightmare for you at the mo, hope it gets sorted soon! x Glad the work project went well!
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks DFOD, me too! Phoning solicitors on the to-do list for today...
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    August OPs: £0.00
    August Offset: £0.00

Current (offset) balance: £108,188.90
    Month we’d be in to get to our current balance without OPs: March 2027 (+2 months)

2017 Overpayments: £10,053.84
    2017 Offset Savings: -£6,171.94
    2017 Interest Saved: £3,752.04

Total Overpayments/Offsets: £68,117.12
    Total Interest Saved: £56,094.26

Daily Interest: £7.14 (down £0.05)
    Monthly Interest: £220.79 (up £5.36)
    August 2016 Interest: £291.04 (down £70.25)
    August 2016 Daily Interest: £9.23 (down £2.09)

House Bricks: None :(

Mortgage reduction: £11,479/£20,000 (57%) (Average: £1,435.00/mo)

OPs on pause for now.

Net worth increase: £49,274/£80,000 (61%)

Good month despite all the expenses of moving. :)

MFIT-4: £51,311/£90,000 (57%)

Goals

Didn't get around to setting any, but we've made progress on various things. Finally have a bank account in Ireland (yay), which means we can set up utility accounts. Still chasing up a post code, but have learned that it won't be issued until November at the earliest. :( (At least that saves me sending weekly e-mails that never get a reply.) Still dealing with letting fiasco, hope to have an update on that soon. Our stuff arrives Tuesday, hurrah! So, progress (some of it painfully slow) on many fronts.
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Sorry you are having such a hard time with everything. I'm hoping it will all settle down for you soon.

It does sound lovely where you have moved to. I think you definitely are in need of a break! Thank goodness you should be able to take some time off this month.
  • michelle09
    Options
    Looks like things are a little stressful for you guys right now, hope it clears up soon!
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Thanks both! I think things will calm down a bit soon, between our things arriving and having a plan of attack re: estate agents (ideally they'll agree to terminate our contract fee-free without us having to get solicitors involved, but if we have to do that, so be it).

We're off to London for a few days next week for work (DH + me) and yarn crawl (me). We'll be staying with friends, one of whose birthday is Tuesday so it'll be nice to see them and take them out to dinner. Our neighbours will watch the pets for us, which is handy. :)

Hoping that can also be the start of a less frequent travel schedule for DH - he's done weekly thus far but plans to take the week after our trip off, so ideally his boss will see that the office does not implode just because he's typing on his computer from Ireland rather than 5 feet away in London. (It would help if DH would be more assertive and just say "x is what works for us, how can we make it work for you?" but that's completely not his personality.) Of the 4 trips I've had one where I was mostly OK, 1 where I was completely dead, and 2 in-between, so it would definitely be nice to have a week break in between them.

We went to IKEA yesterday and walked out with over €150 worth of stuff. :eek: All planned for, granted, except a €4.50 pillow with cat faces on it that I impulse-bought. At least all of it should be both useful and transferrable to another house, so that's something. And I prevented DH from buying kitchen knives purely because they were there and we hate the ones the landlords provided...may as well research quality ones and buy a nice set once rather than a meh set and have to buy sometime else. (We had an OK set in London but we threw those out rather than move them as they were in pretty poor shape after a few years of use.) So I guess that's kind of a win? ;)
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Well done for being controlled in IKEA!
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Thank you .- I always forget how horrible IKEA is when you're looking for whatever you're trying to buy, let alone trying to get out of the place.

We may end up back there in a year-ish to plan another kitchen...at least we have experience with that now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure