Mortgage free by 2021?!

Options

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    MSE win today - phoned up BT to cancel our account when we move, and managed to avoid a cancellation fee thanks to creative options from customer service. It would have been almost £200, so that's a nice bonus.

Managed to put a coat of paint on the hall, so it's almost done. Hoping to get the last coat on later this week, as well as paint skirting board to install that this weekend.

In non-MSE progress, I finally e-mailed quotes to W!ckes for replacing our door that they broke back in 2015, and they sent back a rather stroppy e-mail saying that they were sticking with either no compensation or £125 compensation (not quite sure which). They said we could go to a furniture ombudsman (?) so we'll start that process, I guess. Don't hold out much hope, but we'll see what happens. Either way we won't replace the door until we're ready to sell - no point replacing a door that works before we have to.

Already hoping for the weekend...haven't recovered physically from this last weekend, so I could use a quiet weekend. (Not sure how quiet working on the kitchen will be!)

This month should be interesting pay-wise. We've tripled DH's contributions to pension to account for his pay rise/bonus, so this month will be a fair bit lower than usual. Next month will make up for it, at least (bonus is paid quarterly).
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Another MSE-win, literally. Won the bonus draw on FPL so that should be ~£30 heading our way. :j Would have been nice to win a pot bigger than £10, but hey, it's free money. :)
  • hiddenshadow
    edited 2 July 2017 at 8:03AM
    Options
    June was a busy month, finally close enough to moving to actually kick things into gear re: packing/de-cluttering/etc. Also saw us on a whirlwind day trip to Ireland to secure a house to rent, and start funnelling all our spare money (including mortgage offset) into Euros. Overall I think we did quite well this month progress-wise, even if it doesn't feel like it looking around the house.

June OPs: £0.00
    June Offset: -£6,171.64

Current (offset) balance: £109,873.74
    Month we’d be in to get to our current balance without OPs: December 2026 (-7 months) :(

2017 Overpayments: £9,981.92
    2017 Offset Savings: -£6,171.94
    2017 Interest Saved: £3,544.33

Total Overpayments/Offsets: £68,040.33
    Total Interest Saved: £56,330.83

Daily Interest: £7.27 (down £0.23)
    Monthly Interest: £224.69 (up £0.94 - stupid 31-day months)
    June 2016 Interest: £286.49 (down £61.80)
    June 2016 Daily Interest: £9.55 (down £2.28)

House Bricks: -6 :(

Mortgage reduction: £9,967/£20,000 (49%) (Average: £1,661.28/mo)

First month with no OPs. *sob* Also stole from our offset to transfer money into euros.

Not sure when OPs will begin again, will need to bump our savings back up first.

Net worth increase: £29,525.91/£80,000 (36%)

Negative progress on-paper because over £8k went out of the budget into Euros, so will need to figure out how to balance the two currencies.

MFIT-4: £49,798/£90,000 (55%)

Progress here slipped a bit thanks to using up the offset.

Goals

Personal
    Move to Ireland Boxes packed 14/10 - packed a box of dishes with some clothes, win-win; DH also packed a bunch of his films
    Move to Ireland Items de-cluttered 25/10 - finally getting things out of the house!
    Move to Ireland Find a house to rent Done, deposit paid/contract signed
    House Install cladding in hall Done - (almost) just needs 1 more coat of paint, which will happen tomorrow
    House Finish off kitchen (backsplash, windowsill, wood trim) Progressing - did the backsplash today, will work on the others tomorrow
    Car Arrange brake repair advised by mechanic at MOT All done

Health
    Chase up re-test for nerves - Finally have an appointment!
    Investigate health records - Not started see what would be required to get health records together for Ireland move

Financial
    Moving Get quotes for moving costs - 3/4 - think we've decided on a moving company, just need to secure that this week :)
    Moving Shift rent money to euros 66%/100% - making good progress :)
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Going to keep these nice and simple this month. ("Simple" in that there will be few goals, some of them are fairly major though!)

Goals

Personal
    Work Get this project done - supposedly launching mid-July, may shift back a week (to the week we move :eek:)
    Move to Ireland Rooms packed 0/6 - bedrooms 1/2, bathroom, lounge 1/2, kitchen
    House Finish DIY projects 0/10
    Move to Ireland Get all of us safely there! 0/6

Financial
    Moving Shift rent money to euros 66%/100%
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Busy times ahead, very sensible keeping goals simple. Good luck with the move.
  • MamaSaver
    MamaSaver Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck HS, a big adventure awaits.
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Very impressed the level of planning and organisation in here. Don't worry about them OP's, when you look back in December June will merely be an understandable blip!

Very excited for you!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I echo SJ's comments. Very impressed with the organisation and also extremely excited for you :)
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• hiddenshadow
    Options
    Thanks all!

Lippy, I am the master of lists. I love lists...I basically run my life off lists of various kinds. (The downside is that if it's not on a list I never remember it!)

Major MSE win today...well, not "win" as such since I was trying to do this all along, but win that it finally got done! I've been wrangling with HMRC for months over my pension contributions, and how to claim tax relief back on them. Finally submitted the right form (after many calls/chats with them getting confusing information) and....they owe me £0. (Well, actually, they'd already decided they owed me £63.20 through some magic math on their end, so they did pay that surprisingly promptly!)

Anyway...I thought £0 back on pension contributions of over £11,000 was slightly off, so after spending a lot of time on hold and another semi-confusing conversation with them, I put in my income (which I assumed I didn't need to do because it's PAYE and they're HMRC so I'm filling in data from forms they sent me.....), and now the calculation shows a refund of £3,899.80. :j I was only expecting £2k or so, so that's a pleasant surprise. No idea if that accounts for the £63.20 or not, but I don't mind paying that back to them if they decide they need it. ;)

Hoping the money gets to us as promptly as the first payment (which claimed 3-4 weeks but only took 3-4 days), as that will go a ways towards re-establishing our EF (which has been drained to move into €).
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Crazy week...worked 40 hours by Wednesday, got given Friday off as a result, but then also got asked to work part of the weekend. So...super tiring. At least I'm accruing good will at work and time off in lieu, so there's that.

Also made good progress on other life goals...house projects are almost done (we got the big ones 90% done this weekend, and will finish those off this week, the rest are little). Packing is stressing me out because we have so much crap that we need to pack/get rid of/deal with in some fashion. I think I'm much better at the will I regret not having this in 2 years' time? game than DH, because I'm tempted to not pack any of it, though we do still need to get it out of the house.

Goals

Personal
    Move to Ireland Rooms packed 1.5/6 - [bedrooms 1/2, bathroom, lounge 1/2, kitchen] almost finished with the kitchen, just need to pack pots/pans, also only have a few boxes left for lounge 1/2
    House Finish DIY projects 4/10 got lots done this weekend, though my body’s going to pay for it
    Work Get this project done - Progressing working crazy hours, and this week has been hugely tiring and stressful, but it’s getting there
    Move to Ireland Get all of us safely there! 0/6

Financial
    Moving Shift rent money to euros 93%/100% - almost there, may need to wait until payday to do the last few transfers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure