Suspicious transaction - "WP-STAGECOACH-SERV"

Options

Comments

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I used Amazon for the first time I noticed that a pound vanished from my account... I never found out if it was Amazon, because Barclays never told me who had it! It did get put in a few days later, but it really annoys me that although the money leave my account, I can't see who has it until the next day.
  • helenchicken
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - i had 2 of these transactions debited and credited and put a search in google as i wasn't sure what it was and this site came up.

Interestingly when I phoned my bank they asked me if my recent Amazon transaction was real!

I suspect Amazon are not securely holding details.

One idea is to use a card with a really low credit limit for internet transactions only

Helen
  • chris123
    Options
    hi pip, in your original post you mention you had your suspicions to where the fraud originated. was it in a shop with ethnic or eastern europeans working behind the counter? this is a major problem, i have police officer friends warning me all the time about this sort of thing. i know what i would do.
  • angelsdawn
    Options
    Thank god for this site - thanks to you I seem to know what is going on.

I checked my bank account last night and was shocked to see that £10 and £178 had gone out of my bank account to orange. Now I have a phone with orange, but the direct debit for them comes out of the other account I have and I never gave them this account number, so I was immediately suspicious.

I phoned orange, who were very helpful and confirmed I was going mental and that I had not made any payments on my account, so I then phoned my bank (abbey) who are going to start a fraud investigation and cancelled my card instantly.

Unfortunately, I checked my online account again today and another £90 has gone, which was taken just before I cancelled the card. Hopefully that is the end of it in terms of money going.

However - reading the rest of your messages I am now very concerned about Amazon. I never order things from there, but ordered two books I needed for work about 8 days ago - just days before my card was used fraudulently. I thought these websites were supposed to be secure, but maybe not....

I am hoping I get my money back - can't afford not to. I know its not as much as some have lost, but its all I have.

X
  • saxmund
    saxmund Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    I always use a credit card for online transactions... then if the details are re-used fraudulently, they're stealing the card issuer's money and not mine. Which is why it's partcularly a pain in the !!!! when they want to charge you extra for using a credit card.
  • skips_mum
    Options
    I checked my account online a couple of weeks ago and found £10 had been put on an O2 phone several days in a row. I havent got an O2 phone so I phoned Barclays straight away. They stopped my card and sent me some forms to signand within a week I had my £80 back. The man I spoke to was lovely - I was a bit hysterical!
    In the local paper this week is a big photo of the barclays cash machine I usually use - it had some sort of scamming device fitted to it, so this is probably how they got my details. What is frightening is that my card is a debit card attached to my current account so they could have completely cleared my account.
    I'm going to try and get a credit card to use in future, but weve tried to steer clear of credit. Its hard to know what to do for the best.
  • p1an0player
    Options
    If the transaction succeeds, a few days later they will clean you out. People have lost as much as £16,000 in this way. :eek:

One change of underwear later I headed down to Lloyds with my card in my sweaty little paw. They got onto their fraud department who agreed that, yes, the transaction was fraudulent, and cancelled my card. And not a moment too soon as the £1.50 transaction was 10 days ago. I could have been hours away from losing a couple of thousand pounds! :eek:

Clearly online card fraud is a big problem, but I don't think it's helpful to worry too much about it. If the card is used fraudulently the cardholder isn't liable and so will be reimbursed.
  • skips_mum
    Options
    yes, but in the meantime if your account is empty all your direct debits will bounce and then the rent wont have been paid, etc etc.
  • Luna_Wolf
    Options
    skips_mum wrote: »
    yes, but in the meantime if your account is empty all your direct debits will bounce and then the rent wont have been paid, etc etc.

Exactly! Yes, the bank are optimistic that I will get my money back, but in the meantime I have rent and bills to pay, and nothing to pay them with. It's hugely stressful!
  • p1an0player
    p1an0player Posts: 1,196 Forumite
    Options
    Luna_Wolf wrote: »
    Exactly! Yes, the bank are optimistic that I will get my money back, but in the meantime I have rent and bills to pay, and nothing to pay them with. It's hugely stressful!

I would hope that the bank would give you a temporary overdraft to cover these, whilst it is being investigated?

I wasn't too clear in my post but what I meant was that people who are not victims should not waste time worrying about this eventuality. Some people reading the OP would have been unnecessarily alarmed.

I hope everything gets sorted out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport