PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2015 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mhe wrote: »
    ... Since September this year we have been living off wartime rations. This hasn't always been easy but it has made me realise just how much we must have wasted before. This weeks food shop for 2 adults 3 children( 2 of whom are teens) was £29.15 .

That's amazing, shows how resourceful you are and makes me feel guilty about wasting so much.

I've spent £84.10 in the first of 4 main shops - at Sainsb because no time in a busy weekend to shop around. Note to self, always buy milk at main shop - although the price is the same everywhere, the Sainsb Local near us often runs out of the 2L cartons so I had to top up on MONDAY :eek: with a 1L carton for almost as much money!
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £1.88 spent on crisps and chocolate after coming out of a course ravenous.:o
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another couple of small shops totalling just over £10 so I have spent £20.36 of £150 budget, leaving £129.64.
    I am intrigued by war time rations. How are you getting on with it and are you following a book? I can see that there would be no wastage of anything.
    I made lentil and veg soup tonight and added some cauli leaves then blended it all. The other cauli leaves I out in the freezer, just straight in, and will add them to soups and casseroles. I used to do the same with broccoli stems until I put too many in one dish and it really was not very nice!
    Could do with a biscuit with my cup of tea right now but didn't buy any 😀
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent £11 today on dog food, loo rolls n cleaning stuff:j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 November 2015 at 10:26PM
    Options
    Hi

Can you put me down for £100 for the month, please?

I am going to Centre Parcs next week, and have already paid for the stay and the food (my sister booked it all and will organise a shop for next week). I'm also away for 4 days later in the month. I have a night out on Saturday as well, so this leaves me with 17 days with which to provide food. Lunches are sorted for my daughter, save for the fruit to go with them for the end of the month, and I have lunch for the next 6 days sorted.

I still have loads in the cupboards - I am making a butternut squash (it's been there so long that I don't actually remember when I bought it :o) and sausage bake with a tin of cherry tomatoes that went out of date.. a [STRIKE]few years[/STRIKE] wee while ago :A This should feed us tonight and tomorrow.

Daughter has breakfast at school and I have porridge either at home or at work. It may be tight, but should be doable :)

EDITED TO ADD: The butternut squash and sausage bake was absolutely delicious. I will definitely make it again... maybe even with fresh ingredients :o:rotfl:

You need:
    1 butternut squash (or any pumpkin/squash really), chopped into bitesized pieces
    2 onions, chopped into chunks
    a squeeze or two of garlic puree
    a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes (only I didn't have any, so used tinned, which worked).
    a pinch of mixed herbs (recipe said 3 tbsp chopped fresh sage)
    sausages - I used a packet of HECK chicken sausages, recipe said 8 ww sausages

Chop the veggies and put into a baking tray, add the sausages and the cherry tomatoes. Mix well. Season and add a pinch of mixed herbs.

Bake for 50 or so minutes until the veggies are tender and the sausages are nicely browned.

Serve with more veggies if you want (I didn't).

For anyone else doing ww, this cost me 3pp :j

I also added a little mozzarella over the top of my daughter's portion cos I've had a few balls in the freezer for ages :o

Bit hit all round :)
  • ej22
    ej22 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Spent 17.55 on foods and drinks. It's amazing how quick the pennies add up
    Old signature:OD 0/1500, CC 0/1300New signature:OD 0/2000, CC 20/337
    GC 0/200, NSD 2/15, EF 250/500
    WL 2/30kg
  • threepenny_bit
    Options
    my 3rd NSD

Took a couple of boxes of mystery from the freezer; they both looked like chilli and rice. When thawed out one was turkey and one minced beef chilli - made a nice tea though :) We had left over cheese scones from yesterdays soup with it.

Trying to use up a lot of freezer items or stuff I have hoarded in the pantry before I go shopping
    EF - save $1000 in 2024 $70 saved

Annual Grocery shop $496/3000 - had to increase by $500 in March as groceries were so expensive, this is now $250 per month.
    March February $300 January $196

My Grocery vouchers not included in the annual total - I have $100 costco (Used January)
    Still have $35 Walmart and $25 Save on.

Started a diary to help me stay on track … @Time to slash the shopping budget and use up the store cupboard
  • CountingPennies
    Options
    A couple NSD already due to illness, however I had to go to shops last night for loo rolls, milk, bread, tablets, water for packed lunches ect. Spend of £17.27. This did include a get well soon card for MIL and some chocolates as she has just had surgery.

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Spent another £1.12 on mushrooms, a leek and YS pig trotters.

Trotters! :rotfl:

Well, my mom used to love 'em, and one of my Chinese relatives says she has recipes, so I thought I'd give them a go. I think OH used them once before in making a posh Tom Kerridge terrine-thing, but I was veggie then and wouldn't eat it.

Any ideas?
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £228.36/200

Decluttering 856/2024 Awards 🥇
    (22/04/24)
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just taken delivery of my online food order. Lots of substitutions, which is annoying as I now have to go out for cider in order to make a mulled offering at our bonfire and fireworks party on Saturday. :mad: Oh well, can't be helped I suppose...all now put away together with the few emergency bits I had to buy yesterday, so have spent a total of £116.66. An expensive start, but have got washing powder and dog food for the next couple of weeks, so I'm hoping the next shop will be less. Updating siggie x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure