Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2015 Grocery Challenge - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

November 2015 Grocery Challenge

edited 12 September 2015 at 2:08PM in Old Style MoneySaving
278 replies 21.7K views

Replies

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've used Approved Foods in the past but not recently. A couple of reasons but mainly because most of their stuff is junk food which I just don't buy (apart from the occasional pack of crisps for DH!) but also because their offers are nowhere near as good as they used to be. Some things can be bought locally for the same or a penny or two more and taking into the account the postage costs it just seem worth it any more.

Denise
  • selloptapeselloptape Forumite
    598 posts
    ✭✭
    candygirl wrote: »
    Does anyone else order from approved foods? I am always tempted, but end up giving half of it away :o

I've often been tempted but a bit paranoid about OOD food,do they do short dated as well?

Think I've bought everything for my meal plan for the week so should have a couple of NSDs before the milk runs out :)

Save 12k in 2019 #8 £2432.65/£2,500
    MFiT T5 #22 Save £20k over 3 years £5495.08
    Walk 1500 miles in 2019 - 645.92/1500
  • So this is all new for me ... have struggled to budget for food since getting with OH 18m ago. He has his 2 DS every other weekend and 2 days during week. What are peoples thoughts on the below rough draft?

w/c 2/11 - 2 adults & 2 children x 5 days, 2 adults 4 children x 2 days.
    w/c 9/11 - 2 adults & 2 children x 2 days, 2 adults 4 children x 5 days.
    w/c 16/11 - 2 adults & 2 children x 5 days, 2 adults 4 children x 2 days.
    w/c/ 23/11 - 2 adults & 2 children x 2 days, 2 adults 4 children x 4 days, 8 adults 5 children x 1 day (Early festive meal with friends - will get them to bring a dish each and just do meat and mash)

Fruit & Veg box weekly deliver @ £14.50/week = £58
    Bi weekly meet box @ £40 = £80
    Lidl/Aldi top up shop budget @ £30/week = £120
    School lunches for 2 children @ £15 each/week = £120
    Total budget = £378
  • New month, new budget. Have gone over the last 2 months but still sticking to the same budget to try and get it down. Got a delivery for my halloween party, half of which came of out last months budget and half from this months. It made sense to get it delivered a little earlier as Ive not had a day off work till today and needed stuff for packed lunches, hence a spend already.

Will be stocking up on bread/milk ect today and having a delivery through the week for meats ect. Have gone over budget the last 2 attempts by around £30 however this month I have no birthdays/halloween parties to buy for some maybe this will be the month I succeed....Or maybe not, lol.

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    9.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So this is all new for me ... have struggled to budget for food since getting with OH 18m ago. He has his 2 DS every other weekend and 2 days during week. What are peoples thoughts on the below rough draft?

w/c 2/11 - 2 adults & 2 children x 5 days, 2 adults 4 children x 2 days.
    w/c 9/11 - 2 adults & 2 children x 2 days, 2 adults 4 children x 5 days.
    w/c 16/11 - 2 adults & 2 children x 5 days, 2 adults 4 children x 2 days.
    w/c/ 23/11 - 2 adults & 2 children x 2 days, 2 adults 4 children x 4 days, 8 adults 5 children x 1 day (Early festive meal with friends - will get them to bring a dish each and just do meat and mash)

Fruit & Veg box weekly deliver @ £14.50/week = £58
    Bi weekly meet box @ £40 = £80
    Lidl/Aldi top up shop budget @ £30/week = £120
    School lunches for 2 children @ £15 each/week = £120
    Total budget = £378

As this is your first month why don't you try and stick to the budget you've set out above or even better, come in below what you've suggested and then next month you will be in a better position to work out how much you need to budget.

It would also be useful for you to read the posts at the beginning of the thread which gives you some tips on working out your budget.

Good luck.

Denise
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't believe how fast this year is going!

I'm in again with £400 for November please

I about broke even in October

Want to tighten up in November and use stuff up we already have in to try and make space for December food.

Thank you to everyone in this thread I couldn't have got this far on almost budget without you
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Evening all :-)

Had a T3sco delivery today and was bang on £87.00. This had cat food for the month and bits I'm stockpiling as I have an operation at the end of November so I'm trying to get our basics in stock so I don't need to worry!

I'm also adding Christmas bits here and there.

Have a great evening.

£87/£400 nov gc
    Grocery challenge June £0/£500
    £1000 by December £0/£1000
  • Evening all, just a Lil £1 to add today needed squash as all out. X
    NST October #24.
    NSD 16/20
    £125/£150 Family Budget..
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Two NSD so far.
    Tonight I made Chicken & Pasta soup using just one leek, one stick of celery, garlic, grated fresh ginger, chicken stock, 3 chicken thighs, some broken up spaghetti and a tin of sweet corn. We have just had two bowlfuls each and there will be enough for our lunch tomorrow and a dish for mum - easy to make, inexpensive, warming and most importantly delicious.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    £1.50 spent on nail polish removal as I couldn't find any in the house.
    PAYDBX 2020 £7,454.29/£9,000 82.8% by Dec 2020
    Target Loan - £493.43/£493.43 by Nov 2020 - SIF September 2020
    Emergency Fund 31.12.20 - 100% - Achieved October 2020
    FFEF 30.06.21 - 0%
    Q4 Goals - 5/12 Frogs Eaten 2/24 PT Sessions Attended
    Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 297 (7 in 2019 + 2020)