Windows and Lintels - Ventrolla

Options

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,001 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for this OP, we're buying a house in Suffolk with sash windows. Have added your thread to my 'useful info' list.

Hope you finally get things sorted, it sounds awful.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Clairebare1
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Thanks for this OP, we're buying a house in Suffolk with sash windows. Have added your thread to my 'useful info' list.

Hope you finally get things sorted, it sounds awful.
    You're welcome Slinky, we don't want anyone else to have to put up with what we have put up with.

Maybe with them being named, now we can shame them into getting the work sorted once and for all - we can live in hope!

Good luck with your house move and sash windows (with whatever you decide to do to them).

Claire xx
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    Any news from Ventrolla Claire?..
  • Clairebare1
    Clairebare1 Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 7:41AM
    Options
    Any news from Ventrolla Claire?..
    Hi leveller2911

Unsurprisingly, no, not a dickey bird from Ventrolla. Although, there is an update of sorts, but not from them.

I had a telephone call yesterday from a lovely lady called Clare (good name) because of some feedback I wanted to leave for Ventrolla on Checkatrade. She wanted to check the validity of my comment, so last night I forwarded them a few items (pictures, structural engineers letters). Today it now looks as though Ventrolla have been removed from Checkatrade.

Ta ta for now C xx
  • leveller2911
    Options
    Thanks Claire and very interesting Re: Chackatrade............

I did a bit of googling for reviews and they do seem to have some particularly poor reviews in August 2016 and I do wonder if their main problem is a lack of skilled labour.

On their website it says "all their fitters are Ventrolla trained". Now does that mean a new employee with no experience of the trade is put with an experienced fitter for a couple of weeks or so and then sent out on their own to carry out work or are they actually trained for a few months?.

Keep us posted and thanks again.............. regards Leveller :)
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont think you need a lintle , because there's a arch which supports the bricks.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • leveller2911
    edited 13 October 2016 at 9:49PM
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    I dont think you need a lintle , because there's a arch which supports the bricks.

A Brick arch will support the weight above it on the outside skin but Claires timber lintels were on the inside and holding up the weight above which can be brickwork walls and/or floor joists of the floor above and all the associated weight of furniture,people,beds, stud walls etc etc etc. There can be literally tons of weight being held up by a timber lintel..

IIRC from my college days a 1m length of 2x2 notless pine stood on end can support somewhere in the region of 1.5 tons.

edit: The photo in Steve's post #4 shows a brick arch (which isn't Claires) but the box frame window sits behind the outside skin of brickwork and the inside wall/skin would usually have a timber lintel to support the weight above. Brick arches are very strong and can take a lot of weight and are a really nice feature
  • Clairebare1
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    Do you work for Ventrolla!!
  • leveller2911
    Options
    Do you work for Ventrolla!!

As a fitter?..................:rotfl:

No offence Prosaver ,just having a giggle and not at your expense....:beer:
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a fitter?..................:rotfl:

No offence Prosaver ,just having a giggle and not at your expense....:beer:

No probs:beer:
    Anyway read all the post and it seems they did take out a lintel .
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family