Changes to Tesco Clubcard Credit Card.

in Credit Cards
65 replies 15.4K views

Replies

• PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are using the Tesco credit card for Clubcard points?

I got ~£3,500 for 0% Fee, on a 0% Balance Transfer deal.

There is £3,000 sitting in the Tesco account, earning 3%.

That's £90 before tax, how many points is that worth? :p
  • Feral_MoonFeral_Moon Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pincher wrote: »

I bet you didn't get that 10+ years ago! Until this week, no one has ever been offered any repeat 0% deals on Tesco Clubcards so the only use for them was accumulation of club card points to exchange for deals. You've obviously applied for a new card very recently.
  • Kendall80Kendall80 Forumite
    939 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Pincher wrote: »

7.5k here sat in 5% pre-tax accounts. To memory I think thats just under £300 net pa. The £70 or so in clubcard points was certainly a bonus (I dont shop at tescos) that aids the stooze figures but the 0% period was more important for me.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kendall80 wrote: »
    7.5k here sat in 5% pre-tax accounts. To memory I think thats just under £300 net pa. The £70 or so in clubcard points was certainly a bonus (I dont shop at tescos) that aids the stooze figures but the 0% period was more important for me.

The really long 0% BT period is actually a pain, as you end up with no balance to transfer after three years.

I have ~£20k in play, mainly earning 3%.
    Sadly, the game is possibly up, as Virgin said no to me on the 40 month 0% BT deal. Despite a perfect repayment history, they must think owing £20k on credit card is a BAD thing. :D
  • King_Of_FoolsKing_Of_Fools Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Has anybody seen anything about whether the double Clubcard points on Tesco petrol if you spend on your Tesco credit card is going to end?

I am trying to work out whether I would be better off using my Amex Platinum or if my Tesco credit card would still be best.
  • 20aday20aday Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anybody seen anything about whether the double Clubcard points on Tesco petrol if you spend on your Tesco credit card is going to end?

I am trying to work out whether I would be better off using my Amex Platinum or if my Tesco credit card would still be best.

It looks like it's only out of Tesco store spending is affected by the change:

You can collect one point in addition to your normal Clubcard points for each £4 you spend in a purchase transaction in Tesco (the minimum purchase is £4)

You can collect one point for every £8 you spend in a purchase transaction outside Tesco (the minimum purchase is £8)
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • marks7389marks7389 Forumite
    79 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    From the mse news article:

"Amex says it has no plans to change its range, although unlike other card providers, for the first three years, the EU's cap will not apply to Amex or Diners Club issued cards. If however it's issued by another bank but with either of those logos, then those cards are hit by the cap. So a Barclaycard with an Amex symbol is affected."

This is incorrect. If an Amex / Diners card is issued by another bank the cap will not apply in the first three years. If the card is issued by Amex / Diners themselves then the cap does not apply at all.

That's not to say it won't have a knock-on affect though, should they be forced to reduce fees to compete, or feel that they no longer have to offer the same level of rewards as they do currently.
  • ScoobyZScoobyZ Forumite
    444 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Got my letter today.

I'm gradually moving all my spending away from Tesco's.

Lidl is saving me a fortune. Fuelsave gone. No free bags and poor cashback now on the card.

Time to get a new card!

I too miss the amazon one.
  • mimi1234mimi1234 Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boohoo! Got my letter this morning.

What to do? Which one do I change to now? I only got the Tesco Credit Card because on average I spend about £1K a month and I always paid in full and it was nice to get the Tesco clubcard points.

I've tried having a little look around and all these APR rates and cashback things have given me a headache.

Do I just use my bank card from now or are there any fabulous-tastic credit cards out there?
  • MARTYM8`MARTYM8` Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone recollect when in November these changes come in.

I have an old Tesco finest platinum card.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides