Changes to Tesco Clubcard Credit Card.

in Credit Cards
65 replies 15.4K views

Replies

• DhruckuDhrucku Forumite
    147 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    eagle wrote: »
    This is good timing for me. Was just looking for a way to maximise my Avios/BA points and was considering the Tesco Credit Card as an alternative to Amex. At least now I will think about one less card from my shortlist!

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/ba-credit-card/

Is all you need.
  • eagleeagle Forumite
    586 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Dhrucku wrote: »

I agree. I am also getting the Lloyds Avios card (cheaper one) to have as a backup for use abroad (avios + 0% loading fee) and for where Amex is not accepted, albeit at a much lower earning rate.
  • SerendipitiousSerendipitious Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got the letter this morning. I feel quite sorry for Tesco. The cardholders might lose a few pennies but T will lose customers.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• jmfwiltsjmfwilts Forumite
    27 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    redpete wrote: »
    Or £1503.99 in a month gets 187 points, £1504 gets 188 pts, £1511.99 gets 188 pts - pretty irrelevant effect compared with the halving of the total number of points.

Sadly if that £1504 is made up entirely of transactions less than £8 each then you get 0 points.
  • redpeteredpete Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    jmfwilts wrote: »
    Sadly if that £1504 is made up entirely of transactions less than £8 each then you get 0 points.
    After all these years I've learned this. I never suspected they would treat each transaction individually!
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • eagleeagle Forumite
    586 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Got the letter this morning. I feel quite sorry for Tesco. The cardholders might lose a few pennies but T will lose customers.

Why feel sorry for them? They caused this onslaught, now they deserve to feel the aftershock of their decision...

They could have easily increased the interest rate on their cards, removed some introductory offers, even introduced an annual fee on the card. It was their choice to slash clubcard points though.
  • I use Tesco cc to get club card points which are automatically converted to Avios so we regularly use them for flights, we flew to Canary Islands this year Club Europe, only paying taxes!! I am certainly changing to Lloyds Card which offers a very good rate of earning Avios. We put everything we buy on the card, paying it off in full every month. Sorry Tesco but time to change.
  • edited 9 September 2015 at 7:17AM
    Feral_MoonFeral_Moon Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 September 2015 at 7:17AM
    My Tesco cc has been my main monthly spend card for 10+ years now as I collect the clubcard points to convert to deals but I think I'll be ditching it in favour of Barclaycard's Amex/Cashback duo. It's currently paying only 1%/0.5% respectively but better than nothing.

Interestingly, for the first time ever since holding this card, I received an email this morning offering 18mths 0% on BT and Money transfers :rotfl:
  • King_Of_FoolsKing_Of_Fools Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I think we will need to wait until November to decide which card still is offering the best return. I expect more to follow Tesco.
  • 20aday20aday Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we will need to wait until November to decide which card still is offering the best return. I expect more to follow Tesco.

I do too. And for those whom don't slash rewards on credit cards I expect to see an increase in the APRs and more cards attracting Annual Fees.

Despite having my credit card just over three years with Tesco now I had an email from them offering my money transfers and balance transfers for the first time ever.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES