First-Time Credit Card

Options
I am looking into getting my first credit card. I do have some form of a credit rating due to having finance on my car, etc. All my current accounts are with BoS with my ISA being with RBS. I have a good steady income, with no overdraft on any of my accounts. I'm 22 years old, and would mainly use my credit card for online shopping.

I'm wondering what the best deal with a credit card is at the moment, for the purpose I desire it. I'm going to book an appointment with my bank BoS tomorrow (1/9/15) to discuss what THEIR options are.

Once I have a credit card, can I get advice regarding the best way to build my credit rating up? I'm looking to buy a house next year with my partner, and as before mentioned, I had my car on finance with which I met all my payments on time.

Help appreciated!

Comments

• GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Try Barclaycard/Aqua or one with your bank...

Always make payments on time in full & over time your credit rating will go up....
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    do you 'need' a credit card

With steady income/no overdraft/savings...why not limit online shopping to debit card.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • hoggl1
    hoggl1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I do, otherwise in the financial world, I don't "exist." Like I said in my post, I'm trying to buy a house which depends on income, rating, savings, etc etc.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    try a soft search 1st before applying.

use eligiblity checker or similar 1st -most cc company have website checkers.

Barclaycard/banks etc

get 0% interest and if possible- make small purchases and pay in full each month

'don't go shopping crazy as your home purchase approaches -keep lots of 'headroom' available credit.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Checking with your own bank first is a good idea. they already have an existing relationship with you so will know your account activity.

Do you do online banking with BOS? They show offers of products that may be of interest to you, if you have that switched on, via internet banking. That may give you a good indication whether or not you will be accepted.

Whichever credit card you get, I would set up a DD to pay in full each month. The DD ensures you never forget/miss/are too busy to make sure your payment arrives on time. This is essential if you are going for a mortgage, late payments would not look good. ;)

Good luck with your appointment :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    Dandytf wrote: »
    do you 'need' a credit card

With steady income/no overdraft/savings...why not limit online shopping to debit card.

This is a bad idea. If nothing else, using a credit card provides you with additional protection should retailers go under (s75 for purchases of £100<£30,000, on top of the Visa/MC/Amex chargeback schemes) or you be a victim of fraud (it's not your bank account the fraudsters are clearing out).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure