PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Late with rent.

Options

Comments

• sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    They can. I assume there is a choice of payment methods and this one takes 2-3 days. Even if there is no choice, if the deal is that the payment method takes 2-3 days, you need to make the payment 2-3 days before the due day, so you know that it hits your account on time.

I have a credit card with a major High Street store, there are a choice of payment methods, some are instant, some take days. I have to make the payments so the money hits their account by the due date or I get penalty payments.

slightly different, as a CC gives when each payment method needs to be made by.

A CC does not tell you what you owe on Monday, give 3 different payment methods and each one has a 2-3 built in delay,then tell you you're late.

The CC gives around 2 weeks notice first, which allows for the any payment delays.

We can argue I know the rent will be due so I don't need to wait till Monday to be told, but we can equally argue a request for payment needs to be made before it can be expected to be paid...just like in your CC example.

I've conceded the lateness point in my OP, it's the order of possession I'm more concerned to get answered.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sniggings wrote: »
    ... the question is, ....surely a court would not entertain such action for 1-2 weeks lateness?
    If rent is owed and unpaid, the court will have no choice but to 'entertain' the case and enforce payment.

If the claimant (HA) also claims legal costs(likely), and interest (likely), the court will award these too.

Courts cannot choose which actions to take or reject. They can only look at the facts and decide who is in the right and wrong. In this example where rent is owed, you would be in the wrong.
  • sniggings
    Options
    Innys1 wrote: »
    I assume you have a job.

If so, how would you feel if your employer paid your wages 8 days late every month for a year? You'd probably consider terminating the relationship - the HA are doing the same.

if I gave my employer 3 payment methods and each one had a 2-3 day delay, I would only blame myself.

Payment in cash is not an option.

Oh and I do get paid late each month, as the cutoff for each month is anything up to 10 days before I get paid, so not a good example.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stop paying it completely, get evicted, live on the street, no rent to pay, no problem.

Otherwise, be a grown up and pay on time.
  • sniggings
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    When I rented I paid the rent by faster payment on the day it was due. I wouldn't have dreamed of paying it late.

And yes it's overkill by the HA but I suspect they are well and truly hacked off.

if well and truly hack off then at least send a letter explaining, not straight to court if not settled within 3 days:eek:
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Why does there have to be a request for payment? Don't the terms of your rental agreement or lease not state what the rent is and when it is payable?

My kids have rented for a combined total of 7 years for college and each of the contracts have always laid down the terms of payment; amounts and due dates.

I can access online rent accounts and see the current balances, but that's all they are - currents balances at the time of looking at them. So if I am supposed to pay rent on a Monday, the balance in the rent account will show nil on Sunday, then -rent amount on Monday; ie it's now outstanding.

I'm not surprised the HA are losing patience - you seem to be saying that you have been a late payer every single rent period, now you're falling behind even more. Wouldn't it be a lot less stressful just to pay what you owe in the correct timeframe?
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • bobbymotors
    Options
    OP why not just live cheaply for a couple of weeks and pay as you edo now except you catch up a week then no more arrears?

I am a landlord and if the rent isn't in my bank on or before the correct days (unless they have advised 'bob rent will be 3days late this month is that ok?') then I am straight on the phone to them, if still nothing after 3 days or so I go round if they ignore my calls. If they aren't in I leave a note in the kitchen for them but not in an envelope so all can see it.

They learn eventually, usually takes 3 or 4 months though. Mind you I don't want ANY of their money: just mine thanks

the admin on checking payments in takes more time than you would believe.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if well and truly hack off then at least send a letter explaining, not straight to court if not settled within 3 days:eek:

It could well have something to do with your impending change of tenancy. With a history of regular late paying, it may be that they would prefer to get you out now before it could become harder to do so.

The simple solution is for you to pay the arrears and then get into the habit of paying sufficiently in advance that the payment will reach your account by the Monday. If you know it'll take 2-3 days, presumably excluding weekends, then you really ought to plan to pay on or before the Wednesday of the previous week - certainly not the Friday after it was due.

I still set up my credit card bill payments for three days before they are due, from force of habit, even though (because it always goes by faster payments nowadays) my statements always show the payment being credited on the same day as I told my bank to pay it. It may not really be necessary but I have the peace of mind that I know it's arrived in good time.
  • sniggings
    edited 29 August 2015 at 5:40PM
    Options
    OP why not just live cheaply for a couple of weeks and pay as you edo now except you catch up a week then no more arrears?

I am a landlord and if the rent isn't in my bank on or before the correct days (unless they have advised 'bob rent will be 3days late this month is that ok?') then I am straight on the phone to them, if still nothing after 3 days or so I go round if they ignore my calls. If they aren't in I leave a note in the kitchen for them but not in an envelope so all can see it.

They learn eventually, usually takes 3 or 4 months though. Mind you I don't want ANY of their money: just mine thanks

the admin on checking payments in takes more time than you would believe.

As said I will correct the situation, this is just the way I always have paid, was with a PL for 12 years previous to this and paid the same way, the HA when asked for a ref for this place said they have never been given a better ref, so didn't think this was an issue.

Seems daft to wait a year then your first opening words are court action...people seem to think it's them hacked off, I think I have just entered the 2 week lateness cutoff which has started this action, as surely if they can come out fightling like this,they wouldn't wait a year if the issue was a couple of days late a week.
  • Innys1
    Innys1 Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    Options
    if I gave my employer 3 payment methods and each one had a 2-3 day delay, I would only blame myself.

Payment in cash is not an option.

Oh and I do get paid late each month, as the cutoff for each month is anything up to 10 days before I get paid, so not a good example.

Right, so you have been provided three payment methods and each has a 2 to 3 day delay. So let's say the due date is the 1st of the month, are you saying the payment methods would not accept payment before the 3rd - it would be bounced back?

Or, are you saying that the payment date is the 1st and it takes 2 - 3 days to get there?

If it's the first option, I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe you. No bank account (presumably) will only accept payments through a very small window of opportunity - why would it be restricted in that way? After all, everyone wants money as soon as possible, don't they?

So, we're left with the second option - they have told you the due date, you know it takes 2 - 3 days to be processed but feel as long as you INITIATE the payment on the due date, that's the HA's problem, not yours. Guess, what? It's not their problem, it's yours........and it always has been.

As for your last paragraph, are you seriously saying you can't pay your rent because its due date doesn't align with when you get paid? So how do you think everyone else manages? Does everyone else in the country get paid the day before all their expenses are due?

You may find a course in budgeting useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure