🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Credit rating confusion

Options
I am having some confusion over my credit rating.

Whilst my credit report shows what I think is a good credit rating, I have been declined a credit card application.

I have just used your eligibility calculator on this site and I was told that you couldn't get my information from the credit bureau.

I am eager to resolve whatever the issue is as I am looking to move to a bigger place and I don't want to have my application for a larger mortgage turned down.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What do your credit files say? Is the information accurate - particularly addresses?
  • Clarem83
    Options
    It says I have a credit score of 999 with 5 positive score effecting factors and 1 negative which states "You have no settled non-mail order credit accounts". I don't really know what this means.

I have only lived at my current address for 4 years and it appears that they needed 6 years so I have updated that with my previous address. Could this have been one of the issues?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ignore the score - it doesn't mean anything.

Does it show your existing/previous credit agreements? Does it show nay defaults or CCJs etc?

What are your total limits and balances?

Does it show you as being on the electoral roll?
  • Clarem83
    Options
    Sorry I am a bit simple when it comes to financial information - when you say credit agreements I'm assuming these are things like mobile phone contracts, if leased a car etc. At the moment all I can see is my mortgage and one of my utility bills.

I can't see any defaults and I don't have any CCJs.

I am on the electoral roll but where that is mentioned on the report it doesn't say anything in the box next to it. Should it?
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Which credit reference agency are you looking at?

If the electoral roll information is incorrect/missing from your files with the credit reference agencies then this could be causing an issue with the eligibility checker.

The MSE checker uses primarily callcredit data, so if you haven't already done so I would get a copy of your callcredit file (free online via their noddle website).
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Clarem83
    Options
    I am using Experian for my credit report.

I will have a look at the CallCredit one today.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Clarem83 wrote: »

I will have a look at the CallCredit one today.

Here's the link for it https://www.noddle.co.uk/
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills