Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Comments

• Hey guys, just managed to get a very good deal on my Virgin BB.

was on M100 for £34 a month, was offered the standard £4/month to continue.

Rang up 3 days before end of contract, wanted better speed as our house has a poor signal and need faster speed coming into the house so asked for M350.

was first offered £42 then was put through to ‘cancellations’ who offered £40. I continued with cancelling the contract & was phoned the next day and offered M350 for £30/month and threw a free virgin stream box in with the deal.

good luck hagglers!
  • psul
    psul Posts: 18
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Been paying £25 for 100mb about to increase to £44. Was offered new contact at existing price of £25 but kept my nerve and asked for disconnection. Got a call back from an 0208 number offering double speed to 200mb for £20 or if I took a stream box as well it would bring the price down to £19!?? So obviously accepted 200mb and tv for £19 thank you very much. 
  • Hi, i am finding it impossible to get the women on the other end of the phone to understand what i am saying and what i am wanting to do, they have very strong Asian accents like Korean or maybe even Chinese and i am getting nowhere fast. Would there be a phone number that i could call to get someone who can help to remove a cancellation fee of £150.00 that Virgin added to my bill, before cancelling the cancellation?? If that makes any sense? I called the automated 150 line and got the same thing of owing them an extra 150 pounds again today, nothing is being done here i am real tired of trying.

Thanks if anyone can help me. I don't have Virgin mobile and so can not use the phone app that the advisers love to keep telling me to do, it must be a phone line or maybe a chat as well. Cheers.
  • PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 468
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi, i am finding it impossible to get the women on the other end of the phone to understand what i am saying and what i am wanting to do, they have very strong Asian accents like Korean or maybe even Chinese and i am getting nowhere fast. Would there be a phone number that i could call to get someone who can help to remove a cancellation fee of £150.00 that Virgin added to my bill, before cancelling the cancellation?? If that makes any sense? I called the automated 150 line and got the same thing of owing them an extra 150 pounds again today, nothing is being done here i am real tired of trying.

Thanks if anyone can help me. I don't have Virgin mobile and so can not use the phone app that the advisers love to keep telling me to do, it must be a phone line or maybe a chat as well. Cheers.
    They have call centres in the Philippines and India so you may have got one of them, ring first thing in morning after 8 and you should get UK call centre.  
  • Success for me yesterday.

We had a virgin bigger bundle package, with BT Sport and Sky Sports in HD, a second box, 350MB broadband and a phone line and unlimited 4G sim card (neither of which we used!). I was paying £85/m originally, which crept up with inflation etc to £94/m, but was due to jump up to ~£140/m next week.

I rang to haggle last week. Original offer, the same as the existing plan, was £92/m. I said i was keen to cancel on that basis. Next adviser - an English accent - offered similar but then also offered, for £99/m, a new Volt bundle, which would retain the existing multiroom and channels, but add Sky Cinema HD, a Netflix Standard subscription (which we dont already have and would cost £10.99/m direct from Netflix), upgrade to an unlimited 5G O2 sim and increase the broadband speed up to 1GB. The package sounded good, but the price was a bit higher than I'd like, but it didnt sound like anything more was going to be available. I said I would call back once we'd had chance to talk it through at home. Details were saved on the system to save having to go through the battle again. To note, the same package is available for new customers, minus multiroom, for £85/m.

Rang VM back yesterday to sort this out. Mentioned the previous discussions, and confirmed the price. I then mentioned about the fact that this was available for £85/m for new customers as per the website, and that it wasn't great for existing loyal customers. After a few minutes of checking, i was offered the advisers 'personal discount', which i presume they can give out to anyone they feel like, of £10/m. Therefore, total package £89/m. Accepted at that point (I couldn't be bothered with trying to haggle further, though expect i could've got a little further if I'd really pushed!).

Hope thats helpful.

On a related note, the contract is actually 2 contracts paid as 1 - a VM contract of £64/m and an O2 contract of £25/m. My existing sim only mobile is £20/m, and i have the same level of service, so its of no use. But that makes me wonder if its possible to cancel the O2 sim through O2 directly. The paperwork isnt particularly clear whether there is a minimum contract period or not, only mentioning an 18 month airtime plan. Has anyone tried cancelling the O2 element of the bundle?
  • Hi, i am finding it impossible to get the women on the other end of the phone to understand what i am saying and what i am wanting to do, they have very strong Asian accents like Korean or maybe even Chinese and i am getting nowhere fast. Would there be a phone number that i could call to get someone who can help to remove a cancellation fee of £150.00 that Virgin added to my bill, before cancelling the cancellation?? If that makes any sense? I called the automated 150 line and got the same thing of owing them an extra 150 pounds again today, nothing is being done here i am real tired of trying.

Following this thread very closely, and notice the following numbers crop up in relation to getting a better deal with Virgin.
    02037 436946
    02037 436947
  • PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 468
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Success for me yesterday.

We had a virgin bigger bundle package, with BT Sport and Sky Sports in HD, a second box, 350MB broadband and a phone line and unlimited 4G sim card (neither of which we used!). I was paying £85/m originally, which crept up with inflation etc to £94/m, but was due to jump up to ~£140/m next week.

I rang to haggle last week. Original offer, the same as the existing plan, was £92/m. I said i was keen to cancel on that basis. Next adviser - an English accent - offered similar but then also offered, for £99/m, a new Volt bundle, which would retain the existing multiroom and channels, but add Sky Cinema HD, a Netflix Standard subscription (which we dont already have and would cost £10.99/m direct from Netflix), upgrade to an unlimited 5G O2 sim and increase the broadband speed up to 1GB. The package sounded good, but the price was a bit higher than I'd like, but it didnt sound like anything more was going to be available. I said I would call back once we'd had chance to talk it through at home. Details were saved on the system to save having to go through the battle again. To note, the same package is available for new customers, minus multiroom, for £85/m.

Rang VM back yesterday to sort this out. Mentioned the previous discussions, and confirmed the price. I then mentioned about the fact that this was available for £85/m for new customers as per the website, and that it wasn't great for existing loyal customers. After a few minutes of checking, i was offered the advisers 'personal discount', which i presume they can give out to anyone they feel like, of £10/m. Therefore, total package £89/m. Accepted at that point (I couldn't be bothered with trying to haggle further, though expect i could've got a little further if I'd really pushed!).

Hope thats helpful.

On a related note, the contract is actually 2 contracts paid as 1 - a VM contract of £64/m and an O2 contract of £25/m. My existing sim only mobile is £20/m, and i have the same level of service, so its of no use. But that makes me wonder if its possible to cancel the O2 sim through O2 directly. The paperwork isnt particularly clear whether there is a minimum contract period or not, only mentioning an 18 month airtime plan. Has anyone tried cancelling the O2 element of the bundle?
    I think some people have cancelled the O2 part of it within first 14 days on other forums, but I think it should, note should, trigger virgin who then would then put their package up to the full £140 or whatever it is.  Be careful, but you could take that risk I guess, and if virgin pull you up on it say oh didn’t realise let’s reinstate it etc…
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,565
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Hope thats helpful.

Can you cancel your existing sim only and port the number to O2? 

I had a similar situation with a Virgin + O2 combo and was planning to port my number over. However they got the deal wrong vs what I'd agreed on the phone with retentions. Many calls later, they were still checking the original call recording as they "couldn't have offered it so low". By the 14th day I cancelled with O2 to avoid getting stuck with a higher plan and I offered to reinstate a plan with O2 if they required it for my Virgin deal. Eventually the Virgin deal did get sorted and no ones mentioned the O2..

However that's not to say 100% that it'll work for you because mine took a chunk of manager involvement to override the deal. Also we already had another O2 sim in the household, so could link that for the Volt double broadband speed deal - without which we wouldn't get the speed we ended up with. So in the first instance, Id suggest seeing if you can use the O2 sim. 
  • We were sold Virgin last month on the premise that we could access Virgin Go in Guernsey, only to discover - after the 14-day cut off point when my partner actually went to Guernsey and tried to access it - that this is not the case. We have now tried to negotiate with Virgin to see if they can make it possible but they can't. They want to charge us the cancellation fee but can we refuse on the basis that we were mis-sold this product originally? The Terms and Conditions do say it's only accessible 'within the UK' and they're also telling us that our contract is only for TV, Broadband and phone, and that Virgin Go is an add-on so if it doesn't work, they could remove it and still charge us the full amount for the service. Does anyone know if we have a chance to avoid paying the cancellation fee?! We have now set up a Sky account as they do offer their service in Guernsey!
  • As my contract had ended Virgin were putting the price up from £30 to £48.25 (I was on 50mbit +Phone)
    The first phone call to cancel, I got an offer of £40 , next when I had booked Broadband from NOW for £22 they offered me £29 which I rejected and gave them my leaving date
    Virgin phoned me 2 days later and offered 100mbit + phone for £17/Month Saving £375 over the year
    Easy to cancel NOW Broadband as within 14 day cooling off
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure