Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Options

Comments

• youreds
    youreds Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    JJ_Egan said:
    Just be aware that OR ISPs may not be able to set you up quickly depending upon work needed .

Indeed, although it shouldn't need an engineer as I've had it before, it does say a visit is required when quoting.
  • moneysavingmike1
    Options
    Hi MSE, 
    I've got an email yesterday saying Virgin wanted to increase my bill to £64.00 a month, I rang up customer services to ask for a better price, they said that was the best price possible, so I asked to leave, they put me through to the leave department who then offered me the same package for £43.00 a month! I've just saved £252 a year by making that call! I also got my mobile phone bill lowered by £4 a month at the same time saving me an additional £48 a year! Thank you! 
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 June 2020 at 2:07PM
    Options
    I am with virgin have ultimate Oomph Bundle £99 (£103 price increase) gonna go up next month to about £124 (Way too much money)
    On there website new Customers pay £79 with free 4K TV gonna try haggle to see if i can get that offer 

There existing customer prices are a big fat joke  but can't give up Sky Sports F1 

• tripleh_2
    tripleh_2 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GTR_King said:
    I am with virgin have ultimate Oomph Bundle £99 (£103 price increase) gonna go up next month to about £124 (Way too much money)
    On there website new Customers pay £79 with free 4K TV gonna try haggle to see if i can get that offer 

There existing customer prices are a big fat joke  but can't give up Sky Sports F1 

Hi GTR, how did you get on. I spoke to them yesterday and the best offer I can get is Maxit Tv + Sky Sport, M200 broadband, Talk more anytime = £87. Not as good as the new customer deal!!
  • h158
    h158 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I need to reduce what we are paying with Virgin, been with them 8 years so after many phone calls with them, eventually cancelled on 31 May. I’m hoping that we hear from the retentions team with an offer....any recent experiences of this, or due to lower staffing at the moment will they be doing retention calls? 
  • Brosgidi
    Brosgidi Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    h158 said:
    I need to reduce what we are paying with Virgin, been with them 8 years so after many phone calls with them, eventually cancelled on 31 May. I’m hoping that we hear from the retentions team with an offer....any recent experiences of this, or due to lower staffing at the moment will they be doing retention calls? 
    Im in a similar situation. Been with them for 11 years and have been able to negotiate a good deal every year my contract is up for renewal.
    For some strange reason, this year, they dont seem to be interested in keeping my custom.  Its like they have a plan to shred customers. I pay £67 now, to go up to £122. They offered £93 which i rejected. Gave them the 30 days notice to cancel and the retentions were on the phone the next day. They offered £77, which I again rejected. I should have accepted that but I was going to hold out for a maximum £5 increase or a cheaper price even, which they offered last year by bringing my price down from £78 to £67.
    Since then, Ive called them twice, and the two guys I have spoken to, working from home, sounded so disinterested. It was like -
     'thats the price coming up on the computer, if you dont want it, come off the phone'.
    Both did not budge from £93. I tried going through the VM site chat yesterday and after a long wait, they couldnt offer better than £93 either. I feel they have a note on my account saying £93 or he can go elsewhere. 
    So the point is, h158, if they havent called you by now, they might not. I suggest try calling them again and if they dont offer you anything better, start making other plans. Ive had a look around and BT can offer me cheaper but its a 24 month contract, which will probably mean Virgin lose me forever. Dont think they even care anyway.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 June 2020 at 6:42PM
    Options
    Brosgidi said:
    h158 said:
    Im in a similar situation. Been with them for 11 years and have been able to negotiate a good deal every year my contract is up for renewal.
    For some strange reason, this year, they dont seem to be interested in keeping my custom.  Its like they have a plan to shred customers. I pay £67 now, to go up to £122. They offered £93 which i rejected. Gave them the 30 days notice to cancel and the retentions were on the phone the next day. They offered £77, which I again rejected. I should have accepted that but I was going to hold out for a maximum £5 increase or a cheaper price even, which they offered last year by bringing my price down from £78 to £67.
    Since then, Ive called them twice, and the two guys I have spoken to, working from home, sounded so disinterested. It was like -
     'thats the price coming up on the computer, if you dont want it, come off the phone'.
    Both did not budge from £93. I tried going through the VM site chat yesterday and after a long wait, they couldnt offer better than £93 either. I feel they have a note on my account saying £93 or he can go elsewhere. 
    So the point is, h158, if they havent called you by now, they might not. I suggest try calling them again and if they dont offer you anything better, start making other plans. Ive had a look around and BT can offer me cheaper but its a 24 month contract, which will probably mean Virgin lose me forever. Dont think they even care anyway.
    Maybe they've been given an internal pep talk along the lines of 'customers are nervous about losing their connection and about delays going to an alternative supplier during the lockdown - time to cash in boys, bonuses all round!'
    Once 5G home broadband arrives across the UK, they will be singing a different tune.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    buglawton said:

Once 5G home broadband arrives across the UK, they will be singing a different tune.
    Look like they've covered off the 5G angle

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/07/virgin-media-and-o2-owners-confirm-31bn-mega-merger-in-uk

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah what a shame then for Virgin and Openreach that there will be 3 other 5G networks for consumers to choose between. Instant installation, no faff. Gaming-quality low latency. Once 5G comes onstream there will be a vast oversupply of home internet bandwidth. Happy days.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 June 2020 at 11:16AM
    Options
    In towns and cities, I'm sure that there will be this choice.  However, in rural areas 5G will be very slow coming due to the cost per head.  In fact, for some rural areas, the only choice will be the current copper network for a long time to come.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback