I'd be interested in changing as well!
  • TF03
    TF03 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Via cancellations

Start by knowing what you want .
    Do you need the high speed fibre or would up to 52 meg do .
    Likewise what sport .
    New TV boxes are circa £49 last time i looked with a new contract .

My out of contract price rise haggle gave me .
    Advanced Line Rental Paid + up to 52 BB no calls + BT Max TV and BT Sport HD at circa £36 pm + BT TV You View 1 TB box at £49 +pp

Then price up alternatives so as you can say no sorry i am leaving as XXX is cheaper.
    But BT Sport is more expensive than BT on Sky etc.

So managed to get my package that I currently have, down to 47.99 per month. Very happy! Saving £276 a year!
  • GuitarMusic
    Options
    When I left BT last year, the offers they made me on the phone were nowhere the price I told them I could get elsewhere, and those was supposedly the absolute best deals they could offer me.

However, once they received the notification from my new broadband provider that I was in the process of moving, BT phoned me with a significantly better offer that was very close to what I was paying at the new provider.

If they'd given me the revised offer when I told them I was leaving, I might have stayed with them just to avoid the risk of the transfer getting messed up and being left without services while it was resolved.
  • Goldust
    Goldust Posts: 526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all - my house is up for sale and I'll be moving in with my parents for around 6 months. I was hoping to have sold already but alas not and my BT deal ends at the end of May.

It looks like it goes up quite a bit but I still need broadband until the house is sold. Has anyone negotiated a rolling contract with them before? Or are there any other options I can move to who won't hold me to a contract?

If I have to overpay for the next few months then so be it but would prefer to save money if possible :)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contract does not end as such .
    You move to a rolling 30 day contract with 30 days notice .
    This though costing more may be your best solution .
    Or use mobile networks ,
  • nick0013
    nick0013 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 June 2019 at 10:24PM
    Options
    I have just agreed a deal with bt, then changed my mind and canceled the same day.. I am just not sure if this is a good deal, I really wanted to reduce my monthly bill but it seems like pricing has gone up..!
    The deal was:
    FTTP
    a new BT smart hub 2 free set up / activation and delivery free
    ultrafast fibre plus (100Mb guaranteed)
    unlimited weekend calls
    Line rental
    bt tv max HD
    bt sport
    £68.99 / mth
    Is this a good deal?
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Much depends on how much the BT TV Max HD and BT Sport options cost and how much value you attach to them.

Bear in mind that in practice the minimum download speed of FTTP is c72Mbps. You probably would not notice the difference between 72 and 100 so paying extra for Ultrafast Fibre Plus is not cost effective.

I am on the minimum FTTP package with unlimited evening and weekend calls for £13/month. I pay the line rental annually in advance via line rental saver which is the equivalent of £18.32/month making a total of £31.32/month.

For daytime calls we use our mobile phone packages.

(1) BT mobile unlimited calls and texts and 1Gb data for £5.00/month
    (2) BT mobile unlimited calls and texts and 3Gb data for £5.83/month

So, your £68.99/month seems to be very expensive to me.
  • spyhunter
    spyhunter Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    sherpalina wrote: »
    Quick update - I did get a call back from the manager, he said he can't do any more than offer the £24.20 we were charged for the last bill. He said that can't tell me how much we're using through the BT vision box but it's definitely not included in our data bill. He denied that they have ever split out how much data was due to the BT vision box (though I definiltely remember seeing it, I now can't find it either online on my bills from the past 18 months, or on the previous paper bills, but there's a gap.

I've done a spreadsheet of all of our usage, and i honestly can't see how we go over 50GB without including the BT vision box.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

I'm so fed up, i've been loth to call BT about this because every single time I end up taking hours, raising my blood pressure, and no solution :mad:

BTTV usage does not come out of your broadband allowance. It never has.
  • stanleyman
    stanleyman Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    When my contract with BT was up, I called them to negotiate a new deal but was only offered about £37 a month (for Infinity 2 plus the basic calls package). I asked them repeatedly to speak to the retentions team since Sky were offering £27 a month for the same, but they kept saying they couldn't do any better (they kept saying their customer service was the justification for not matching Sky - absolutely no chance that their customer service is worth £10 a month!).

Fine, I went ahead and signed up with Sky. 10 days passed, and I received a welcome letter from Sky and a goodbye letter from BT in that time, when I got a call from BT's retentions team just 5 days before the switch date. Lo and behold, they offered £24 a month (and the newer router) for me to cancel the switch and stay with them.

Why on earth could they not have just given me that option when I called to cancel 10 days earlier? They've wasted their own time, my time and Sky's time (although they won't care about the latter), and for what?

Grrrr :mad:
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It might be because the retentions team don't get involved until you actually cancel.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback