Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does that include the Sept increase ??
  • JaneDoeJohnDoe
    Options
    Girlfriend had not realised her BT contract had expired as was being charged a lot with just 50p knocked off basic price.

Told her to haggle them down. Their "best offer" for Unlimited fibre 1 (50mb), Weekend calls was £31-99. (inc line rental but not line rental saver)

Considering I got that only a couple of weeks ago for £27-49 (& my BT sport with £7 off a month) I told her to further haggle & low & behold after a further "chat" with her "informing" BT of that fact plus including a quote for another supplier the price was dropped to £27-99 a month. :T:beer:
  • diesel_dog
    diesel_dog Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone downgraded from superfast 2 to one and been offered a good deal. I've been quoted 39.99 for sf2 and 52.49 to downgrade to good old simple superfast :eek:
  • Paully28
    Paully28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Paully28 wrote: »
    How much would you say I should be getting my BT package for.
    I have BB fibre unlimited 1
    landline
    Evening & weekend free calls
    Entertainment plus
    BT sport

£36- £40

Thanks for giving me a benchmark. I called BT to see what they could do and I have a new contract with;

BB fibre unlimited 1
    Landline
    Caller display
    Privacy caller display
    Evening & weekend free calls
    Entertainment plus TV
    BT Sport

for £33.69 per month
  • gravers007
    Options
    Question about haggling - my broadband deal with BT is due to end in a couple of weeks. I am also in the process of moving house in the not to distant future. If i cancel my current BT contract and get a rolling contract for now, could I get a new customer offer with BT once I've moved into my new place?

Or is that wishful thinking?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contract is at current abode new abode = new customer .
  • gravers007
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Contract is at current abode new abode = new customer .
    Thanks very much for clarifying!

Just got off the line with BT and the offered me a renewal offer of:
    - BT broadband (Cant remember the name but up to 50mb)
    - same call package (not really needed as we don't even have a house phone)
    - BT sport free

Price offered is £27 a month - however after line rental saver for first 12 months this gives an effective monthly price of £25.93/month.

Forgot my credit card at home so haven't actually processed it - can't really see me getting much more off. Anyone think I can get a better deal with them?
  • andydcag
    Options
    First post on the forum so hello MSE world! :)

So I was hit with my first £53.99 bill this month for Superfast 1 and evening/weekend call package. Was paying £36.49 previously - just come out of a discounted 12 month contract.
    Rang BT (08007831401) and got through to Joanne in Warrington who could not have been more helpful.
    I basically said that my latest bill was more than I was prepared to pay so I was thinking of leaving. She immediately came back with offer no 1 which was something like £42. I said I'd been looking at less than that. Then she went to 31.99 (plus £4 for the weekend calls).
    I said I'd been shopping around and was looking for something below £30. After a couple more offers heading in the right direction I eventually settled for £27.99 (well £28.49 from Sep) for everything I already have, plus caller ID. 18 month contract which I'm fine with for that money. My speed is around 72MB/s despite them saying that Superfast 1 only averages 52MB/s.

So I'm pretty chuffed, and as a reluctant haggler I think I did pretty well. If I can do it, anyone can! Thanks to all the encouragement on this forum, I took the plunge and ultimately saved £26 a month :T:j:beer:
  • devondiver
    devondiver Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 August 2018 at 11:56AM
    Options
    Okay, this goes on a bit but bear with me, I think it’s worth it.

In May my BT basic BB 18m contract expired and the price rocketed from £26/m to £43pm without me realising! In June I noticed it on my bank statements, and immediately cancelled my DD and rang BT to cancel my contract. I then signed up with EE for £19pm (basic BB).

Two days before the switch date I answered a call from BT (they had tried to call me several times before) who offered to do the same for £20pm as a new 18m contract, plus refunding me the extra they had charged me from May to June (before I noticed their ‘price rocket’). I agreed to stay with them and cancelled my EE order.

But there’s more: Just 2 weeks later I received a standard email from BT telling me that charges would be going up in September – mine by £2.50pm. BUT - I didn’t read the email until a few days ago – well outside the 30 days ‘grace’ period they allow you to cancel if you don’t agree. Got straight on the phone to customer services to tell them I was not happy with the increase and would be cancelling my contract. They said it would cost me a cancellation fee of c. £186! But they agreed to drop my increase and hold to the £20pm (for basic BB).

But there’s more: I had noticed that my BB speed, although expecting between 10 and 20 Mb/s was always at the lower end of this range, usually about 11Mb/s – and I was not happy with this. So, still on the same call, I moaned a bit about this and was told by CS that I should be getting c.17Mb/s. So they transferred me to a technician who went through everything with me and agreed that I was then getting c.10.5Mb/s - but that was as expected (in fact minimum guaranteed speed was only 3Mb/s!) on this deal and there was nothing to be done.

I said I still wasn’t happy so he transferred me back to customer service with a view to switching to fast fibre or whatever you call it. Speaking to someone new now he said he could upgrade me to FF, which would give me up to 30Mb/s at a special price of c.£38/m. I laughed and said something like “we are just a couple of poor pensioners here” and that was “out of the question”. I said I would cancel my contract and go to EE – who I think were offering the same at c.£26/m – and that I would contest the huge cancellation fee.

Still with me? The CS agent then said something like “give me a minute and I’ll see what I can do”. He came back and said “Okay. I am on the ‘loyalty team’ and I can offer you unlimited superfast fibre BB, that is 40Mb/s (with guaranteed minimum 35Mb/s!) all inclusive at £22.50pm for 18m, and with a new fast router completely FOC". I said “thank you. I’ll have some of that”. Now I'm happy.

Persistence definitely pays.
    I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a self-satisfied pessimist
  • scottch97
    scottch97 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Diesel dog:
    Has anyone downgraded from superfast 2 to one and been offered a good deal. I've been quoted 39.99 for sf2 and 52.49 to downgrade to good old simple superfast

Downgrades will always be charged at RRP. It is better to try and haggle on your current package than ask to downgrade, because it's very rare you'll get a good deal for downgrading. On BB, anyway. TV downgrades you can normally get decent deals for.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback