Options

Comments

• Paully28
    Paully28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Paully28 wrote: »
    How much would you say I should be getting my BT package for.
    I have BB fibre unlimited 1
    landline
    Evening & weekend free calls
    Entertainment plus
    BT sport

£36- £40

Thanks, I will give them a call and see what they can give me as I am currently paying £53.69. Thanks
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2018 at 7:00PM
    Options
    Paully28 wrote: »
    Not sure what they are, so not sure which I am on? sorry

FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet. This is fibre from the telephone exchange to the green cabinet situated on a roadside somewhere in your locality. The broadband from the green cabinet to your premises is via the old copper telephone cables, the length and condition of which determine the maximum speeds that you can achieve. The maximum download speed available on FTTC is around 75Mbps but can be much slower than that if you are a long distance from the green cabinet that serves your premises.

FTTP = Fibre To The Premises. This is continuous fibre all the way from the telephone exchange to your premises. FTTP is much much faster than FTTC with download speeds available up to around 1Gbps = 1000Mbps. In my experience FTTP is extremely reliable with constant speeds that vary little.

In most cases it is Openreach that decide whether you are on FTTC or FTTP. The customer normally has no choice in the matter.

Use speedtest.net on a computer that is connected to your router by cable, not by wifi, to check the ping, download speed, and upload speed that you are achieving. Low ping numbers are good. High download and upload numbers are good. Check again using a computer connected to your router by wifi. The difference will be the degradation that your wifi has imposed.

Those on FTTC have a wide choice of broadband provider. Those on FTTP have a choice of BT or BT. Thankfully BT do not appear to be abusing their dominant position in this market. There are a few other providers of FTTP but they are all way more expensive than BT.
  • Paully28
    Options
    neilsedaka wrote: »
    FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet. This is fibre from the telephone exchange to the green cabinet situated on a roadside somewhere in your locality. The broadband from the green cabinet to your premises is via the old copper telephone cables, the length and condition of which determine the maximum speeds that you can achieve. The maximum download speed available on FTTC is around 75Mbps but can be much slower than that if you are a long distance from the green cabinet that serves your premises.

FTTP = Fibre To The Premises. This is continuous fibre all the way from the telephone exchange to your premises. FTTP is much much faster than FTTC with download speeds available up to around 1Gbps = 1000Mbps. In my experience FTTP is extremely reliable with constant speeds that vary little.

In most cases it is Openreach that decide whether you are on FTTC or FTTP. The customer normally has no choice in the matter.

Use speedtest.net on a computer that is connected to your router by cable, not by wifi, to check the ping, download speed, and upload speed that you are achieving. Low ping numbers are good. High download and upload numbers are good. Check again using a computer connected to your router by wifi. The difference will be the degradation that your wifi has imposed.

Those on FTTC have a wide choice of broadband provider. Those on FTTP have a choice of BT or BT. Thankfully BT do not appear to be abusing their dominant position in this market. There are a few other providers of FTTP but they are all way more expensive than BT.

Thanks, I tried what you said and got;

Connected with a wire
    Ping 12
    Download 50.17
    Upload 10.37

wifi was
    Ping 15
    Down 18.02
    Up 9.29
  • neilsedaka
    neilsedaka Posts: 396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It looks like the wifi within your premises needs attention. A drop in download speed from 50.17 to 18.02 is massive. How far from the router was your device when you got the 18.02? Does the 18.02 improve the closer you get to the router?
  • Paully28
    Options
    I wasn't sure how much of a drop was acceptable. I was sat very close to the router. I just unplugged the cable to do the WiFi check and I don't think the cable is more than 1 metre-1.5 metres long.
  • neilsedaka
    Options
    Have you rebooted the router recently?
  • Paully28
    Options
    I haven't switched it off for a while, no.
  • neilsedaka
    Options
    You need to switch off the router, unplug, wait a few minutes, plug it back together again, switch on, and check your wired and wifi speeds again. Also reboot the computers/devices you are using.
  • Paully28
    Options
    Thanks, I will give that a try when I get in my house.
  • swanny65
    swanny65 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Just had my BT email advising our package was being increased from £71.98 pcm to £76.98 pcm. I had always been with BT as i needed a good connection and confess I had let this slip, I always move my electricity / gas every 12 months.

I called and said I was considering moving to plusnet and had never had a discount previously from BT.

The adviser was polite and helpful and provided the following:

BB (Fibre UL at 66 - 80 mgbts) + Line rental = £27.99
    TV = £7.50
    BT Sport = £3.50

Total £38.99 (a saving of £37.99 pcm)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business