Horrible dilemma

in Pets & Pet Care
56 replies 9.3K views

Replies

• whitewingwhitewing Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without meaning to upset anyone here further, if the kennels turn out not to have a licence, how sure are you that the dog actually died?
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    whitewing wrote: »
    Without meaning to upset anyone here further, if the kennels turn out not to have a licence, how sure are you that the dog actually died?

The thought has entered my head, sadly, but I don't want to mention it to my friend.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Then as a pet owner it would be your responsibilty to make it clear to a carer, which responsible pet owners do, even though it isn't a very nice thought.

I always give kennels or dog sitter my mobile, OH's mobile and my sister's home and mobile number to make sure they can get hold of someone
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • GwylimTGwylimT Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    noelphobic wrote: »
    I would have thought that a kennel would have a policy in place for this eventuality, which they don't seem to have.

They will do, it isn't their fault if they follow it and the owner disagrees yet still uses their service, its a fairl common policy especially as many vets will only store for 48 hours. I wouldn't want an animal cremating without a PM, so I make sure the kennel owner I use knows this and agrees to it.
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would check whether they are licensed or not.

I never thought about the fact that the dog may not have died until another poster said it. Also there was a post on facebook about a kennels where a dog died having been attacked by another dog or dogs they were looking after.

How do they say the dog died? As the owner I would also be concerned about that and obviously there is no way of knowing the truth as there is no body.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • GwylimTGwylimT Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    catkins wrote: »
    I always give kennels or dog sitter my mobile, OH's mobile and my sister's home and mobile number to make sure they can get hold of someone

If you haven't already talk to your vet about it, ours allows you to add details such as your wishes if your animal takes ill in kennels so your wishes can be followed through incase you don't get their in time.
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    While this is a very sensitive area - with you and your friend - if you've been given as a 'contact in case of ... Yet, your friend selected the Kennel, therefore she should have checked the 'license' and procedure, in the event of any 'problems'.

What though I am surprised at the non-availability of the Ashes, I would've thought that would've been questioned. Or have they gone to a Pet Cemetery?
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    catkins wrote: »
    I would check whether they are licensed or not.

I never thought about the fact that the dog may not have died until another poster said it. Also there was a post on facebook about a kennels where a dog died having been attacked by another dog or dogs they were looking after.

How do they say the dog died? As the owner I would also be concerned about that and obviously there is no way of knowing the truth as there is no body.

I have spoken to the council and they can't trace a licence under the details I've given them. They're passing it on to their licensing department and they will get back to me.

I haven't given them any info on what happened and will only do so if my friend wanted to investigate further of her own volition and asked for my advice.

They said they just found the dog dead and don't know how he died and that he wasn't seen by a vet.

I would have thought a vet would have to be seen to arrange the cremation but don'tknow what the procedures are.
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    no1catman wrote: »
    While this is a very sensitive area - with you and your friend - if you've been given as a 'contact in case of ... Yet, your friend selected the Kennel, therefore she should have checked the 'license' and procedure, in the event of any 'problems'.

What though I am surprised at the non-availability of the Ashes, I would've thought that would've been questioned. Or have they gone to a Pet Cemetery?

I wasn't given as a contact. I wish I had been in some ways.

My friend doesn't know where the dog was cremated. I think she was too upset to ask many questions.
  • whitewingwhitewing Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I would speak confidentially to the licencing department and explain what has happened about the dog. It all sounds very odd. I would actually say that you haven't discussed this with your friend at the moment as you don't want to make a painful situation even more painful with her.

Of course, it may be that she says something at some point that lets you raise the matter with her.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides