Horrible dilemma

in Pets & Pet Care
56 replies 9.3K views

Replies

• noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having had to put my favourite dog to sleep yesterday, I have to say that I can't think of anything worse than having someone else digging round in the situation and trying to prove some kind of illegality.

Unless you think that the kennels' mistreatment was a contributing factor in the dog's death you really do have to let this go and just be prepared to support your friend if s/he needs it.

You really aren't helping anybody by interfering and are likely to be putting your friend through more distress.

I am really sorry to hear about your dog. I understand the points you are making and of course I don't want to cause my friend any further distress.

I do intend to phone the council tomorrow and check if this business has a licence. I won't give them details of what happened to my friend's dog and won't tell her I spoke to them.

I don't see the point in kennels having to be licensed if people turn a blind eye if and when they're not.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having had to put my favourite dog to sleep yesterday, I have to say that I can't think of anything worse than having someone else digging round in the situation and trying to prove some kind of illegality.

Unless you think that the kennels' mistreatment was a contributing factor in the dog's death you really do have to let this go and just be prepared to support your friend if s/he needs it.

You really aren't helping anybody by interfering and are likely to be putting your friend through more distress.

I'd second this. Bear in mind that your friend chose those particular kennels for her dog. It's bad enough for her that here pet has died when she wasn't there, without you implying to her, (intentionally or not) that she didn't do her homework in checking whether it was licensed. It's only going to add to her guilt.
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I'd second this. Bear in mind that your friend chose those particular kennels for her dog. It's bad enough for her that here pet has died when she wasn't there, without you implying to her, (intentionally or not) that she didn't do her homework in checking whether it was licensed. It's only going to add to her guilt.

Which is why I have decided not to tell her if I find out the kennels are unlicensed.
  • missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    noelphobic wrote: »
    I am really sorry to hear about your dog. I understand the points you are making and of course I don't want to cause my friend any further distress.

I do intend to phone the council tomorrow and check if this business has a licence. I won't give them details of what happened to my friend's dog and won't tell her I spoke to them.

I don't see the point in kennels having to be licensed if people turn a blind eye if and when they're not.

But, unless the kennel has done something that led to the dog's death, what difference does it make whether or not they were licensed? How is it going to help your friend to know that this is the case (if it is)?

Thanks for the good wishes, I'm sure you mean well.:)
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    But, unless the kennel has done something that led to the dog's death, what difference does it make whether or not they were licensed? How is it going to help your friend to know that this is the case (if it is)?

Thanks for the good wishes, I'm sure you mean well.:)

It won't make a difference to my friend, which is why I have decided not to tell her either way.

I do think that if it's unlicensed then it should be reported - not in order to get this incident looked into, as I've decided not to give the council details of that, partly because of the advice on here. It should be reported because if they are unlicensed then they are breaking the law and are not being inspected.

I can't think of a single reason not to check if they are licensed, bearing in mind I'm not telling my friend this and if there are any dodgy practices then I could be protecting other animals.
  • If it were me, I'd try and get to the bottom of it for your own reference at least. If you're suspicious or concerned about the handling, I'd imagine your friend, the owner, may go through a similar train of thought amongst the grieving process, and if nothing else, you may be able to reassure her that things were handled correctly.
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apart from obviously being upset, I would not be happy that my pet had been cremated without my consent or knowledge.

If she had been away for weeks or months then, obviously, it would be different but surely the dog could have been kept at a vet's? I would want to say goodbye to my dog and decide for myself if I wanted them cremated or not.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • GwylimTGwylimT Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    catkins wrote: »
    Apart from obviously being upset, I would not be happy that my pet had been cremated without my consent or knowledge.

If she had been away for weeks or months then, obviously, it would be different but surely the dog could have been kept at a vet's? I would want to say goodbye to my dog and decide for myself if I wanted them cremated or not.

Then as a pet owner it would be your responsibilty to make it clear to a carer, which responsible pet owners do, even though it isn't a very nice thought.
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    catkins wrote: »

Yes, she is very upset about that and would have liked to have had the ashes but that's not possible now.

Of course for all the kennels knew she might have wanted to bury him.
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Then as a pet owner it would be your responsibilty to make it clear to a carer, which responsible pet owners do, even though it isn't a very nice thought.

I would have thought that a kennel would have a policy in place for this eventuality, which they don't seem to have.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides