Horrible dilemma

in Pets & Pet Care
56 replies 9.3K views
noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
2.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
My friend put her dog in boarding kennels when she went on holiday. While she was away the dog died very suddenly.

The kennel couldn't get hold of her so had the dog cremated.

I've looked up the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 but some councils seem to have variations in the licensing conditions.

Some councils specify that if an animal dies they must be informed and the kennel has to make arrangements for the body to be stored with a vet until the owner returns.

Our local council doesn't seem to stipulate this, although I think it would be best practice. However, I can't find this establishment's name on the list of licensees. I've only looked online and can phone the council tomorrow in case that list isn't up to date.

My dilemma is whether I should tell my friend if it transpires that the kennels aren't licensed. She is obviously extremely upset as it is.

I don't want to name the council or kennel on here but would welcome any advice.
3 stone down, 3 more to go

Replies

• noelphobic wrote: »
    My friend put her dog in boarding kennels when she went on holiday. While she was away the dog died very suddenly.

The kennel couldn't get hold of her so had the dog cremated.

Maybe keep your suspicions to yourself at this stage, but that does sound a bit unlikely. Why couldn't they contact her? Presumably she gave them her details.

Slightly different, but basically similar scenario here, you might find useful

http://forum.champdogs.co.uk/topic_show.pl?tid=138371
    The report button is for abusive posts, not because you don't like someone, or their opinions
  • edited 23 August 2015 at 8:26PM
    noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 August 2015 at 8:26PM
    Maybe keep your suspicions to yourself at this stage, but that does sound a bit unlikely. Why couldn't they contact her? Presumably she gave them her details.

Slightly different, but basically similar scenario here, you might find useful

http://forum.champdogs.co.uk/topic_show.pl?tid=138371

She was abroad so I think they may have tried to ring her.

I did come across that when I googled earlier. Such a horrible situation.

I don't think they harmed her dog but I think they handled it badly. If they're not licensed they may have panicked.

I won't be telling her anything until I've spoken to the council. If he is licensed and hasn't broken the terms of the license then I won't even tell her I checked.
  • trinidadonetrinidadone Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear of the loss.
    how long did you friend go on holiday for, and which part of the holiday did the sudden death took part?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear of the loss.
    how long did you friend go on holiday for, and which part of the holiday did the sudden death took part?

I think she was away for around ten days and it was within the last few days.
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    noelphobic wrote: »
    I think she was away for around ten days and it was within the last few days.

ok, once again i am really sorry. my cat is quite ill at the moment,
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok, once again i am really sorry. my cat is quite ill at the moment,

I'm sorry to hear that.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just let it go altogether to be honest.

Leave it, because you will drag it all up again and she will be even more upset.
    You are likely to be the baddie when it all calms down.

Why are you going to so much trouble, it really has nothing to do with you.

In other words, mind your own business.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    McKneff wrote: »
    I would just let it go altogether to be honest.

Leave it, because you will drag it all up again and she will be even more upset.
    You are likely to be the baddie when it all calms down.

Why are you going to so much trouble, it really has nothing to do with you.

In other words, mind your own business.

Ouch!

I intend to contact the council to ask if this business is licensed. I may or may not tell my friend what they say.

It may be that the trouble I am going to could prevent problems for others in the future and if the business isn't licensed then I would like to know why it isn't.
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    noelphobic wrote: »
    Ouch!

I intend to contact the council to ask if this business is licensed. I may or may not tell my friend what they say.

It may be that the trouble I am going to could prevent problems for others in the future and if the business isn't licensed then I would like to know why it isn't.

Contact the LA tomorrow. remember, most LA's busies times are money mornings, so if you can hold on till money after noon, you will save yourself alot of time hanging on the phone or queing.

Please let us know how you get on
  • missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having had to put my favourite dog to sleep yesterday, I have to say that I can't think of anything worse than having someone else digging round in the situation and trying to prove some kind of illegality.

Unless you think that the kennels' mistreatment was a contributing factor in the dog's death you really do have to let this go and just be prepared to support your friend if s/he needs it.

You really aren't helping anybody by interfering and are likely to be putting your friend through more distress.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides