Our new Broadband Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Replies

• On Saturday, BT sent me an email with the headline "Upgrade to 50Mb Superfast Fibre broadband for FREE.

Reading the detail it outlined that I could have the Fibre broadband at the same price as I already pay for standard broadband (£45) I am a BT Broadband (standard) customer of 5 years standing. I also have anytime calls (£7.99) and 2 mobile phone SIMS (£5 each with discount).

A quick look at BT website informed me they were offering the same BB to new customers for £29.99! Now, superfast fibre has only just arrived here and only option to switch was sky who could offer me BB of similar speed for £30.

I phoned BT on Sunday and after l lengthy call the operator obtained me manager offer of £34.99 for the BB deal which was only open to take at that time. I am never in a hurry so rejected it.

I phined again tonigth and a different operator went to a different manager and achived me the deal of £29.99 for the BB same as new customers.

Morral of the story....never gove and certainly never take first offer.

Mike
  • HevskiHevski Forumite
    5 Posts
    Second Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I live in the Highlands, my Internet speeds are a download of 1.75mbps at the most and .35 uploads and I'm being charged by thieving BT £56 a month for this privilege, I've haggled and pleaded with them.. I've had such !!!!!! service from BT. I was cut off for 3 months because of snow at one point and they wanted to charge me for that. And then if the wires get damaged by water ingress I have to call them out for that too. And they are quick to blame the problem on you at first until they realise it is their own equipment. I am on disability benefits too, so I can't afford these extraordinarily expensive prices for such a shoddy service.
    I have argued my case so many times, they were meant to bring it down to £25, a month, but oh not quite it creeped back up to £35 a month. And now! I am at the end of my 18 month contract I think now, I'm not sure, but I think it's entirely unfair that I'm paying this price for these speeds..
    I think people have speeds like mine, should be offered a severe discount of like at least £15 a month, it's disgusting.

I'm thinking of switching to SSE, but there aren't many providers. So I don't know what to do. There's no fibre optic of course either. You are so lucky if you can get really fast speeds for £18 a month..... :(
  • editor1editor1 Forumite
    287 Posts
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Just renewed with Sky for £16.99, the price point I achieved earlier this year, thus our Line Rental, unlimited ASDL BB and Anytime call package is more than 50% less than the listed price, initially Sky offered a £5 discount on LineRental, when i got on to chat they initially offered an inclusive package of £20.50 a month for 12 months, when i mentioned their sister company was offering its service to new customers for less than what I've been paying most of the year, they re-newed my £16.99 deal for 12 months - given i've had decent service with Sky since joining them and that my actually cost is lower than three years ago with PlusNet, i'm quite satisfied by this - hopefully, next year will be able to get a Fibre connection, including Anytime calls for 20 quid a month, in which case I'd upgrade.
  • katies_mumkaties_mum Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also renewed with Sky chat and for £23 monthly for 12 months and got line rental for £8.99, unlimited Fibre Broadband for £6.01 and anytime calls £8. I was very happy with this price (I also mentioned Now broadband prices)
  • editor1editor1 Forumite
    287 Posts
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    @katie's mum,

Can't really argue with that because you have both fibre and unlimited calls, our deal was £8.99 Line Rental, £8.00 Anytime calls and ASDL BB free, we are on under a 5Mbps service, which is only used when i'm visiting my folks in reality - so its line rental and anytime calls they want as cheap as possible.

Again, once regular fibre costs from to the 20 quid mark inclusive of Anytime calls i'll switch the folks over.
  • edited 11 January 2019 at 10:22PM
    RachelLee99RachelLee99 Forumite
    1 Post
    edited 11 January 2019 at 10:22PM
    I switched to BT two years ago from EE via Topcashback at a cost of £30.99 pm (with the cash back, it was effectively £19 (line rental + 35mb speed + weekend unlimited calls) for 12 months. I was given a speed boost to 75mb sometime during the contract. When it came up for renewal, I told them I would like to leave, so they reduced it to £25 (from £30.99). The price was increased to 27.5 in Sept 2018.
    When the contract expired this month, they started charging me £43. So I rang them again and they said they are happy to keep the price at 27.5 for an 18-month contract. I said I am not prepared to pay more than £25, so she asked me to wait and came back with an offer of £24.99. Vodafone and Now are effectively £22.5 pm after cash back for the same speed. Did anyone get BT sports thrown in for similar price? or am I asking for too much? :-))
  • ET18ET18 Forumite
    48 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    I just called Virgin Media who I have a 30 day rolling contract with for their vivid 200 offer. I currenty pay £35.24 for broadband only. Said i didnt need speeds this fast and only had 200 as they gave me a free upgrade last year.

They offered a new contract for £25 a month for the same deal, said downgrading to the vivid 100 I would be worse off. Now i have a 14 day cooling period, is there much else I can get, or should i be looking for a better deal still?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    ET18 wrote: »
    They offered a new contract for £25 a month for the same deal, said downgrading to the vivid 100 I would be worse off. Now i have a 14 day cooling period, is there much else I can get, or should i be looking for a better deal still?

That's the deal for new customers at the moment for 100Mb plus a £75 credit on the account, see if you can get the same deal.

Do you need 200Mb (presuming you actually get that at peak times).
  • ET18ET18 Forumite
    48 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    The only reason I am currently getting 200Mb is because they upgraded me for free during my contract for 100Mb. I have called to try and get them to negotiate a lower cost for my now, rolling 30 day ontract but they insist that I cannot get 200Mb elsewhere.

There are 4 of us, who stream and download quite a bit and currently friday 6.30pm I am getting 214Mb/s -though we are not always using during peak. We don't use a landline , or have a tv package either.

Should I be looking for a better offer in your opinion, since this is what they are offering new customers and i have been with them for 2-3 years now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    ET18 wrote: »
    The only reason I am currently getting 200Mb is because they upgraded me for free during my contract for 100Mb. I have called to try and get them to negotiate a lower cost for my now, rolling 30 day ontract but they insist that I cannot get 200Mb elsewhere.

There are 4 of us, who stream and download quite a bit and currently friday 6.30pm I am getting 214Mb/s -though we are not always using during peak. We don't use a landline , or have a tv package either.

Should I be looking for a better offer in your opinion, since this is what they are offering new customers and i have been with them for 2-3 years now.

Sorry, I think I misread your original post. £25 for 200Mbs is actually good, given your usage I wouldn't bother trying to downgrade just to save a couple of quid.