Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Our new Broadband Haggling guide - please share your feedback

18910111214»

Replies

• edited 26 September at 7:56PM
    johnbhoy70johnbhoy70 Forumite
    179 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 September at 7:56PM
    JohnReese said:
    Currently on Fibre with Halo 1 till and BT Sport till 30th November. Pay £25.43 for broadband and £17.12 so £42.55 per month.
    Nearly forgot we've got digital voice on there too and unlimited weekend calls but like a lot of people don'y really use our landline these days.
    Get garbage speeds as unfortunately miles away from exchange and also a good distance from local box too and our minimum guaranteed speed is only 16meg.

Gave them a call today to see what they could do going forward as contract nearly up and cable also now laid for FTTP.

I've been offered their Entertainment package which includes Netflix and NOW TV at £15 per month. It's actually on their site at £6 per month but it's an extra £9 to get multiscreen for both in HD. 

Broadband they can do Full Fibre 100 with speeds up to 150 and guarantee of 100 meg for £29.99 per month. 

Guy said they could do TV side with first 6 months free and broadband with first month free. He said, of course, it was a take it now or leave it deal and i may not get offer later. Fair enough.

So monthly cost over the 24 month contract would be £39.99 for Fibre 100 with BT TV which includes multiscreen for Netflix and NOW TV. 

I'm quite happy to drop BT Sport as i can get it elsewhere but wondering what people thought of above offer?

The main con i can see is that i'm losing the flexibility of Netflix and NOW TV contracts and tying myself in for 24 months. I'm aware that the price will go up next April but personally i've always found that a crazy argument as most providers will hit you with an inflation + 3.9% rise then.

Firstly, definitely go for Full Fibre whoever you go with. It's going to give you a much more reliable line with consistent speeds of what you pay for.

I think the only thing is you'd need to consider:
    1. 24 months is a long time which means less flexibility which you mentioned.
    2. When you factor in the inflation increases, then the cost goes up quite a bit. And that is going to happen twice with the second increase based on a higher price (since the £39.99 would have already increased to a higher price).
    3. You might actually potentially be better off subscribing to NOW TV and Netflix separately. Some have mentioned here that NOW sometimes do various offers and retention deals. Netflix you could subscribe on a rolling basis.
    4. There are more and more Full Fibre (FTTP) broadband providers offering FIXED prices for the entire contract length. And shorter contract lengths (e.g. 30 day rolling, 12 months, 18 months). 

Thus:

When you take into account Factor number (2), then opting for a Fixed Price broadband provider and subscribing to NOW TV and Netflix separately, might work out more cost effective and certainly give you more flexibility. The Broadband providers would be using the same Openreach FTTP lines. 

The only thing is BT TV gives you the advantage of having NOW on your TV guide and recording capability. And from what I understand, Freeview channels can be received via the Internet now instead of the Aerial.  
    JohnReese said:
    Currently on Fibre with Halo 1 till and BT Sport till 30th November. Pay £25.43 for broadband and £17.12 so £42.55 per month.
    Nearly forgot we've got digital voice on there too and unlimited weekend calls but like a lot of people don'y really use our landline these days.
    Get garbage speeds as unfortunately miles away from exchange and also a good distance from local box too and our minimum guaranteed speed is only 16meg.

Gave them a call today to see what they could do going forward as contract nearly up and cable also now laid for FTTP.

I've been offered their Entertainment package which includes Netflix and NOW TV at £15 per month. It's actually on their site at £6 per month but it's an extra £9 to get multiscreen for both in HD. 

Broadband they can do Full Fibre 100 with speeds up to 150 and guarantee of 100 meg for £29.99 per month. 

Guy said they could do TV side with first 6 months free and broadband with first month free. He said, of course, it was a take it now or leave it deal and i may not get offer later. Fair enough.

So monthly cost over the 24 month contract would be £39.99 for Fibre 100 with BT TV which includes multiscreen for Netflix and NOW TV. 

I'm quite happy to drop BT Sport as i can get it elsewhere but wondering what people thought of above offer?

The main con i can see is that i'm losing the flexibility of Netflix and NOW TV contracts and tying myself in for 24 months. I'm aware that the price will go up next April but personally i've always found that a crazy argument as most providers will hit you with an inflation + 3.9% rise then.

Firstly, definitely go for Full Fibre whoever you go with. It's going to give you a much more reliable line with consistent speeds of what you pay for.

2. When you factor in the inflation increases, then the cost goes up quite a bit. And that is going to happen twice with the second increase based on a higher price (since the £39.99 would have already increased to a higher price).
    3. You might actually potentially be better off subscribing to NOW TV and Netflix separately. Some have mentioned here that NOW sometimes do various offers and retention deals. Netflix you could subscribe on a rolling basis.
    4. There are more and more Full Fibre (FTTP) broadband providers offering FIXED prices for the entire contract length. And shorter contract lengths (e.g. 30 day rolling, 12 months, 18 months). 

Thus:

When you take into account Factor number (2), then opting for a Fixed Price broadband provider and subscribing to NOW TV and Netflix separately, might work out more cost effective and certainly give you more flexibility. The Broadband providers would be using the same Openreach FTTP lines. 

The only thing is BT TV gives you the advantage of having NOW on your TV guide and recording capability. And from what I understand, Freeview channels can be received via the Internet now instead of the Aerial.  
    Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time out to respond. Quite a few things there that give food for though.

From month 7 when i'm paying £44.99 that could see a potential increase of approx £7 at 15% increase. Possibly same again following year depending on inflation. Wasn't aware that providers were offering Fixed price offers going forward. Something that definitely needs looked at. 

I've been with Netflix and NOW TV for years so understand how they roll. Netflix is non negotiable as far as i'm aware but i've always had deals with NOW but recently cancelled their package because i resent paying £5 for advert free TV and will wait and see if they come back with any offers.

I've been with BT for quite a while now, possibly best part of 10 years. I've threatened to leave them many times and actually got several hundred quid back off them over the years due to connection problems and issues and them not meeting mimimum speed guarantee. Was a bit of hassle but stuck with it all the way up to Executive Level and got there in the end. Loads of engineer visits could not find the issue. However, they've always managed to keep me with pretty heavily discounted packages on renewal. 

Their Halo packages are a gimmick as far as i'm concerned however i know i don't pay a lot for it and also it protects my broadband price at least till price rises next year. I know my broadband won't increase at the end of current contract.

Will definitely be going ahead with some sort of FTTP as we'll notice a big difference in this household. 

My contract also finishes within days of Black Friday and also wondered if that might be worth hanging on for.

Thanks again
  • JohnReeseJohnReese Forumite
    35 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    JohnReese said:

Thus:

JohnReese said:

Thus:

Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time out to respond. Quite a few things there that give food for though.

From month 7 when i'm paying £44.99 that could see a potential increase of approx £7 at 15% increase. Possibly same again following year depending on inflation. Wasn't aware that providers were offering Fixed price offers going forward. Something that definitely needs looked at. 

I've been with Netflix and NOW TV for years so understand how they roll. Netflix is non negotiable as far as i'm aware but i've always had deals with NOW but recently cancelled their package because i resent paying £5 for advert free TV and will wait and see if they come back with any offers.

I've been with BT for quite a while now, possibly best part of 10 years. I've threatened to leave them many times and actually got several hundred quid back off them over the years due to connection problems and issues and them not meeting mimimum speed guarantee. Was a bit of hassle but stuck with it all the way up to Executive Level and got there in the end. Loads of engineer visits could not find the issue. However, they've always managed to keep me with pretty heavily discounted packages on renewal. 

Their Halo packages are a gimmick as far as i'm concerned however i know i don't pay a lot for it and also it protects my broadband price at least till price rises next year. I know my broadband won't increase at the end of current contract.

Will definitely be going ahead with some sort of FTTP as we'll notice a big difference in this household. 

My contract also finishes within days of Black Friday and also wondered if that might be worth hanging on for.

Thanks again
    You are most welcome. 

Yes, so with Broadband providers who don't fix prices throughout the contract, then from March/April, there would be an increase. In the case of BT, it will be by the CPI amount plus 3.9%. So if the official CPI rate was 15%, it will be an increase of 18.9% on the starting amount. If the starting price was £44.99, then the price would go up to £53.49 a month. The following year (the second 12 months of the 24 month contract), the price increase would be based on the CPI rate at that time plus 3.9%, but this time be applied to the £53.49. If the CPI rate happened to be zero, there would still be an increase of 3.9% with BT each year. 

Fixed price providers prices would remain static and if you're on a shorter contract, or 30 day rolling, then of course you have the flexibility to change at any time if there are any offers that come up from across the industry. Generally speaking and all other things being equal, the wholesale cost of broadband has been going down. For example the price for FTTP 900Mbps products at BT from 2-3 years ago were much higher than they are today for a new customer. Customers who signed up then will still be locked in at the higher price and have been subjected to the price increase! Whereas with a Fixed price provider, there'd be no change and more often than not, you can change much sooner, or even at any time. 

Another potential scenario in terms of flexibility is this. If another FTTP wholesale provider (e.g. CityFibre) happens to build another Fibre line to properties and ISPs who use their network offer cheaper FTTP prices than Openreach, then if you had a shorter contract, you can switch to them. 

Spot on about Netflix. It would be a fixed price, but you'd have 30 day rolling doing it separately. As for NOW, some people mention here that when they cancel (or even during the cancellation process), they get offers at low prices, and again you get 30 day rolling. 

I think with Full Fibre (FTTP), the speed should be consistent with what you pay for and will be (all other things being equal) identical with whoever Openreach provider you go for. What you'll be choosing is Customer Service, Price, Contract length etc. 

Totally agreed on the Halo package being somewhat of a gimmick. Thing is, they lock in the price from years back when the wholesale cost was higher. For instance, I vaguely remember the BT 900Mbps price being advertised at something close to £80 a month a few years back (and that was on a "Sale offer"). Such a person would have ended up being hit with price increases every year and be paying way more than that now if still in contract. The rough price for such a product today across the providers ranges between £49-55 a month. With at least a few providers doing 30 day rolling contracts and fixed prices!

Finally, a lot of the "Fixed price" provider packages or certainly the 30 day rolling contracts do mean that their existing customers always pay the same price as a new customer. Definitely worth signing up if there's a Black Friday offer - in particular for the TV packages. 

You're welcome and all the best!

• johnbhoy70johnbhoy70 Forumite
    179 Posts
    Forumite
    JohnReese said:
    JohnReese said:

Thus:

JohnReese said:

Thus:

Thanks again
    You are most welcome. 

Yes, so with Broadband providers who don't fix prices throughout the contract, then from March/April, there would be an increase. In the case of BT, it will be by the CPI amount plus 3.9%. So if the official CPI rate was 15%, it will be an increase of 18.9% on the starting amount. If the starting price was £44.99, then the price would go up to £53.49 a month. The following year (the second 12 months of the 24 month contract), the price increase would be based on the CPI rate at that time plus 3.9%, but this time be applied to the £53.49. If the CPI rate happened to be zero, there would still be an increase of 3.9% with BT each year. 

Fixed price providers prices would remain static and if you're on a shorter contract, or 30 day rolling, then of course you have the flexibility to change at any time if there are any offers that come up from across the industry. Generally speaking and all other things being equal, the wholesale cost of broadband has been going down. For example the price for FTTP 900Mbps products at BT from 2-3 years ago were much higher than they are today for a new customer. Customers who signed up then will still be locked in at the higher price and have been subjected to the price increase! Whereas with a Fixed price provider, there'd be no change and more often than not, you can change much sooner, or even at any time. 

Another potential scenario in terms of flexibility is this. If another FTTP wholesale provider (e.g. CityFibre) happens to build another Fibre line to properties and ISPs who use their network offer cheaper FTTP prices than Openreach, then if you had a shorter contract, you can switch to them. 

Spot on about Netflix. It would be a fixed price, but you'd have 30 day rolling doing it separately. As for NOW, some people mention here that when they cancel (or even during the cancellation process), they get offers at low prices, and again you get 30 day rolling. 

I think with Full Fibre (FTTP), the speed should be consistent with what you pay for and will be (all other things being equal) identical with whoever Openreach provider you go for. What you'll be choosing is Customer Service, Price, Contract length etc. 

Totally agreed on the Halo package being somewhat of a gimmick. Thing is, they lock in the price from years back when the wholesale cost was higher. For instance, I vaguely remember the BT 900Mbps price being advertised at something close to £80 a month a few years back (and that was on a "Sale offer"). Such a person would have ended up being hit with price increases every year and be paying way more than that now if still in contract. The rough price for such a product today across the providers ranges between £49-55 a month. With at least a few providers doing 30 day rolling contracts and fixed prices!

Finally, a lot of the "Fixed price" provider packages or certainly the 30 day rolling contracts do mean that their existing customers always pay the same price as a new customer. Definitely worth signing up if there's a Black Friday offer - in particular for the TV packages. 

Again thanks for the info. I've plenty  here to take on board.

Agree with all you've said there. Worth taking note that a £45 deal just now could easily touch or pass £60 a year in April depending on inflation. Let's hope not or that will be the least of our worries i would think.

Wasn't aware of what you said with regards to the FTTP market. I'm pretty out of touch there but to be fair to me they've only laid the cable here a few months ago so the info you've given gives me more ammo going forward.

Kind regards.
  • southsidergssouthsidergs Forumite
    171 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JohnReese said:
    JohnReese said:

Thus:

JohnReese said:

Thus:

Thanks again
    You are most welcome. 

Agree with all you've said there. Worth taking note that a £45 deal just now could easily touch or pass £60 a year in April depending on inflation. Let's hope not or that will be the least of our worries i would think.

Wasn't aware of what you said with regards to the FTTP market. I'm pretty out of touch there but to be fair to me they've only laid the cable here a few months ago so the info you've given gives me more ammo going forward.

Kind regards.
    Wasn't aware of inflation getting close to 30% a month which it would need to for a £45 package to go up almost £15, yes it's high but scaremongering like that is not needed!!
    179 Posts
    Forumite
    JohnReese said:
    JohnReese said:

Thus:

JohnReese said:

Thus:

Thanks again
    You are most welcome. 

Kind regards.
    Wasn't aware of inflation getting close to 30% a month which it would need to for a £45 package to go up almost £15, yes it's high but scaremongering like that is not needed!!
    A year in April which by my reckoning is 2 price rises and is entirely possible ''if'' inflation stays as high like i stated. That's not scaremongering. That's a fact and if you go into a 24 month contract it shpuld be considered!!
  • JohnReeseJohnReese Forumite
    35 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    JohnReese said:
    JohnReese said:

Thus:

JohnReese said:

Thus:

Thanks again
    You are most welcome. 

Kind regards.
    Definitely worth taking note of that yes! You're welcome!
  • southsidergssouthsidergs Forumite
    171 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JohnReese said:
    JohnReese said:

Thus:

JohnReese said:

Thus:

Thanks again
    You are most welcome. 

Kind regards.
    A year in April which by my reckoning is 2 price rises and is entirely possible ''if'' inflation stays as high like i stated. That's not scaremongering. That's a fact and if you go into a 24 month contract it shpuld be considered!!
    So why not say April 2024, the original post wasn't very clear!
    179 Posts
    Forumite
    JohnReese said:
    JohnReese said:

Thus:

JohnReese said:

Thus:

Thanks again
    You are most welcome. 

Kind regards.
    So why not say April 2024, the original post wasn't very clear!
    Clear enough! Obviously not for you though. Just give it a rest,ehh!!