PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Are investment buyers good?

Hi all,

We have an offer under asking price from FTBs and we're now anticipating an offer from an investment buyer. We also have a viewing tomorrow who are FTBs I believe.

Are investment buyers good or bad news? More proceedable? More likely to walk away mid transaction?

Trying to weigh up the pros and cons.

Thanks!

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would think that an investment buyer would try to get the property for as low a price as possible because it's just business. I know that people buying the property to live in are also looking for the best possible price but you tend to be more emotionally invested if it's going to be your home so might be willing to pay a bit more than an investor.

Investors also don't need to buy that property, they already have somewhere to live so they could potentially try to gazunder you.

FTB can be nervous though and it might take longer to sort out a mortgage.
  • Thanks Pixie,

Ive just heard we have another viewing tomo, cash buyers who have already sold their property. That would obviously be the most ideal scenario!

Tbh were close to losing the house we want and our floor price (OIEO) provides us with more than enough equity to refurb the new house. If we had more time Id wait for a higher offer but as long as we clear our floor then anything else is a bonus!
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Uniform Washer Debt-free and Proud!
    Investment buyers can often move quicker but will pull out if a mouse farts.

If I had 2 equal offers I'd choose someone who was going to live in the house every single time.
  • Thank you Daerve, appreciate your help. Tricky one if the investor offers more than our FTBs... They've hit their ceiling too so I'm concerned their mortgage may not go through if they've maxxed on affordability.

Prob worrying too much tbh!
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Cash buyers are probably more likely to gazunder than any other type of buyer.
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Both have reasons that they might be flakey - as do almost all buyers - and predicting in advance which might hit is really hard.

Neither (presumably) have chain risk, which helps massively on the timescales, and that's about all you know.
  • Is there a way of protecting ourselves from being gazundered?
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    I've been a FTB....and an investment buyer.

I tend to feel that the FTB can be a little more picky or jumpy about the transaction,particularly the searches and surveys,possibly because they are inexperienced in buying.
    They are more likely to want to challenge survey findings which could sometimes stall the process.
    On the other hand as an investor I'm looking for a property that will provide an income and sometimes the need to replace windows/kitchen or bathroom for example doesnt phase me in the slightest.

It really boils down to personal preference over who you wish to sell to...
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Daerve
    Thank you Daerve, appreciate your help. Tricky one if the investor offers more than our FTBs... They've hit their ceiling too so I'm concerned their mortgage may not go through if they've maxxed on affordability.

Prob worrying too much tbh!

We originally had an offer for ours from an investor, we then found somewhere and had an offer accepted on our dream house. Our buyer suddenly decided he didn't fancy it anymore and pulled out.

We were then in the position of either dropping the price for a quick sale to secure our dream house or waiting and possibly losing our purchase. In the end we chose the former and lost out on 5 grand.

The point is, if you choose the investor you may indeed be looking at an extra few grand but you may equally end up losing money like we did by taking a higher offer.

An investor will think nothing of walking away or lowering their offer when it suits.
  • Daerve
    Is there a way of protecting ourselves from being gazundered?

No, none at all I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport