Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

60 soon what can I expect?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
43 replies 13.4K views
annabel14annabel14 Forumite
163 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
My birthday is in a few days..the great 60.....:j

I was quite happy until I received a letter cancelling my private health insurance.....the letter stated I knew they only covered 18-60 ,( which I didn't), however it's left me wondering what else changes now?

The health insurance was a real stretch to afford so I suppose I am saving there and think I get free nhs per scripts and so on now? Can any kind soul fill me in please?

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you get the free prescriptions and free NHS sight tests, but most other 'stuff' has to wait until you reach state pension age. Sorry about that!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • annabel14annabel14 Forumite
    163 Posts
    Thanks sue at least that's something positive!
  • HappychappyHappychappy Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    annabel14 wrote: »
    My birthday is in a few days..the great 60.....:j

I was quite happy until I received a letter cancelling my private health insurance.....the letter stated I knew they only covered 18-60 ,( which I didn't), however it's left me wondering what else changes now?

The health insurance was a real stretch to afford so I suppose I am saving there and think I get free nhs per scripts and so on now? Can any kind soul fill me in please?

Hi Annabel, I also have six days to go and was sweating on the age for free prescription charges being moved up to pensionable age, unfortunately our local labour crowd removed the bus pass and reduced further education fees, so the only thing to look forward to is getting ill and having free medicine :cool: doesn't have much a ring to it, but happy birthday for when it arrives :beer: oh that reminds me, membership of CAMRA is cheaper at 60, so you can sit in Weatherspoons with the fully professional benefit claimants in the knowledge your beer is cheaper, well at least until the vouchers run out :(
  • fussypensionerfussypensioner Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Annabel, I also have six days to go and was sweating on the age for free prescription charges being moved up to pensionable age, unfortunately our local labour crowd removed the bus pass and reduced further education fees, so the only thing to look forward to is getting ill and having free medicine :cool: doesn't have much a ring to it, but happy birthday for when it arrives :beer: oh that reminds me, membership of CAMRA is cheaper at 60, so you can sit in Weatherspoons with the fully professional benefit claimants in the knowledge your beer is cheaper, well at least until the vouchers run out :(

I'm surprised about the free bus pass being removed, I thought this was applicable nationwide for any person of retirement age. I have moved to a different county now and still able to use my bus pass.

Anyway 60 is the new 40 enjoy life while you can!

_party_
    Holding back the years...
  • annabel14annabel14 Forumite
    163 Posts
    And a happy birthday to you to happy chappy:beer:.....not a beer drinker myself but I will drink a tot of rum to us both:)

They have moved retirement for me to 65 so then I can be sick and have a bus pass to get to docs as well.......happy days indeed.....

don't forget another poster mentioned a free eye test for 60 and over.....heck ..probably they forgot to change the bar on that one .....:j
  • zygurat789zygurat789 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    annabel14 wrote: »
    Thanks sue at least that's something positive!

I'm sorry I have to disagree with that, it is typical of the Greek school of thought where everybody is entitled to everything so long as someone else pays.
    I just don't see why anyone who is of working age should be entitled to anything just because they reach an arbitrary age which appears, in the case of bus passes, to differ all over the country.
    The whole situation is a bureaucratic nightmare dreamt up by civil service mandarins to keep themselves in a job. what is required is automatic index linking by tying all such things into the State Pension Age; clear, concise, fair and simple to understand Too much for a politician.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised about the free bus pass being removed, I thought this was applicable nationwide for any person of retirement age.

But 60 is no longer (state) "retirement age".

Items like (most) bus passes, Winter fuel Payment etc are given when people reach the State Pension Age for women (whether you are male or female) which is currently around age 62 1/2, and rising.
  • jblessingjblessing Forumite
    145 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    At age 60 you also get a bowel cancer screening kit!
  • PennyForThem_2PennyForThem_2 Forumite
    709 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    jblessing wrote: »
    At age 60 you also get a bowel cancer screening kit!

And please, please use it. It can save your life and pick up a bowel cancer which is easy to treat and cure you.

Yes, not pleasant, but better than dying.
This discussion has been closed.