IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ParkingEye v Beavis at the Supreme Court: What’s Happening This Week

Options

Comments

• Shell2015
    Shell2015 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    I've suggested it, whether they pick it up and run with it is of course up to them!

Worth a try, sometimes you can overlook little things :) at this point every little helps.
  • carandbike
    carandbike Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    rdr wrote: »
    5-10 mins if I dawdle to the station same to rest of the city centre, I'd walk that to save £5 a day out of taxed income if I had to commute. My point being that if the choice is £5 in the various carparks or 0 in an unregulated Riverside, I know what I and many others would choose.

Not that current system is right - as I have said many times.

We are broadly in agreement.
    I have never proposed unlimited parking at Riverside. I shop there and appreciate being able to park there.
    What I do not appreciate is being charged £85 for the the "pleasure" of spending the same amount in the shops and food outlets on site, but taking slightly longer than an imposed time limit that is designed to be overstayed.
    :beer:
  • regbrown
    regbrown Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I have no vested interest, I just think we need to take responsibility for our actions.

if its clear its a limit and we go over, no one else's fault but ours.

if its not clear, is minutes over, or is stupid amount of money, that is a different matter.
  • JonnyRotten
    Options
    Full video of the proceedings at this link - https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2015-0116.html

Quite frankly a good few viewing hours, so well worth it. Nice to see their Lordships processes and John de Waal QC in action. You would think that by now the written material would be presentable by IT in order to stop the waste of time as everyone has to grab their briefing pack and flick through to get to the right place?

I still cannot find out if the Retailers pay, as part of their rental for Retail Park Units, a charge that covers parking provision. In other words, are the landowners already being paid for car-parking and therefore could the management schemes actually be fraudulent? Do any of the expertionadeos or anyone who has asked this question of any Retailers know the answer?

Nice to not feel so JonnyRotten this evening, good luck to us all.
    Hopefully, their Lordships will solve this dreadful state of affairs for all parties, but especially for the millions of motorists who have yet to fall foul of these pernicious signage contracts!
  • Grandad123
    Grandad123 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    The fines are not only imposed for overstays but also for non transgressors
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Grandad123 wrote: »
    The fines are not only imposed for overstays but also for non transgressors

except they are not FINES !

speculative invoices - yes

FINES ? - no

Penalties ? - no

hopefully when their lordships rule, the situation will be clarified, in law, for all of the UK
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options

I still cannot find out if the Retailers pay, as part of their rental for Retail Park Units, a charge that covers parking provision. In other words, are the landowners already being paid for car-parking and therefore could the management schemes actually be fraudulent?

Even if the landowners were paid by the retailers and also by PE I don't see why it would matter to the consumer contract which is totally seperate.
  • atilla
    atilla Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    regbrown wrote: »
    I have no vested interest, I just think we need to take responsibility for our actions.

if its not clear, is minutes over, or is stupid amount of money, that is a different matter.
    But just consider why all this fuss came about. It now seems it wasn't the direct actions of a shopper.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 July 2015 at 11:49PM
    Options
    Just to re-fresh, from what i understand Mr Beavis went to Staples for some supplies and to get some posters printed. Unfortunately one of the printing machines suffered a technical issues and the printing took a lot longer than expected - hence the overstay in the car park.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    regbrown wrote: »

but if he (or you) were delayed due to a printing machine failure in staples , making you wait for your order until after it was fixed, then is it your fault for "going over" through no fault of your own, plus not being able to pay for extra time as there were no payment machines, plus the sign says "no return" within say 1 (or 2) hours !!

sometimes it not as clear cut as you would like , but the punishments remain roughly the same even if it was a supermarket like lidl or morrissons and there were queues at the checkout or the tills fail !

their lordships did ponder this aspect as to what the charges were on supermarkets etc, J Kirk didnt want to answer so refrained from doing so

in fact he seemed to squirm on several occasions, as if he had to defend the indefensible but didnt want to say it and undermine his clients

he also did say when questioned that he knew what the "overstay" limit that was allowed actually was, but decided to refrain from telling their lordships what that figure actually was (we have seen many complaints on this forum about a pcn for a few minutes overstay on car parks)

plus the fact the cameras dont monitor actual parking times, just time "on site", they dont actually manage the parking at all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure