Tax credit calculators for new budget 2016/17

Options

Comments

• bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    And people think this is a good thing for a civilized society.....

It's trying to undo the mess that tax credits created. Most people decide if they can afford children and all it entails, not popping them out then staying at home. (Mrs 5 kids with Mr 5 kids working part time).
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • sxcizme3010
    sxcizme3010 Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bloolagoon wrote: »
    It's trying to undo the mess that tax credits created. Most people decide if they can afford children and all it entails, not popping them out then staying at home. (Mrs 5 kids with Mr 5 kids working part time).

And how many people do this? how many people have 5 kids and stay at home whilst mr works part time?
  • bloolagoon
    Options
    And how many people do this? how many people have 5 kids and stay at home whilst mr works part time?

Families with more than 3 children - 85% of people with more than 3 claim TC. The average payment is 9k. There are many thousands of them.
  • sxcizme3010
    Options
    Families with more than 3 children - 85% of people with more than 3 claim TC. The average payment is 9k. There are many thousands of them.

I really cant see people having 3+ children and then only 1 person earning a part time wage. Yes they may claim TC but they may be claiming TC due to both being in low or part time employment. Iv just looked on the ONS and more women and men work who have dependent children than men and women who don't. Also in 1996 (pre tax credits) there was over 20% of households out of work and post 2001 (tax credits implemented) that figure came down so it incentivised people to work. I'm not saying that there isnt a minority of people who do just sit at home and be lazy, drinking etc and blaming health problems but this is a minority. Social security is exactly that social security - you pay into a pot and if you fall on hard times its a safety net. I don't begrudge anybody benefits paid for by the public through general taxation and I believe those who don't work and blame health problems etc should get the proper support to get them back on their feet.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    and how many people do this? How many people have 5 kids and stay at home whilst mr works part time?

the problem is the sheer number of families that are entitled to tax credits.
    They are overly generous and enable people to make choices that arent available to families with higher incomes.
    The major issue is the impact ithey have had on wages. Employers have allowed wages too drop , safe in the knowledge that the system will pick up the slack.
    It will take time for this to be addressed, but the system couldnt keep growing year upon year.
  • nannytone_2
    edited 30 July 2015 at 9:07PM
    Options
    i really cant see people having 3+ children and then only 1 person earning a part time wage. Yes they may claim tc but they may be claiming tc due to both being in low or part time employment. Iv just looked on the ons and more women and men work who have dependent children than men and women who don't. Also in 1996 (pre tax credits) there was over 20% of households out of work and post 2001 (tax credits implemented) that figure came down so it incentivised people to work. I'm not saying that there isnt a minority of people who do just sit at home and be lazy, drinking etc and blaming health problems but this is a minority. Social security is exactly that social security - you pay into a pot and if you fall on hard times its a safety net. I don't begrudge anybody benefits paid for by the public through general taxation and i believe those who don't work and blame health problems etc should get the proper support to get them back on their feet.

they obviously claim due to being in low paid or part time work.
    The issue is that people who really cant afford to have more children based on their own earning ability, felt safe to have as many as they wished in the knowledge that tax credits would take up the slck.
    It isnt the job of the state to pay for peoples choices... But that is how it became.
    PEOPLE DONT CLAIM YAX CREDITS BECAUSE THEY FALL ON HARD TIMES IN THE MAIN.
    THEY CLAIM BECAUSE OF LOW INCOME AND THEN CHOOSE TO CONTINUE HAVING THE FAMILIES THEY WANTS WHILST ALREADY CLAIMING TAX CREDITS.
    PEOPLE THAT DONT QUALIFY OFTEN COME ON HERE IN SHICK THAT THEY ARENT GETTING EXTRA MONEY TO HELP WITH THE COST OF THEIR BABY... IT IS SUCH A 'NORM' THAT PEOPLE EXPECT TO BE 'PAID' TO HAVE CHILDREN.
  • bloolagoon
    Options
    I really cant see people having 3+ children and then only 1 person earning a part time wage. Yes they may claim TC but they may be claiming TC due to both being in low or part time employment. Iv just looked on the ONS and more women and men work who have dependent children than men and women who don't. Also in 1996 (pre tax credits) there was over 20% of households out of work and post 2001 (tax credits implemented) that figure came down so it incentivised people to work. I'm not saying that there isnt a minority of people who do just sit at home and be lazy, drinking etc and blaming health problems but this is a minority. Social security is exactly that social security - you pay into a pot and if you fall on hard times its a safety net. I don't begrudge anybody benefits paid for by the public through general taxation and I believe those who don't work and blame health problems etc should get the proper support to get them back on their feet.

Of course they could afford them when they had them - they always do. Makes you wonder why the TC bill is so high.

TC bribed people to work giving thousands tax free of they worked (16 hours per couple). It's sad people need bribed to work and feed their children but they did. Except then they said they needed higher "wages" due to poverty - cue rises.

Now you have no difference between low paid and Middle paid with people on benefits TC are benefits - using them for overseas holidays, pension payments to get more benefits, a huge proportion of part time workers, over payments of mortgages, fancy cars.

Add they cut everyone above when you happily kicked them for earning more its little suprise its popular.
  • sxcizme3010
    Options
    Of course they could afford them when they had them - they always do. Makes you wonder why the TC bill is so high.

TC bribed people to work giving thousands tax free of they worked (16 hours per couple). It's sad people need bribed to work and feed their children but they did. Except then they said they needed higher "wages" due to poverty - cue rises.

Now you have no difference between low paid and Middle paid with people on benefits TC are benefits - using them for overseas holidays, pension payments to get more benefits, a huge proportion of part time workers, over payments of mortgages, fancy cars.

Add they cut everyone above when you happily kicked them for earning more its little suprise its popular.

Tax credits are all about closing the gap of inequality. By this logical above - basically if you are low paid or part time (for whatever reason) you don't deserve things like a car or owning your own home. The gap between middle income and people on benefits (2+2) is still significantly wide - the only people who get lots in benefits are big families who also rent. Average families who receive the TC don't have the same lifestyles as middle income earners. I don't think it is popular to be honest well 3 million families will disagree. Keeping the low paid poor wont help the country or economy - Its a false economy and in 10-15 years time we will see the effect that it has on society. You cant cut your way out of debt - cutting peoples TC will stop them spending and halt the growth 0.7 we have seen.
  • Yankee1971
    Yankee1971 Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2015 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Hi, I am a single parent to 2 children under 16, work 20 hours a week and earn £9329 a year.
    My combined monthly WTC and CTC is £676.06.
    For 2015-2016, my annual WTC is £2782.07, CTC is £6108.54.
    I would be most grateful if someone could tell me what I might expect to receive for 2016-2017. I do not envisage that my salary will increase.
    Many thanks.
    PS - this is my first posting, so still learning.
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    Tax credits are all about closing the gap of inequality. By this logical above - basically if you are low paid or part time (for whatever reason) you don't deserve things like a car or owning your own home. The gap between middle income and people on benefits (2+2) is still significantly wide - the only people who get lots in benefits are big families who also rent. Average families who receive the TC don't have the same lifestyles as middle income earners. I don't think it is popular to be honest well 3 million families will disagree. Keeping the low paid poor wont help the country or economy - Its a false economy and in 10-15 years time we will see the effect that it has on society. You cant cut your way out of debt - cutting peoples TC will stop them spending and halt the growth 0.7 we have seen.

youre showing your age. it has nothing to do with inequality.
    do you honestly think that a low earner'part time worker should expect the same standard of living as a middle high earner?
    no one DESERVES a car or to own their own home.
    they can have what they can afford.
    that is how the world works.
    if you can afford it, you buy it and if you can't you don't.

i can't believe you think the state should pay for the things people want if they don't earn enough to get them for themselves ;)

benefits are paid to maintain MINIMUM standards and not provide a lifestyle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport