🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tax credit calculators for new budget 2016/17

Options

Comments

• KenAdams2015
    Options
    Spreadsheet would be very useful;)

I would def use!
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bloolagoon wrote: »
    He could go with Frank fields suggestion

He could, but he won't. The marginal effective taxation for those over £13k was too high on that proposal to sit right with a supposed "making work pay" philosophy. It would protect the most vulnerable though if I understood it correctly.
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    staffsuk wrote: »
    I can't see them bringing forward the transition to UC - it's already a mess and can still only deal with fairly simple cases. UC is nowhere near ready for the huge number & diversity of claimants.

Of more concern is the frankly awful possibility that Blondebubbles might be in a position to do all of those calculations again if GO comes up with some other weird equation!!!!

I can't see them moving working families over to Universal Credit, especially not existing claimants any time soon.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. Whilst HM Treasury/GO might want to, the DWP/IDS will tell him that UC IT systems just couldn't deal with that anytime soon.

They're having enough problems with fewer than 100,000 Claims and systems failing for the self-employed reporting earnings and so on.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I can't see them bringing forward the transition to UC - it's already a mess and can still only deal with fairly simple cases. UC is nowhere near ready for the huge number & diversity of claimants.
    The UC calculation of entitlement is straightforwards, it's the interactions with RTI etc that are causing the problems - the issue is they don't want it to be like tax credits with claimants having to tell them every time their income changes and disregards to cater for delays etc, they want it to be automatic, like PAYE, where changes in income automatically adjust claims like happens with PAYE.

What I meant above was some sort of simple calculation based on circumstances at renewal and only do it annually - for instance, based on eg family of 4, £11k income, would get £850 more under UC. Easy calc. That £850 is added to the elements of their award the next year. Then reviewed the following year.
    Of more concern is the frankly awful possibility that Blondebubbles might be in a position to do all of those calculations again if GO comes up with some other weird equation!!!!
    Well exactly! It's depressing how so many people don't seem to able to simple maths even after you give them the rules!
  • staffsuk
    staffsuk Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    The UC calculation of entitlement is straightforwards, it's the interactions with RTI etc that are causing the problems - the issue is they don't want it to be like tax credits with claimants having to tell them every time their income changes and disregards to cater for delays etc, they want it to be automatic, like PAYE, where changes in income automatically adjust claims like happens with PAYE.

What I meant above was some sort of simple calculation based on circumstances at renewal and only do it annually - for instance, based on eg family of 4, £11k income, would get £850 more under UC. Easy calc. That £850 is added to the elements of their award the next year. Then reviewed the following year. Well exactly! It's depressing how so many people don't seem to able to simple maths even after you give them the rules!

Then there are the self employed who have to supply a new & different figure every month for the system to cope with...
  • zagfles
    Options
    andrewmp wrote: »
    He could, but he won't. The marginal effective taxation for those over £13k was too high on that proposal to sit right with a supposed "making work pay" philosophy. It would protect the most vulnerable though if I understood it correctly.
    One of the examples raised in the HoL yesterday was of a family with 2 disabled kids losing £3120. Under Frank Field's proposals, they'd lose £4864 !!
  • zagfles
    Options
    Then there are the self employed who have to supply a new & different figure every month for the system to cope with...
    Which is why I said to do it annually, as an interim transitional measure.
  • zagfles
    edited 27 October 2015 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Do you think those with disabilities (adults or children) should be exempt from changes to taper rate and threshold?
    Not necessarily - looking after a disabled 10 year old doesn't necessarily take more time or money than looking after eg a non-disabled toddler, yet the family with the disabled 10 year old will already be getting a lot more than the family with the toddler, through extra tax credits, DLA, carers allowance etc.

Obviously there's politics involved. "Bashing the disabled" headlines don't look good, "exempting them for the cuts" does.
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Options
    George Osborne has just said that the changes to tax credits are NOT going ahead :)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34915218
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family