🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tax credit calculators for new budget 2016/17

Options

Comments

• OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 October 2015 at 4:21PM
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    I do not think many start out that way

Some do start out that way or continue that way, when they have lots more children when they already can't afford the ones they have.
    and you in your ignorance ignore that the low paid are tax payers just like anyone else.

If the fit and healthy are asking for benefits, they are expecting others to keep them. Many people pay taxes and don't ask for benefits to keep their children.

Social security means we have an insurance policy,

Which is temporary help for the healthy. Now we have reached the point where some healthy adults use the welfare state (other people) year after year, to fund their lifestyle choices.

I do not think hardly anyone made a lifestyle choice to be dependent on others, when you fall off the ladder due to ill health or unemployment it is easy to get stuck.

Don't lump those who are disabled and who might not to be able work many hours, in with those who are healthly and could work to support their children, but would rather not. If you lose your job the welfare state is there to give temporary help while you find another job to support your family.
    My advice is that you tell your employer that your Tax credits are being reduced and you need a £2.5k rise, then leave if you have to.

Speaks volumes:(
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    @OhWow it is clear that you have bitter and twisted ideas that just hate people

That is exactly what the Con Gov wants you to do so well done.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My advice is that you tell your employer that your Tax credits are being reduced and you need a £2.5k rise, then leave if you have to.

And he responds rightly that to get that extra, you start increasing your hours so you are paid for working rather than enjoying your free time.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd love to just ask for a pay rise (and get one!) :rotfl:
  • wishies_x
    Options
    I can't believe how ignorant some people are when they haven't been in this situation! I was probably one of them before I had my little ones, I used to dismiss people who 'couldn't afford to work'. If they get their way we will lose well over £200 a month going by the calculations, in fact I don't think we will be entitled to anything! :( I have tried to increase my hours at work but it would make me worse off by the time I have paid petrol, paid more tax and with two children in child care at £9 (£4.50 each) an hour for 9 hours a day it's just not do-able! I kind of agree in theory with what they are trying to do, I hate having to rely on them and would love to work more I actually love love love my job but until minimum wage and wages are pushed up people are really going to struggle!

Anyway.. the point in me posting is .. Has anyone got the link or can anyone point me in the right direction as to what is happening with the childcare element if things go ahead? If I am right and we are going to lose all our CTC will we lose our help with that too? xx
    2017 wins so far: Diddly squat :(
    Make £10 a day in February - £16.05/£280
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Childcare is part of working tax credit.

The cuts affect both WTC and CTC.

If you are currently only getting CTC, then your childcare costs mean you are getting more CTC than you would without them.

Have a look at the table posted above, it will show you your loss.

IQ
  • wishies_x
    Options
    Oh, I thought it was done as two seperate things, thank you :(. Don't suppose you know.. Our payments have shot up this year because I was on maternity last year so some of my salary was not counted. They are now at £490 but before that were due to be around £200ish. This year my salary is going up about £4000 and when I called he said I am still below the threshold so won't have to repay. Obviously my payments will go down in April(whether this happens or not!), when it says maximum loss will be £2,744 (£228 ish a month) would that be from my £490 a month or what my payments would of been around the £200. I hope that makes sense! I'm in such a panic! I'm reading and calculating and I just can't get my head around it! x
  • wishies_x
    Options
    Our joint income in 14/15 - was £22875 with £64.80 a week childcare! In 16/17 it will be £27000. Do you think now it's going ahead they will send us in advance our estimate for next year.. or will we all get a horrible suprise in April? :( It's the not knowing that's the hardest x
  • staffsuk
    staffsuk Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Baroness Meacher's motion to delay the cuts has been backed by peers. This instructs the government to delay the tax credit cuts until it has taken account of an independent analysis of who is going to lose out.

They have also just backed Baroness Hollis' motion. This would delay the reforms until a three-year package of transitional financial help has been agreed upon.

According to Laura Kuenssberg 'Osborne's tax credits can't go ahead as of now unless and until govt goes back with a different plan or he finds way of compensating losers'
  • staffsuk
    staffsuk Posts: 196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Blondebubbles I was thinking about you during these debates!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport