We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jono987 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

I was with stepchange a couple years ago, however i have relapsed with my gambling and run up insane amount of debt for my age :(

Have been really struggling the last couple of weeks just to cope with day to day life. Have spoke to step change again who recommend another DMP, however the thing that worries me is some of the accounts are very recent, for example one loan with Lloyds is only a month old.

Also, i have a tesco loan, which had the interest added on straight away. I.E, i borrowed 14k, and as soon as the account was set up i owed 16k. Does this mean because the interest has already been added, they wont add on anymore while im in my DMP.

Thanks for any help :)

Hi Jono

My first thought on reading your post is that doing (or indeed re-doing) a DMP might only paper over the cracks if you are still suffering with a gambling problem. I would recommend that you discuss this openly with Stepchange if you've not already done so - it will be so much better for you in the long run if you properly tackle the causes, rather than just the symptoms.

I'm sure others have already pointed you towards the likes of Gamblers Anon, and I would strongly echo that suggestion.

Good luck

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • phoenixx
    phoenixx Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I totally agree Puzz. SC got us on the road to managing within a set budget and meeting our DMP commitments - but once we were one year in we went self managed. Best thing we did - we have been paying the full agreed DMP payments, but sometimes life interrupts and we are on token payments to all creditors for a while. No problems - easy to sort out (much easier than if we had to talk to SC and ask for their agreement).

Loving self managed :D

Hellooo January15 - great to catch up on everyone's news and to see how well self-management is going! Have been working crazy hours, hence not been able to check in much. BC finally defaulted after we just didn't pay for a while. They are only creditor we have had to do this with as kept making promises then broke them...We find self-managed great and have had few difficulties. NRAM have now become something called Whistletree - hmmm. I will get on the computer to change sig as debt down to £25000 now. Self managed has meant we can build in a budget for work clothes so no more difficult conversations with my manager about 'tired suits' and 'worn out shoes'.
    Best of wishes
    phoenixx
    DMP since August 2011
    DFD January 2018 hopefully sooner :j
    Debt at start: £98769:eek:
    Debt now: £24993:o
    Paid back: £73776 :j
    Taking it one day at a time:T
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    phoenixx wrote: »
    Hellooo January15 - great to catch up on everyone's news and to see how well self-management is going! Have been working crazy hours, hence not been able to check in much. BC finally defaulted after we just didn't pay for a while. They are only creditor we have had to do this with as kept making promises then broke them...We find self-managed great and have had few difficulties. NRAM have now become something called Whistletree - hmmm. I will get on the computer to change sig as debt down to £25000 now. Self managed has meant we can build in a budget for work clothes so no more difficult conversations with my manager about 'tired suits' and 'worn out shoes'.
    Best of wishes
    phoenixx

Hi Phoenixx

Great to see you back, signature looks great and glad to hear wardrobe issues are a thing of the past. :D

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Evening all

When I get a bit anxious, I try to practice gratefulness, apparently it's grounding. With the turmoil of the news events and also some issues going on at work I have a bit of anxiety, so today I was doing my best to be grateful.

That I have a lovely warm house, (I can't set the central heating timer as its bust), that I have food to eat (my oven's bust too but I'm managing with the microwave and hob). That I could afford to go an get a tea cake and coffee while I was in town (in a very cheap shop).

These things would have been out of reach a few months ago and I'm grateful my life is doing ok at the moment; I could have chosen to increase my debt repayments, but I haven't, right now I'm happier having a longer Dfd and a bit more living freedom.

If your life isn't treating you well right now, I'm sorry for rubbing it in and I wish for you the best outcomes, never give up trying to find the route that works for you.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • braveheart6612
    Options
    Hi just started reading all the posts. I'm on a dmp with SC. Been with them for 15 months but thinking I might go it alone. Total debts are 43k but I have a debt with Avant Credit £1623.They offered me a settlement of 325 I responded with a counter offer of 230 accepyþ
  • braveheart6612
    Options
    they accepted but see if my other debts are part settled does it remain for 6 years from the date of the settlement
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 10 November 2016 at 9:41AM
    Options
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    Evening all

When I get a bit anxious, I try to practice gratefulness, apparently it's grounding. With the turmoil of the news events and also some issues going on at work I have a bit of anxiety, so today I was doing my best to be grateful.

That I have a lovely warm house, (I can't set the central heating timer as its bust), that I have food to eat (my oven's bust too but I'm managing with the microwave and hob). That I could afford to go an get a tea cake and coffee while I was in town (in a very cheap shop).

These things would have been out of reach a few months ago and I'm grateful my life is doing ok at the moment; I could have chosen to increase my debt repayments, but I haven't, right now I'm happier having a longer Dfd and a bit more living freedom.

If your life isn't treating you well right now, I'm sorry for rubbing it in and I wish for you the best outcomes, never give up trying to find the route that works for you.

Saz

Really sorry you have been feeling anxious lately. Sounds like the causes were things outside your personal control. They are often the worst kind:(. Please try to not to worry too much though. You have so much going for you now and we are all rooting for you too. Your presence on this thread giving unfailing help,encouragement and inspiration to everyone is a blessing to us all:kisses3:

You said so much sense in your post, especially the last paragraph:T. There are routes through this, probably different ones for all of us. We just need to take a few deep breaths, re-think our attitude to money and what is and isn't important in life. Something as simple (and inexpensive:j) as the teacake and coffee that you enjoyed (and probably more enjoyable for being a rare event and so much more appreciated for that) is a great example:T.

Yes, we can live happy and contentented lives without the latest model of heating timer (mine doesn't work either:() or cooker. Had to replace my cooker this year as neither oven or 3 of the 4 zones on the hob worked(by stopping payments on SC to get a bit of emergency cash:o to cover all the things that conked out at once). My microwave doesn't work either (gone to the tip and not yet replaced) so a cooker seemed the best and cheapest option to cover all bases. I shopped around carefully, checked cashbacks etc, until I found the very best bargain I could. It is certainly much more basic than any I've ever had in my life before (hence the low price;)) but it fits the bill perfectly. In the old days I'd have bought the latest 'top' brand with lots of extras that I'd never use/need and just bung it on the credit card:eek:. I can honestly say that I don't miss those days at all, my attitudes to and appreciation of what is important in life have completely changed for the better:j. Going on a DMP is the best decision I ever made, and not just financially.

Take care of yourself, Sazz. You are an absolute star on this thread:A
  • Jon81
    Jon81 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi just started reading all the posts. I'm on a dmp with SC. Been with them for 15 months but thinking I might go it alone. Total debts are 43k but I have a debt with Avant Credit £1623.They offered me a settlement of 325 I responded with a counter offer of 230 accepyþ

Hi Braveheart,

Very interested to hear more about your settlement with Avant, do you approach them initially or other way round
  • braveheart6612
    Options
    Hi Jon81

They contacted me just after my dmp started offering a settlement of 900 I couldn't afford it. I received a text from them last week asking me to contact.They seem very proactive about getting a deal , they offered me 325 as I said but thought I would chance it and try and get it cheaper. Managed to get the date extended until I got paid. Alsi in my email reply I made sure it full and final as per the forum. I was surprised at how low they would go..........
  • phoenixx
    Options
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    Hi Phoenixx

Great to see you back, signature looks great and glad to hear wardrobe issues are a thing of the past. :D

Saz

Thanks Saz - hope you're okay. I read your post about how you're feeling and practising gratefulness etc. You are doing so well with everything and are certainly an inspiration to me to keep going. :) I know exactly what you mean about the depressing news recently and it is so hard to get a break from it these days as it's everywhere.
    We have been on a DMP now since 2011 and it is a slog. So glad we did it but hard when things start wearing out. Our TV is perilously close to packing up and new fridge needed last month. It is so important though to build up enough for something like a teacake in town.
    I was 50 earlier this year and a friend bought me an afternoon tea voucher - amazing. I loved it and more so as we rarely go out. In these times it is important to be kind - to ourselves as well as others.

Take care dear Sazzie
    Phoenixx xx
    DMP since August 2011
    DFD January 2018 hopefully sooner :j
    Debt at start: £98769:eek:
    Debt now: £24993:o
    Paid back: £73776 :j
    Taking it one day at a time:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories