We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi Carboot,

I would be extremely careful here if i were you.
    Banks have a legal route open to them to recover any money owed on one account with that company, from any other account held with the same company, its called "right of set off".

Now this is supposed to only be done within strict limits, for example, off the top of my head, i think they can only take money from an account if it has at least £5000 in it, they cant just wade in willy nilly.

To be 100% safe, its best to close any secondary accounts you may have with a creditor, that you still owe money too.

Hi,

I may have misunderstood Sourcrates but NW used the offset rule to take the £12 we had left in our savings account towards the £5k OD.
    I didn't really care at the time I was grateful to start the DMP.

If you didn't have same lender debt, I'd be less concerned. Can understand why you'd want to keep hold of the account though, just maybe don't use it until your CC debt is gone.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 6 November 2016 at 10:18AM
    Options
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    Hi,

I may have misunderstood Sourcrates but NW used the offset rule to take the £12 we had left in our savings account towards the £5k OD.

If you didn't have same lender debt, I'd be less concerned. Can understand why you'd want to keep hold of the account though, just maybe don't use it until your CC debt is gone.

Saz

I want to keep it for future use in case I find it difficult to get a 'real' account post DMP. My credit file will be clear of the defaults a while before then but there will be a couple with AP markers on unless I can get defaults and more importantly get them backdated . Other banks may not want me:(. I really need one with a branch more local to me.

The bank account I opened when I started my DMP was all organised online. They do have branches but, being very rural, the nearest bricks and mortar branch is about 17 miles away. The other one (that I have CC debts with) has a small branch in my local town. I visit that town several times a week for shopping etc.

I do car boot/table top sales to try to make a bit of extra cash . I keep the notes but often have loads of small change that I need to pay in somewhere (pretty sharpish as I need the money:o) and on occasion have paid it into my local bank and rushed home and transferred it electronically to my 'clean' account. Never had a problem but then it was never in there long enough to be seized and it is normally such a piddling amount anyway that I expect it wasn't worth the hassle to them.

I'm sorry as this is such a minor problem in the scheme of things but it is nagging at me:o
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,173 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    Hi,

Saz

Its actually a very gray area in banking law, the source of this law is slightly unclear, though many believe it stems back to a case from the 19th century. Nowadays the rules are in the Lending Code. While this is a voluntary code of practice, most banks subscribe to it, and the rules are binding.

From doing a little research they can pretty much take whats owed from any other account held by you, in the same capacity, with the same company, the option to use setoff is down to each banks own operating procedures.

So best not to bank where you have debts everyone !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • NewcastlePaul
    Options
    After finally completing my DMP last month.
    It was nice yesterday that the last letter received from Stepchange was a congratulations card.
    Very nice touch :)
    31st December 2004 - Debt was £128,596.72
    1st October 2016 - Debt Free
    12 years of Stepchange + PPI +F&F
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4862915
  • racht
    racht Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I want to keep it for future use in case I find it difficult to get a 'real' account post DMP. My credit file will be clear of the defaults a while before then but there will be a couple with AP markers on unless I can get defaults and more importantly get them backdated . Other banks may not want me:(. I really need one with a branch more local to me.

The bank account I opened when I started my DMP was all organised online. They do have branches but, being very rural, the nearest bricks and mortar branch is about 17 miles away. The other one (that I have CC debts with) has a small branch in my local town. I visit that town several times a week for shopping etc.

I do car boot/table top sales to try to make a bit of extra cash . I keep the notes but often have loads of small change that I need to pay in somewhere (pretty sharpish as I need the money:o) and on occasion have paid it into my local bank and rushed home and transferred it electronically to my 'clean' account. Never had a problem but then it was never in there long enough to be seized and it is normally such a piddling amount anyway that I expect it wasn't worth the hassle to them.

I'm sorry as this is such a minor problem in the scheme of things but it is nagging at me:o

Have you got a post office more local to you? When I started my DMP I opened a basic account with Co-op- It actually works out better for me as I can pay any money or cheques into my local post office without having to go into the nearby town.
    LBM June 2014
    Self managed since July 2016,
    Nationwide OD Default :) Nationwide CC Default :) Next Default :) Very Default :j
    Total Debt Aug 2014 £20,852 :eek: April 2017 £11,785 Jan 2020 £5,932 :T
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 7 November 2016 at 9:59AM
    Options
    racht wrote: »
    Have you got a post office more local to you? When I started my DMP I opened a basic account with Co-op- It actually works out better for me as I can pay any money or cheques into my local post office without having to go into the nearby town.

Thanks, racht:T

I do have a PO about 5 miles away:j but don't have a PO account. Do you mean it's possible to pay in cheques and cash to another (not a PO) account at a PO? Do you need some sort of paying-in book? My basic bank account doesn't provide one. All I have is a cash/debit card from the bank. If I've ever had a cheque to deposit I've printed off the online form and posted it off to the bank. Must check as not sure that would do for paying in via a PO. An elderly relative of mine has a PO account and says when she pays in cheques to it she needs a paying-in slip. The PO accept cash deposits just using her card though.
  • racht
    racht Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, racht:T

I do have a PO about 5 miles away:j but don't have a PO account. Do you mean it's possible to pay in cheques and cash to another (not a PO) account at a PO? Do you need some sort of paying-in book? My basic bank account doesn't provide one. All I have is a cash/debit card from the bank. If I've ever had a cheque to deposit I've printed off the online form and posted it off to the bank. Must check as not sure that would do for paying in via a PO. An elderly relative of mine has a PO account and says when she pays in cheques to it she needs a paying-in slip. The PO accept cash deposits just using her card though.

I don't have a PO account at all- just the basic Co-op account, I can pay cash straight into my account with the debit card - and its credited straight to account. I had to order a paying in book and envelopes to pay in any cheques- these do take a bit longer to be credited to account- but it saves me a bus trip into town, I sell a lot on facebook so easy to pay the cash straight in when needed.
    LBM June 2014
    Self managed since July 2016,
    Nationwide OD Default :) Nationwide CC Default :) Next Default :) Very Default :j
    Total Debt Aug 2014 £20,852 :eek: April 2017 £11,785 Jan 2020 £5,932 :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    racht wrote: »
    I don't have a PO account at all- just the basic Co-op account, I can pay cash straight into my account with the debit card - and its credited straight to account. I had to order a paying in book and envelopes to pay in any cheques- these do take a bit longer to be credited to account- but it saves me a bus trip into town, I sell a lot on facebook so easy to pay the cash straight in when needed.

Thanks very much. That's really useful information:T. I'll see if my bank will supply me with a paying-in book:).
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi sourcrates

sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi Carboot,

I would be extremely careful here if i were you.
    Banks have a legal route open to them to recover any money owed on one account with that company, from any other account held with the same company, its called "right of set off".

Now this is supposed to only be done within strict limits, for example, off the top of my head, i think they can only take money from an account if it has at least £5000 in it, they cant just wade in willy nilly.

To be 100% safe, its best to close any secondary accounts you may have with a creditor, that you still owe money too.

I just wanted to clarify that there is no set "protected" level of funds in an account for the purposes of a bank exercising its right of set off. There are, however, other requirements on banks when considering doing this, which can be found within the Banking Code of Business Sourcebook:

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/BCOBS/5/1.html

HMRC have recently acquired powers to deduct money from a debtor's bank account for money owed to them - however the first £5,000 in any such account is protected from this action. Perhaps that is what you had in mind. The relevant legislation can be found at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/33/schedule/8 for anyone who is interested.

Of course, despite all the above, it always makes sense come what may to operate a bank account that is not connected in the slightest to one's debts.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,173 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

HMRC have recently acquired powers to deduct money from a debtor's bank account for money owed to them - however the first £5,000 in any such account is protected from this action. Perhaps that is what you had in mind. The relevant legislation can be found at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/33/schedule/8 for anyone who is interested.

Dennis
    @natdebtline

Think thats what i had in mind Dennis, not read up on it lately.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport