Online grocery minimum spend

I've just tried to place my first online grocery order of the year, and was told that the minimum order for delivery is now £40 (it used to be £25). As I only need £28 of items, I guess this means that I'll need to go back to shopping at Sainsburys.

When did this change happen?

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 January 2015 at 1:57AM
    For the past year or so (and perhaps much longer) the minimum order has been £25 if paying for each individual delivery but £40 if deliveries were paid for with a Delivery Pass.

The FAQs now say "
    Is there a minimum order amount?
    The minimum order amount is £25 for the majority of our stores. This does however vary in certain parts of the country. i.e. Central London". Strange wording. I wonder if "i.e." should be "e.g.".

Sainsbury's will deliver £25 of groceries but orders of less than £40 incur a higher delivery charge. As with ASDA the minimum order with a delivery pass is £40.

Tesco's minimum order is £25 with or without a pass. (In fact an order of less than £25 will be accepted but a delivery surcharge will be applied.)

• DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    Why not just buy stuff you'll definitely need sometime down the line like toilet paper, deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    DaveTheMus wrote: »
    Why not just buy stuff you'll definitely need sometime down the line like toilet paper, deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste?

Except that only works once ... not next week too.
    :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have just logged on to Asda and my min delivery is still £25
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As has been said, £25 minimum for a one off shop; http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/cat/1215135760597 "£25 minimum order for Home Delivery"

It is £40 minimum if using a delivery pass.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    I have just logged on to Asda and my min delivery is still £25

When I logon it says that the minimum for delivery is £25. As soon as I select a delivery slot that changes to £40. I live in Richmond (Surrey) so maybe that's one of the areas that is subject to this special condition that Asda has so helpfully introduced. I wonder how many customers they'll lose when this starts hitting people.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 January 2015 at 1:29PM
    itm2 wrote: »
    When I logon it says that the minimum for delivery is £25. As soon as I select a delivery slot that changes to £40. I live in Richmond (Surrey) so maybe that's one of the areas that is subject to this special condition that Asda has so helpfully introduced. I wonder how many customers they'll lose when this starts hitting people.

Just logged in, £25 minimum, chose a slot, still £25, put an item in trolley, still £25 minimum, gone to checkout, pop ups says, "Sorry, you need to spend £25 on your grocery shopping before you can checkout".

Do you have a monthly pass? As if you have it will probably flag this up and that minimum is £40.

(Lancashire).

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    derrick wrote: »
    Just logged in, £25 minimum, chose a slot, still £25, put an item in trolley, still £25 minimum, gone to checkout, pop ups says, "Sorry, you need to spend £25 on your grocery shopping before you can checkout".

Do you have a monthly pass? As if you have it will probably flag this up and that minimum is £40.

(Lancashire).

No, no monthly pass, it seems I just live in the wrong part of the country :0(
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,887 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    itm2 wrote: »

Just logged in and its still £25 for me. (Godalming, Surrey)

To be honest though I dont mind if they change mine to £40 as I always spend way over that each week. Pain in the bottom though for small spenders. Maybe its not worth there while for a £25 spend, especially if it is a £1 delivery slot?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bundly
    bundly Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Well, Tesco has now raised the minimum spend to £40.

Has anyone worked out which is the cheapest online supermarket for single people who only spend £25 a week?

Bundly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport