We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,800 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    And sorry to hear you and Mr Edwink are ill, hope you both recover soon. There's some rotten stuff going round!
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    I've just checked the Defra risk assessments - seems there's barely any avian flu round this year, risk to both wild birds and poultry is classified as low. This time last year we were classed as very high, and the housing order had been in place since 7th November! 

If you fancy trawling through the risk assessments they're here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-europe

I read them obsessively for the last couple of years 😂
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 December 2023 at 9:11PM
    Options
    I've just checked the Defra risk assessments - seems there's barely any avian flu round this year, risk to both wild birds and poultry is classified as low. This time last year we were classed as very high, and the housing order had been in place since 7th November! 

If you fancy trawling through the risk assessments they're here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-europe

I read them obsessively for the last couple of years 😂
    Thanks, Cheery, I trawl through that too at times. Thank you for the link I have had it saved on my tablet for a while now but it might help others on here that haven't seen it before. Yes, I've read there is barely any Avian Flu around this year. No Lockdown this Winter so far and fingers crossed it stays that way. I think we had hens here for around 8 years before we had an official lockdown so we were lucky I guess. But, I think you had a lockdown every winter you had your hens which was most unlucky.

Fingers and toes crossed eh?

Mr Edwink besides having this rotten cold bug has now jolted his back. He went out to his music studio to get something and instead of taking the 2 steps down just outside the door he stepped out and missed the steps and landed on one leg right on the ground so is now hobbling about, bless him. So cough mixture, throat sweets, and painkillers for him now, oh, and 2 sleepless nights so far. And, now he is getting grumpy, oh dear!

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    Options

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE x x x  I've not posted as I've been so poorly with a viral infection, just so so tired, sorry. 

Anyway, little Biscuit is doing fine and we love her to bits.  She will have veggie Christmas dinner the same as us the same as we have done with all the hens over the years. Mushroom Wellington, Roast potato pieces, chopped sprouts, and carrots. Also a little bit of mashed Christmas cake and the icing too plus some tiffle with custard. Not all in one go, just bits throughout the day. Our Christmas day is hers too and it has always been like that. 

Be happy and warm everyone. I'm boiling hot and/or cold so heating is on low here presently. I feel so rough so in bed early today.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Oh edwink, you've made my day giving Biscuit a proper Christmas dinner 😂😂 Mr Cheery was just asking about her earlier, and is delighted that she will be having mushroom Wellington, Christmas cake and trifle 😂😂 He wants to know if she'll be joining you at the dining table 😁 We will think of you all on Christmas day! Xx
  • edwink
    Options
    Oh edwink, you've made my day giving Biscuit a proper Christmas dinner 😂😂 Mr Cheery was just asking about her earlier, and is delighted that she will be having mushroom Wellington, Christmas cake and trifle 😂😂 He wants to know if she'll be joining you at the dining table 😁 We will think of you all on Christmas day! Xx
    Well, veggie Christmas dinner went down well with little Biscuit, which was good but she turned her nose up at the sprouts. Normally doesn't but guess there were too many other tasty things in her dish to eat instead. She would have eaten them had she been hungry, I bet. Shame I couldn't get pic of her scoffing at her trifle for Mr Cheery but I'm still poorly and Mr Edwink was left to his own devices to make sure she had company and lots of festive food. So he did very well, cleaned out the coop, raked run to fluff up shavings, changed water, and poop picked. Plus, we have a friend's dog to look after, a little Bichon, a little sweetie. Didn't mind as was home all Christmas anyway. Company more so for Mr Edwink with walks etc.

I've still got this virus and finally saw my doctor as I have sinusitis as well and have antibiotics to clear that up. The virus will go on its own SOON hopefully. So not the best Christmas this year but most of all Biscuit certainly enjoyed her Christmas feast so was pleased about that.

Catch up with you all soon.

Edwink x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Happy New Year edwink, Mr edwink, Biscuit (of course) and all other readers and lurkers and hen friends 😊

Hope you're feeling better soon edwink, feels like you've been ill for a good while! Xx
  • edwink
    Options
    Hi Everyone & Cheery

Biscuit is doing well and still plodding on, bless her. Also as usual being thoroughly spoilt. I do love my little ex-batt hen x

Not a good start for me on New Year's Day health-wise but slowly getting back to being stronger. 

I'll try and post more another time but for now just a quick update for those of you who are following my beautiful little hen, Biscuit.

Edwink x
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Edwink sorry that you have not been well, but so pleased that biscuit is fine and enjoying all her treats still, x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • edwink
    edited 30 January at 2:06PM
    Options

Hiya everyone and thank you to Cheery and maddiemay

All going ok here with little Biscuit.  I can't believe she will be 6 years old in March, crikey that is ancient.  So she has officially outlived our oldest ex-battery hen named Scarf who lived 5 years & 10 months as of the end of January.  We rehomed her here on 13th October 2019 so we always used the rehoming day as their birthdays give or take a few days.  All we know is the actual year they were born and told they were 18 months old at that time. So she is doing incredibly well, bless her.

She is still doing what any hen does and sleeps, forages, eats food, and has treats, and bless her hardly makes any mess at all.  She is quite vocal in the mornings and spends a lot of time chirping away whilst eating her breakfast and scratching about on the ground.  Mr Edwink sits with her to make sure she is eating enough and just observes how she is each day for reassurance. It's lovely that Mr Edwink fills me in on her every day as I'm still indoors having to rest since coming out of hospital. As some of you will know have several medical conditions already but now have Colitis to add to the mix going forward. My hospital stay was very uncomfortable, but I'm slowly getting there, definitely, it is slow though but I do feel I'm winning and making progress at home now. Hard of hearing and hospitals especially busy busy New Year's Day was overload for me and as went in via A&E was somewhat scary, at least until I knew what was causing so much pain etc.  That's enough about me but I hope just explains somewhat why I haven't ventured out "trekking" to see Little Biscuit yet and Mr Edwink is doing the running around.

So onwards and upwards as they say, I feel so much better than I did 3 weeks ago, and so much better than last week so will hope to pop out and see Biscuit in the coming days. In the meantime she is being thoroughly looked after by Mr Edwink, bless him and I am being looked after too.

Thanks, everyone, I'll update you on Biscuit soon.

Edwink x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback