We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,743 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Good to see you posting again edwink 😊 Sounds like you've been having a rotten old time of it. Very glad Mr Edwink is looking after both you and Biscuit, and I hope you can get out to see her soon. Our beloved Bessie made it to almost six, we miss her and our others every single day as you know xx
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 7 February at 5:24PM
    Options

Hi

Finally got out to see little Biscuit, bless her.  She has everything she needs and is doing well.  Mr Edwink still sits with her for a while every
    morning which is good and now every late afternoon now it is lighter and she goes to bed a bit later.  After being indoors resting for weeks and in the hospital, I certainly noticed the temperature change, it is funny what we get used to isn't it? 

Anyway as you know Biscuit is heading to be 6 years old on 13th March so we will make her a little cake of her own with all sorts of yummy fruit and things in and maybe some custard on the top for good measures. 

I'll keep the thread updated on her progress over the coming weeks.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    Options
    My little rescue lady is still doing really well.  She is an ancient old bird now and still eating well, loving life, and enjoying her extra daily "I'm being spoilt rotten" treats.  Today for an extra treat food was one of her favourites, creamed rice pudding, why not I say.  Tomorrow she has grated mango and yogurt. Just hope these little extra treat differences brighten her day.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Edwink! I was just thinking of you and Biscuit yesterday,  and meant to post next time I came in here 😊 lovely to hear from you,  and to hear that Biscuit is doing well. Rice pudding!! Something or never had,  but I bet she loves it! Ours always adored yogurt, we have a hilarious video of six of them eating yogurt in the living room and shopping their breaks all over the carpet. What a mess! 🙄😂

Hope you yourself are doing OK too xx
  • edwink
    edited 13 March at 9:33AM
    Options

IT'S BISCUITS 6TH BIRTHDAY TODAY X X X  HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY SWEET LITTLE HEN X X X 

AWW BLESS HER MY LITTLE ANCIENT EX-BATTERY GIRL X X X 

• Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Aw, Happy Birthday Biscuit! 🥰🥰🥰 Hope you had a day filled with dust baths and all your favourite treats xxxxx
  • edwink
    Options
    Aw, Happy Birthday Biscuit! 🥰🥰🥰 Hope you had a day filled with dust baths and all your favourite treats xxxxx
    She had a small piece of Quorn meaty pie with the pastry on, mashed potato with butter, peas and carrots in a little dish just like a little hens dinner.  Then in the afternoon, she had jam sponge with custard and she ate every bit of it. Later before bed, she had a little bit of cream in a little pot as a treat and it was all over her face, bless her.

She thoroughly deserved the lot and ate it all. She knows we don't like food waste in this house.

Edwink x
  • edwink
    edited 25 March at 2:30AM
    Options
    Hi everyone

Little Biscuit is OK but appears to not be doing as well as she has been.  We've thoroughly checked her over and can't pinpoint anything untoward and thankfully she doesn't appear unwell or anything like that.  We noticed last week she was a little slow but not by much as she is such an old girl and a bit slow anyway these days.  But, for the last 3 evenings when Mr Edwink went to lock her up safely for the night she had gone to bed in the hospital hut which is at ground level within the chicken run and not her hotel where she has 3 steps to climb up to get into it and then once inside has steps to climb up on to the perches into her cosy just for her warm shelter he made. So he picked her up each time and placed her in her normal sleeping shelter and twice she came out as normal down the steps in the morning but yesterday she was just standing up and awake but didn't attempt to climb down the steps. So Mr Edwink lifted her out himself.

So last night Mr Edwink moved her cosy shelter within her hotel and placed in on the floor of the hotel right in front of the door and added a straw shavings base for comfort for her. So now she won't have the steps to climb up or down anymore inside but still the 3 outdoor steps as can't remove them or she'll have to jump in and jump out in the future but it would be too high for her to do that. Once Mr Edwink moved her cosy shelter he picked her up and put her in it and she is now locked up safely and we've checked on her since during dark and she is sleeping, bless her. 

Mr Edwink will go up a bit earlier in the morning than he normally does and if she is awake he'll wait and see if she will climb down the 3 outdoor steps and if not lift her out and back in tomorrow evening. That might be the solution going forward with her and those outdoor steps.

Bless her, I know she is ancient and we will do all we can to make things easier for her. We'd obviously prefer her not to sleep in the hospital hut because it not as secure as her hotel but it doesn't have any steps up and down either. We'll see how she manages over the next few days and take it from there, I guess.

Edwink x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Aw bless her. All fingers crossed. As you say, she's getting on, and hopefully is just feeling a bit creaky.

I can't believe I didn't reply to your previous post! I did show Mr Cheery, and we have had a lot of smiles and cheerfulness imagining Biscuit eating her birthday dinner 😊😊😊

Do keep us informed. Sending all good and healing thoughts your way. You're doing such a good job of looking after her xxx
  • edwink
    Options
    Aw bless her. All fingers crossed. As you say, she's getting on, and hopefully is just feeling a bit creaky.

I can't believe I didn't reply to your previous post! I did show Mr Cheery, and we have had a lot of smiles and cheerfulness imagining Biscuit eating her birthday dinner 😊😊😊

Do keep us informed. Sending all good and healing thoughts your way. You're doing such a good job of looking after her xxx
    Thanks every so much Cheery, we are doing our best for her.

She was in the hospital hut tonight when Mr Edwink went to put her to bed but she came wandering out of it when she saw him, bless her.  He picked her up carried her to put her into bed so she didn't have to climb the 3 outdoor steps tonight.

Again we'll see how she is managing in the morning. Just struggling with old age now I guess so we can certainly help her with that and she'll still have the best life we can give her going forward.

Will keep thread updated.

Edwink x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback