Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 621
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I’ve kept various breeds/hybrids over the years.
    I’ve never named them but the kids used to when they were younger.
    Currently just got half a dozen White Stars. A bit flighty but lay lovely big white eggs every/most days. Probably get about 300 eggs a year from each until they moult.

only problem with White Stars is the year are a bit flighty and don’t live long compared to other types.
  • I think my egg count is starting to slow down - only had 4 in the past week.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,952
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    WYSPECIAL said:
    I’ve kept various breeds/hybrids over the years.
    I’ve never named them but the kids used to when they were younger.
    Currently just got half a dozen White Stars. A bit flighty but lay lovely big white eggs every/most days. Probably get about 300 eggs a year from each until they moult.

only problem with White Stars is the year are a bit flighty and don’t live long compared to other types.
    Hi WYSPECIAL

We have over the past had one White Star and what a scatty little hen she was. She never came near for treats, always at the back of the queue and when it was near her turn she would run away like a lunatic. We could never get near her. I remember when we went to collect her and some others I picked her up and she scratched my arm and actually made it bleed so I called her Asbo from the start. Over the years as she got older she warmed to us a lot more and even let me cover her in soil when it was a hot day with only her head sticking out the top. She actually went to sleep when I did that and she allowed me to massage her back which showed how calm and trusting she became over the years. I missed that little hen when she went because she was such a character.

And, yes I agree they do lay lovely big white eggs.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    Forumite
    DigSunPap said:
    I think my egg count is starting to slow down - only had 4 in the past week.

It's definitely down to the colder weather that does that 😒 We used to get a huge drop in eggs, especially around December and January. Then in the Spring, the egg numbers would go back up again 😊

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edwink said:
    DigSunPap said:
    I think my egg count is starting to slow down - only had 4 in the past week.

It's definitely down to the colder weather that does that 😒 We used to get a huge drop in eggs, especially around December and January. Then in the Spring, the egg numbers would go back up again 😊

Edwink x
    Fingers crossed!! Hopefully the count doesn't stay too low. We shall see. Lets keep each other updated :)
  • edwink
    Forumite
    For goodness sake, I've been locked out of MSE for 3 days. It just wouldn't accept my password. I tried so many times over the past 3 days and just decided to give up today and had to change my password to get on here. I've had the same password for years so couldn't understand why it wouldn't accept it, Oh well. back on here now.

Little biscuit has taken so well to her little box, bless her. We have now started to keep the main door closed all day to help with warmth and just keep her little hen door open at the bottom. Bless her she has taken to that too and now goes to bed through her little door, up the steps, and straight into her new little coop box. We have done this because of her age she does go to bed earlier sometimes and those times are a little unpredictable now. Occasionally When we go out to shut the door she is already in her new coop box sleeping but with the main door open which would be drafty for her. The little door at the bottom is so much smaller and obviously works for her. Clever little hen she is 😘💕😘

Hope everyone and their hens are ok and getting used to this colder weather.

Edwink x
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 7 November 2023 at 3:46PM
    Hi everyone

Glad to say that little Biscuit is doing very well. She spent most of the day outside with us as we had a lot of cutting back to do where bushes and trees had become overgrown. It was a little chilly so I encouraged Biscuit to go into the veg Garden and as the greenhouses had their doors open she gently snuggled down in one of them and started flicking soil all about the place. She has a 12ft x 3ft sieved dust bath in her run but obviously prefers the greenhouse soil which has some stones in it. Funny creature she is. She was in there for ages and even appeared to have a nap, bless her. She likes to be around us and when myself and Mr Edwink chat Mr Edwink can hear her chirping away. I can only hear her if she she standing next to me chirping because of my hearing or lack of it should I say.

I am just so chuffed that she is doing so well, eating ok, and often preening herself. All good signs she is healthy for an old girl. She is coming up to 5 years and 7 months on the 13th, bless her. A great age for an ex-battery girl. She is probably warmer than us in her cosy cushioned new box because our heating isn't working and looks as if the pump is stuck. We have Biomass and that side of it is fine as we have hot water for showers etc. but the pump that supplies the radiators with hot water appears to be jammed. Trying to get a plumber this time of year is a nightmare.  This morning when we went downstairs the hall was 11c and the living room was at 13c as we did light the woodburner last night. We both have a heated blanket downstairs and one each on the bed so not all is lost. We are managing to stay warm but if we want the loo or a cup of tea the house is freezing and neither of us wants to move from our cosy heated blankets 🤣🤣🤣

Looks like November is going to be one of those months, starting with no heating. We had a funeral to go to last Thursday in Dover that just as we started off, was cancelled because of the atrocious weather down there and was rescheduled for 9.30am the following morning. We are in Hertfordshire so had to leave really early and open up Biscuit's little door early so she could come out when she was ready. We also have another funeral to go to in Croydon which isn't too far away so won't be such an early start, thankfully and we'll be home in time to get Biscuit locked in her coop. She will be in the locked run whilst we are not there so will be safe during the day with all her treats and goodies to eat. She had a thing about raspberries this year as we had loads growing and she kept stopping by the bushes until we picked her some but now they are finished we are buying her them every week when we go shopping so she doesn't go without them.

Hope everyone and their hens are ok.

Edwink x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,504
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thank you so much for sharing your stories about Biscuit with us edwink 🥰🥰 Mr Cheery often asks about her. He misses our own ladies SO much. It was May when we passed our final two to their new home, and he still talks about them every single day. He came in after a particularly difficult and stressful encounter last night, and I was able to share about Biscuit pottering round the garden, having a dust bath in the greenhouse, and having her requirements for raspberry treats lovingly met 🥰 We often chat about how cosy Biscuit must be in her little house with her cushions. 

I hope you don't think it's too odd, us talking about Biscuit like this! 🙈😂  Mr Cheery especially misses ours, and we don't have anyone locally with chickens we can go and hang out with, so tales of Biscuit, and others on here, keep us going. Please do keep sharing! 
  • edwink
    Forumite
    Thank you so much for sharing your stories about Biscuit with us edwink 🥰🥰 Mr Cheery often asks about her. He misses our own ladies SO much. It was May when we passed our final two to their new home, and he still talks about them every single day. He came in after a particularly difficult and stressful encounter last night, and I was able to share about Biscuit pottering round the garden, having a dust bath in the greenhouse, and having her requirements for raspberry treats lovingly met 🥰 We often chat about how cosy Biscuit must be in her little house with her cushions. 

I hope you don't think it's too odd, us talking about Biscuit like this! 🙈😂  Mr Cheery especially misses ours, and we don't have anyone locally with chickens we can go and hang out with, so tales of Biscuit, and others on here, keep us going. Please do keep sharing! 
    Hi Cheery

Many thanks to both you and Mr Cheery 😘

Of course, I don't think it is odd.  I love that you and Mr Cheery are interested enough to want to know how Biscuit is. It makes me want to post more about her to let you and others know how she is getting on. I'm so pleased you are still following her on here, I really am 😘

I've got some more pics to put on here but quite frankly with no heating in my craft room lately where my main laptop stays which is north-facing it has been blooming freezing in there. I normally put my posts on here from my smaller laptop when I am all cosy on the sofa or in bed with one of my heated throws on me. But, finally, yes finally the heating is back on as of last night and it appeared that the pump was jammed. Now unjammed and running as it should the house is gradually warming up. Yesterday, morning it was 11c in most of the house but the living room was 13c because we had the log burner on the night before. Like you having a detached house obviously with four outside walls it can get pretty chilly without heating and at 11c it was blooming cold. 

Will get the new pics on hopefully over the weekend when my craft room has sufficiently warmed up.

Edwink x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,504
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Ooh, very glad you have your heating back! 😊😊 Didn't want you to have to get into the chicken coop for warmth!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback