Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,300
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 September 2023 at 8:05AM
    Oh Edwink I am sorry you are having sleepless nights.  It does sound as if she is safe at night but yes not nice to think that she can hear the fox and feels alone, we are probably putting human feelings onto her but its hard not to when they are so vulnerable and its your job to keep them safe.

I'm trying to help but not sure anyone can say anything helpful.  Sorry about your meneires, a friend has it and it can be so debilitating, hope yours is under control x 

I have visions of Biscuit spending the winter tucked up on the sofa between you and Mr Edwink with a little bed in the kitchen  :D
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,952
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Oh Edwink I am sorry you are having sleepless nights.  It does sound as if she is safe at night but yes not nice to think that she can hear the fox and feels alone, we are probably putting human feelings onto her but its hard not to when they are so vulnerable and its your job to keep them safe.

I'm trying to help but not sure anyone can say anything helpful.  Sorry about your meneires, a friend has it and it can be so debilitating, hope yours is under control x 

I have visions of Biscuit spending the winter tucked up on the sofa between you and Mr Edwink with a little bed in the kitchen  :D

Thank you Cheery and Sammyjammy, you have both helped by responding to my "I've been up all night" post. I was getting so upset. Of course, she is secure I know that really. But, I can't help but worry about her.

Yes, Sammyjammy I have visions of Biscuit on the sofa too and with a bed in the kitchen. Previously if any of the hens were unwell we always brought them indoors with us so we could keep a close eye on them. The ones that had been really poorly would bed down on some soft blankets I'd given them as a cosy bed but the ones that were just poorly like under the weather always slept under the kitchen table. There is a long thick slat of wood that is part of the table and goes from one end to the other and they would always perch under there in the evening if they weren't on my lap. We used to put some kitchen paper on the floor under their "bottom half" as hens do most of their poo during the night. Better than it going on the floor 🤣🤣🤣 As we don't have any curtains at the back because we have 2 sets of large patio doors it gets light in there so early in the mornings so we would come down to a squawking hen calling for her breakfast at the bottom of the stairs. It was so funny.

No more sightings of the fox and heard nothing fence wise so hopefully, the fox has moved on. But, who knows around here as we back onto a large common. We'll just carry on being vigilant I guess. We have a male dog coming to stay for two weekends so will make sure he does his pee around the boundary fences of the common. Male urine scent will put foxes off from coming in so that will definitely help the situation.

Thanks for your support x

Edwink x

Sammyjammy, yes Menieres is very debilitating. I feel so sorry for your friend knowing exactly what it is like. I've had it for around 12 years now. I am totally deaf in my left ear and have a 35% decibel loss in my right ear which now has distorted hearing. My ears won't pop as some people's do like when they get off an airplane so when people talk it sounds as if I have a bucket on my head, seriously it is horrible and really gets me down at times. I have Tinnitus in both ears too and that drives me crackers, to say the least. Lots of people are so much worse off so I must not grumble really x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • sammyjammy
    Forumite
    edited 27 September 2023 at 10:19AM
    edwink said:

Thank you Cheery and Sammyjammy, you have both helped by responding to my "I've been up all night" post. I was getting so upset. Of course, she is secure I know that really. But, I can't help but worry about her.

Yes, Sammyjammy I have visions of Biscuit on the sofa too and with a bed in the kitchen. Previously if any of the hens were unwell we always brought them indoors with us so we could keep a close eye on them. The ones that had been really poorly would bed down on some soft blankets I'd given them as a cosy bed but the ones that were just poorly like under the weather always slept under the kitchen table. There is a long thick slat of wood that is part of the table and goes from one end to the other and they would always perch under there in the evening if they weren't on my lap. We used to put some kitchen paper on the floor under their "bottom half" as hens do most of their poo during the night. Better than it going on the floor 🤣🤣🤣 As we don't have any curtains at the back because we have 2 sets of large patio doors it gets light in there so early in the mornings so we would come down to a squawking hen calling for her breakfast at the bottom of the stairs. It was so funny.

No more sightings of the fox and heard nothing fence wise so hopefully, the fox has moved on. But, who knows around here as we back onto a large common. We'll just carry on being vigilant I guess. We have a male dog coming to stay for two weekends so will make sure he does his pee around the boundary fences of the common. Male urine scent will put foxes off from coming in so that will definitely help the situation.

Edwink x

Sammyjammy, yes Menieres is very debilitating. I feel so sorry for your friend knowing exactly what it is like. I've had it for around 12 years now. I am totally deaf in my left ear and have a 35% decibel loss in my right ear which now has distorted hearing. My ears won't pop as some people's do like when they get off an airplane so when people talk it sounds as if I have a bucket on my head, seriously it is horrible and really gets me down at times. I have Tinnitus in both ears too and that drives me crackers, to say the least. Lots of people are so much worse off so I must not grumble really x
    Don't apologise for grumbling, its good for the soul, better out than in.

People being in more pain doesn't belittle yours either. xxx
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edwink said:

Edwink x

Don't apologise for grumbling, its good for the soul, better out than in.

People being in more pain doesn't belittle yours either. xxx

Aww, bless you Sammyjammy for saying that, thank you. I do try not to grumble and rarely mention anything about my health on here because after all this is a chicken and duck thread and I love anything feathery and dogs too I must admit. I have Spondylosis in the top and bottom of my spine too to add to my other ailments and it's my little feathered friends that keep me going all of the time. I am sad to be down to one little hen at the moment and prefer to have loads running about the place but Mr Edwink and I would like a few holidays before we get some more. Mr Edwink said we would get 6 rescue girls next time and I said twelve, guess what I have won the argument already but I'll just work on it and I know the number will go up because I keep telling him that it is my hobby and he can get on with playing his beloved saxophone and leave me to it 🤣🤣🤣 God help him, that's all I can say 🤣🤣🤣 

Thank you, you are so sweet x

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • sammyjammy
    Forumite
    I look forward to new hens and their stories after you have had a good long break, meanwhile Biscuit will keep you amused and distracted x
  • edwink
    Forumite

Hi everyone

All going well here with little Biscuit and she is still the cutest ever.  She is moulting at the moment so getting ready for her new thick winter feathers. She will look like a right old chubby bird when they have grown, bless her.

Poor little thing got a bit of a soaking this afternoon as she was out and about and didn't run back into her run fast enough when the heavens opened. She is not so fast on her feet these days as I have witnessed before when it has rained all of a sudden. I'm surprised she doesn't stay nearer to her run when it is so overcast but guess hens don't have the ability or maybe the common sense 🤣🤣🤣 to do that.  I know I would if it was horrible looking and overcast outside😁😁😁

Not so many hen keepers on the thread now especially as Cheery doesn't have any hens anymore. So it's just me most of the time, waffling on about my little cute Biscuit. Wish she wasn't on her own but I try to keep her company as much as I can. We've been outside all weekend being busy cutting hedges and the like with her fairly near us chirping away but today I am resting as feel I need to, being sensible for once 😁😁😁

I've taken some new pics over the weekend so will post them once I've uploaded them onto my laptop.

Take care

Edwink x
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,956
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    @edwink pleased that little biscuit is doing well, look forward to your pictures, I always pop in every few days to read about anyone's feathered ones. x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • edwink
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2023 at 4:57PM
    Sorry, I've not been posting and have not posted the photos I said I would. I have a nasty virus and have been so under the weather this week.

Just popped on as it is a special day for little Biscuit as she has now been retired here with us for 3 years today.  That makes her 5.5 years old now.

I will be back online soon, just didn't want to miss telling you all it was her retirement birthday.

Edwink x
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,505
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Aw, happy birthday Biscuit 🥰🥰🥰🥰 Give her a special treat from me 🥰🥰 xx
  • Happy retirement birthday little Biscuit x x x 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts