We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,977 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi everyone

Not the latest news on bird flu in the following link but useful links, info and phone numbers if needed so worth a read.

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/avian-flu-prevention-zone-put-place-england/?mc_cid=7407303bf4&mc_eid=[UNIQID

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    edited 1 February 2018 at 3:04AM
    Options
    Hi everyone

Hope everyone is ok and you are all managing since the Bird Flu outbreak (yet again).

We have now installed another light in to our hens coop as felt it was way too dark in there since covering it with the new green tarpaulin. Its funny because the blue tarpaulin we had before ended up making it so much lighter than it is with the green one. We thought there would be some difference but not the amount it has actually made. So they now have 2 energy saving bulbs in there which are 18 watts each which equates to around 150 watts between them so now it looks much better and I in particular have stopped worrying about them being in a dim light all day.

Added more shredded straw to the ground in there too today as that brightens the place up and keeps them busy foraging as we mix in a couple of handfuls of sunflower hearts and corn in with it. Also put a long flower trough in there and filled it with tasty weeds that they normally would forage for from the veg beds. Added some cooked Brussel sprouts and mixed them all in. That will keep them busy for ages I hope.:)

All for now

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • SisterAnna
    Options
    I love some of the pictures and photos that have been put on this chicken thread. I've not got chickens but would like some one day if and when I move so I have the space.

How long does the ban on letting them out last for? is it months at a time or just weeks? I don't know much about flu in birds.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GenuineDeficientCaudata-max-1mb.gif
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Pyxis
    Options
    animated-chicken-image-0128.gif
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• edwink
    Options
    SisterAnna wrote: »
    I love some of the pictures and photos that have been put on this chicken thread. I've not got chickens but would like some one day if and when I move so I have the space.

How long does the ban on letting them out last for? is it months at a time or just weeks? I don't know much about flu in birds.

Hi Sisteranna

Last time the ban was months. There is no saying how long it will be this time. I just keep up with the news on certain hen welfare sites and with any new cases that are found within the UK means that the ban will go on for longer. It is when then are no further reported cases in the UK that they then start to consider lifting the ban. Unless another case is reported that is.

It all depends on the keepers set up to how difficult a ban is on them and their poultry. Those that have small holdings etc. will be able to keep their hens undercover in a barn for instance with plenty of room but for backyard hen keepers it is more difficult because covering the coops over then means their hens are not quite in the dark but there will be lack of daylight for their hens with the coops covered over.

Hope that gives you some idea about what is happening as you are obviously interested. Thanks for posting.

Edwink
  • edwink
    Options
    Thank you for the pics Pxyis. Where do you get your hen pics from? Just interested :)
  • Pyxis
    edited 11 February 2018 at 12:34PM
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    Thank you for the pics Pxyis. Where do you get your hen pics from? Just interested :)

I think I just googled something like 'pecking chicken image' and just kept scrolling down until I found a suitable one that was a gif.

Edit... it might have been 'animated chicken' I googled!

Here's another one I just found!

worm.gif
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    Options
    We lost one of our old ex batts in the night. She went to hen heaven in her sleep which is the best way for her, bless her.

Its been rather quiet on here lately I do hope that everyone is ok and their hens too.

Just off to change my signature "again" :(

Edwink
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So sorry Edwink :( She would have had a great retirement with you though.

We are getting lots more eggs now! How about everyone else?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback