We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,977 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Porridge back on the menu for my girls here. Weather getting chilly, chilly again.

Got one little ex batt with a bit of a purple comb which is more than likely due to her circulation especially as we are going through the winter right now. Just need to keep an extra eye on her to make sure she is ok. Aww bless her. She is out and about with the others ok so am not too worried at this stage. Down to her age and her slowing down I expect.

How is everyone else getting on with their girls. All ok I hope. Don't forget porridge for your girls as it does help keep them warm in the cold weather.

All for now.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    Hello all
    Happy New Year!
    The weather is definitely keeping my girls in, some days they don’t even venture out until gone 11am.
    Edwink, with regards porridge what do you give them? Is it rolled oats? Do you make it up for them or just raw?
    My three love sweetcorn, they’ve discovered chopped lettuce, and they go positively loopy for sunflower hearts and millet spray, I used to give them corn but they leave it now, clearly on a health kick for the new year!x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • edwink
    edited 5 January 2018 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Edwink, with regards porridge what do you give them? Is it rolled oats? Do you make it up for them or just raw?

You can give any porridge to them loose just scattered about. I give my 8 hens plus Cockerel one small handful between them. Never give them too much when it is dry because obviously it does swell when they have eaten it.

You can also give it to them made with hot water. Just make up a small amount in a mug and add hot water and stir. Leave it until it cools a bit but still warm and they will love it.

HTH

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How is your ex batt getting on edwink?

We haven't been having a good time the last couple of weeks. Our new girl with the swollen sinus gland had to be pts. The course of ABs didn't makemuch of a difference at all, the vet felt like we'd exhausted all options so it was the kindest thing to do.

I'm also losing the battle with scaly leg mite at the moment - by original girls are now very bothered with it, especially my old rescue who has a historic foot injury. I'm absolutely livid and have just ordered ivermectin spot on to treat them all - not what I wanted to have to do due to the chemicals, but feel like it's the only way I can treat them quickly before my old girl goes lame.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One slightly confused hen...........

amazing-pictures-of-animals.jpg

The chick does not look amused.
    :rotfl:

(I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another confused hen.

With confused kittens!
    They look like they don't dare move, lest they incur the wrath of the beak! :rotfl:

15435_3.jpg
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edwink
    edited 8 January 2018 at 1:03PM
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    How is your ex batt getting on edwink?

We haven't been having a good time the last couple of weeks. Our new girl with the swollen sinus gland had to be pts. The course of ABs didn't makemuch of a difference at all, the vet felt like we'd exhausted all options so it was the kindest thing to do.

I'm also losing the battle with scaly leg mite at the moment - by original girls are now very bothered with it, especially my old rescue who has a historic foot injury. I'm absolutely livid and have just ordered ivermectin spot on to treat them all - not what I wanted to have to do due to the chemicals, but feel like it's the only way I can treat them quickly before my old girl goes lame.

Hi Beckyy

Aww bless your little hen. To be honest we had the same here with one of our ex batts. Antibiotics didn't help her so in the end along with our vet chose what was best for her and had her PTS. We can all only do the best we can for them until there is nothing more we can do to help them. Antibiotics can and will help a hen get over a sinus problem so always worth seeing your vet. But, in your case and mine nothing more could be done. :(

You certainly have not had a lot of luck with your hens have you? Lets hope the Ivermectin does the job with the scaly leg mite and finally gets rid of it. We prefer not to use chemicals with our poultry the same as you. But, when you have exhausted all other options available you end up having no choice to help save your hens. Please keep us posted on here with what is happening.

Take care

Edwink

ETA. Sorry forgot to mention my girl that you asked about in your post. She is ok thank you for asking. Just plodding on and enjoying her retirement albeit with a slightly purple comb. Doesn't appear to be affecting her so just still keeping a close eye on her. x
  • edwink
    Options
    Awww Pyxis that puppy looks sooooo comfortable, cosy and warm and that hen is looking pretty happy with her efforts too.

I am sure those kittens are happy, cosy and comfy too otherwise knowing cats they would have legged it well before that picture was taken.

I saw some great pictures some time ago. Ill see if I can find them to post on here.

Thanks for posting yours. Always gives me a smile.:)

Edwink
  • edwink
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTd5-WQ6wiMxu1B1uDDDVGpniDPCO7cqI2aNBolAGdv0aeF08ck7w

Awwww bless!!

Edwink
  • edwink
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsmhcQ6nTC2yySsbn0lpyMtgFxDh83SokcFPs4fSdTEmtXbl2X

Awww How cute are these?

Edwink
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback