Power of Attorney Question

Options

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,476 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Relative who holds LPA for his relative operates the donor's accounts "in loco" donor - he signs as Attorney when any operations are required on the accounts which remain in the name of the donor.
  • PrinceYumil
    PrinceYumil Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    cavyslave wrote: »
    That's a good idea Chris, I didn't think of that. I also asked them if they could stop sending him bank statements because he bins every letter that goes to his house, including bank statements and bills so it is impossible for me to keep track of things at the moment. They said no, they would have to keep sending statements even though I explained that the statements often upset him and make him confused (he has recently started accusing people of stealing his things, including his carers and the neighbour who sometimes pops in, silly things like pens, toilet rolls and old disposable razors) He is paranoid about his bank account and denies allowing me permission to set up direct debits for his utility bills (he did agree) and I'm worried he's going to try to cancel them if he sees other bills going out on DD.

Yeah they are not allowed to cancel them over the phone. However you will be able to go "paperless" once online. I think it's some sort of policy to protect themselves from people saying they couldn't see their statements.

I worked for Santander but not in the PoA team. I do remember some people not getting their own debit cards when PoA so I think that is unfortunately their policy.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 July 2015 at 12:00AM
    Options
    I opened a new joint Santander123 current account using LPA for my inlaws. No debit card or chequebook was issued. Santander said they don't issue debit cards to attorneys. I don't need a chequebook and can do everything I need online. Santander send paper statements to me, father-in-law and mother-in-law. I don't think I can easily opt-out of paper statements and I prefer f-i-l to see the statements so he can see that I'm operating the account properly.

The in-laws also have an existing joint current account with Halifax, who have issued debit cards and chequebooks to both account holders and both attorneys. Halifax send only one statement (to f-i-l); they also allow online access by the attorneys.

The Halifax account is funded by pensions; the Santander is funded by standing order from the Halifax.

So a possible solution for the OP would be to set-up something similar with Halifax or another bank.
  • cavyslave
    cavyslave Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK guys, I have my appointment with "Emma" this morning at Santander to register my BIL's POA. They said to expect the appointment to last roughly an hour, can't really understand why so long but hey ho, and I have all the relevant documentation ready.

Several people have told me that if I'm insistant enough they may well issue me with a debit card so that I can start using it to pay for his shopping, bills, and anything else he needs instead of using my card and waiting for him to reimburse me. I can no longer afford to sub him (I don't mean that in a nasty way, but I'm a widowed parent on benefits and my income is very limited) and then wait for the cheque he gives me to clear into my account. We live over 50 miles from him and can only visit fortnightly so sometimes I'm waiting over a month for cleared funds to go in and I'm losing track of what is what.

He is no longer able to manage his finances, he cannot get out of the house anyway as his legs no longer hold him up, and the carers keep going on at me to order him a new washing machine as his old one is starting to break down, but in all honesty I just do not have the £200 odd pounds to buy one and then wait to be reimbursed. It is all such a worry and the financial problems it is causing me is giving me sleepless nights. Of course my BIL doesn't comprehend any of this, and I don't want to burden him with my problems, but I don't see why I can't just have a card, surely as long as I keep meticulous records of any transactions how can it be a issue?

Does anyone have any advice for me going into this meeting? How do I put my point across without getting angry and losing my rag? I want to appear calm and self assured and try to make them understand my predicament, but already I can feel my blood pressure rising and the appointment isn't until 11am! HELP!!!!
  • cavyslave
    Options
    Sorry, I posted this before I had read all the replies, just in case some of them have covered my points raised above :)
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately these meetings do seem to take an hour. I've dealt with 3 banks re a POA. Patience is definitely a virtue with this. Halifax & Barclays give online access & Barclays certainly give you your own card. Don't know about Halifax because they aren't card accounts. Nationwide give a card but do not allow online access. Hope this helps if you decide to move the account or have an additional one.

ETA - Barclays even gave me a Barclaycard in my name
  • cavyslave
    Options
    Great news! Santander have changed their rules on issuing a debit card to attorneys with a LPA. I will be able to get a card after all ��
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • cavyslave
    Options
    Sorry folks, another question..

Can anyone tell me if each page of the LPA on a certified copy needs to be signed and stamped by a solicitor, or just the first page?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Every page if my memory serves me well, a solicitor will know (& charge accordingly).
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure